Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 05:24 PM

88 posts, read 142,415 times

Advertisements

I am fairly new to growing things from seeds.

I have 16 corn, 6 beans and 2 squash seeds. I put them in little individual paper pots and dirt and water 2 days ago but nothing is happening.

I put them outside for more sunlight. the average temperature is 13-22 degrees Celsius. (55.4F -71.6F)

please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,893,517 times
Generally, each of the vegetable seeds you listed can be sown directly into prepared garden soil.

But if you are determined to start in pots...2 days is not enough time!

...the seeds must soften a bit, break out of the covering...develop a tiny stalk then begin to grow up and out of the soil.

Depending on seed type: 5-10 days
Lots of veggie-growing sites online

Be patient...there is quite a miracle happening

Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
It's only been 2 days?! Just sit back, RELAX, and wait. If nothing happens in 2 weeks, then there is a problem, lol.

Two days is not nearly enough time, they gotta grow, and do that under the ground for a little while before they sprout.

Are you growing them inside in the pots or outside?

I start 95% of my garden every year inside in Feb and March (some in Jan) and plant them in late March early April in this area.

Good luck, and have patience!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,797,962 times
Unless you planted magic beans the normal time for all three is, at the earliest, 7 days and it is reasonable for it to be as long as 2 weeks for the corn. This information should have been on your seed packs. If you moved the pots into the sun I hope you do not have them sitting in a hot place like an asphalt driveway (I had people ask me why their seeds didn't sprout and found out that is what they did). Watch that they are not drying out or sitting in water and not being cooked by being in a too hot area.

You also should have put them right into the ground with average temps like you have been getting so that they don't get additional transplant shock later in hotter weather. It might be a good idea anyway.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Default patience.........easier said than done

I can sympathize with the OP's impatience. This Spring is my first garden in decades and a must check the peppers, beans and tomato plants at least 3 times a day to see if I can notice any new growth. I started with plants so already the OP has more patience than I.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
A couple of months ago, I had some grapefruit given to me. I loooovvvveeee grapefruit. When I was cutting them up, I took a couple of the seeds out. I dampened a piece of paper towel, put it in a little plastic container, laid the seeds on top of the paper towel and put a piece of plastic wrap over the top.

I put the container on a little shelf in the kitchen. About two and a half or three weeks later, I looked and lo and behold! there was a green shoot coming up. I took the plastic off and put the container on the window sill. The green shoot never progressed but four more shoots came up. I now have them in a small pot of dirt and they're about 3 in. tall with four leaves each. It will be interesting to see how big I can get them to grow. I don't expect to have grapefruit but it's nice to have free house plants!!

The most important thing to have when you try to grow a garden is patience.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM

wow! thanks everyone!
Okay!
nothing super hot or super dry for the seeds.
put them in a plastic cup and wet paper towel.
plant them directly.
get some magic beans.
patience. got it!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrk9a View Post
wow! thanks everyone!
Okay!
nothing super hot or super dry for the seeds.
put them in a plastic cup and wet paper towel.
plant them directly.
get some magic beans.
patience. got it!

Thanks again everyone!
Excuse me. If you ask a question of thousands of people, you can be sure to get a variety of answers. People are telling you what worked for them. Maybe they aren't growing because you're giving them too much snark?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,797,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Excuse me. If you ask a question of thousands of people, you can be sure to get a variety of answers. People are telling you what worked for them. Maybe they aren't growing because you're giving them too much snark?

Thank you for my first laugh of the day. Snark indeed! The funny thing is that I actually laughed out loud when I read the initial OP because of the childish expectation that things would instantly pop up and grow like magic beans. Then I thought back to all the times I have been asked why something didn't grow and all the really strange ways people did things for lack of know how, like thinking they should be kept on a driveway to get hot sun, or sitting in a pot without drainage so that the soil was wet enough to support mosquitoes, or that handling a seedling with almost no roots to plant them from the sprouting pot causes fatal cases of transplant shock. I figured I might as well be nice and give an answer that covered the bases. Sometimes it isn't worth the effort.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM

more ideas the better actually.
seeds are not THAT expensive and I would like to try out different methods now rather than next year.
I keep a detail log of what I have tried and see what works best. I am going to try all of the above and next year, I will be farming like a boss.

by the way, does anyone know much about growing mushrooms? I love mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden