Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

yet we still see it being used.

The Grumpy Gardener – The Daily South | Southern Living Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I've always hated the premise of this stuff. Never used it, never will.
I believe in recycling and finding creative ways to do it, but this one should be taken off the list.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:35 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Ain't it the truth! Rubber mulch? Talk about off-gassing of obnoxious carbon-containing chemicals. If you are someone who just loves the ease, colors, and maintenance properties of rubber mulch you would probably be better off using landscape cloth plus shredded tree bark around artificial flowers, shrubs, and palm trees. Ersatz landscaping at its most brilliant.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
This was a battle I lost with a school board for the playground base. Funny thing was, the landscaping crew was the loudest complainer after the fact stating that it was a problem for the ride on mowers!!!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
All the playgrounds in the city parks here have been redone in the last five or six years, and they used rubber mulch, which stinks to high heaven when the sun warms it up. I can not imagine a home owner using this stuff for anything.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:59 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I'm not impressed with colored wood mulch either after having my gloves and walkways stained from them. Dyes and a natural product combo is even worse than rubber mulch to me. I used to get cocoa hull mulch at a reasonable price until Hershey moved operations from Pennsylvania to Mexico and miss using it.

In NY I now have river rock in the beds next to the house, mulch away from the house. In FL, I have mulch around 3/4 of the house, but have heard too that it's a haven for termites and other bugs. The previous owners have rubber mulch on the shady side of the house. It looks like red mulch and doesn't smell. I've needed to add to the regular mulch every year and haven't had to add to the rubber mulch in four years. I've been waiting to replace it, that may not happen. The other owners also had red lava rock around a bush, the lawn mover loved those!

I'm not sure what I want to eventually use there. I've been taking all the shells and shark teeth we collect at the beach and slowly filling one area with them. This could take a while.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-19-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Rubber mulch is a stupid idea
Amen.

A lot of rubber mulch is now being removed from playgrounds due to the hazardous chemicals that kids were being exposed to. The same goes for pressure-treated wood on playground equipment.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
All the playgrounds in the city parks here have been redone in the last five or six years, and they used rubber mulch, which stinks to high heaven when the sun warms it up. I can not imagine a home owner using this stuff for anything.
It really does stink. Thankfully, no one in my neighborhood uses it. Now if they'd only do away with the red mulch. That stuff is hideous.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:42 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
We hear things, We read things, but sometimes we don't know things until we experience it. Aside from the chemical crap, water never got underneath there. I had it under a Japanese Maple tree. Removed it after a month when I realized its a garbage idea. Great to hold weeds down sure, but also looks hideous...

And I agree, Red mulch is hideous too. That is going the way of aol and black trim on Hi-Hats

Old 05-19-2016, 02:15 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
We hear things, We read things, but sometimes we don't know things until we experience it. Aside from the chemical crap, water never got underneath there. I had it under a Japanese Maple tree. Removed it after a month when I realized its a garbage idea. Great to hold weeds down sure, but also looks hideous...

And I agree, Red mulch is hideous too. That is going the way of aol and black trim on Hi-Hats
Ha ha! Reminds me of my mom. She loved her AOL and red mulch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden