Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:26 PM

20,224 posts, read 9,137,135 times

Advertisements

I save 3K a month and I've been retired 17 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 04:05 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,062,902 times
I think of myself as being frugal, and could save a good bit more by cutting out my little "daily pleasures" but the older I get the more these little daily pleasures mean to me.

So I continue with my frequent Starbucks and indie coffee shop visits, my plant purchases, Hello Fresh, etc.

Yes, it all adds up but unless one has limited disposable cash there is little reason to deprive oneself of the little joys in life.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,212,772 times
We are already frugal, trying to find places to cut. We go out to eat for dinner once a month, maybe. We eat lunch or breakfast out if medical appointments dictate the timing. I was on a plan F Medicare supplement, dropped to a plan G to save money. If I ever have the money to go back to an F, I can because I was on an F after 2020. We just traded in our car that we owned for a lease that will save us an average of 5k a year.

Being retired means our budget is tight already and with the cost of food going up, our food budget is tightly managed even more than it was.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:38 AM

32,725 posts, read 48,333,377 times
It gets harder to save money. It used to be, you could get the budget under control and coast along at that level. No longer. My electric bill is this month is $50 over the same bill a year ago and I used less electricity this month than I used a year ago. $50 more for less electricity used in April, a year later.

You would have to do a lot of budget cutting just to tread water.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:33 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,751,256 times
Where I'm not frugal is in food and use of the thermostat, but I can live lean if forced.

Estimates:

Food: Current average food bill (lifetime average): $345 per month. I could eat okay for about half, so $172.50. That's enough to get four courses, but lends itself more to PB&J days. I hate cooking.
Health insurance: $420.67 per month. I only deem it essential due to fear, but would love to cut it out entirely.
Car insurance: $136.13. I don't have to have full coverage, so I could drop that to just liability for around $60 or whatever the inflated rate is since last time I was paying $52.36 for just liability. At $60, that's a savings of $76.13.
Electric: I like to be at a comfortable temperature at all times, so I won't make cutbacks here. Zero savings.
Internet/cable: I have cable for the NHL playoffs and a handful of channels I will watch occasionally, but I'm not into traditional TV watching anymore; I sometimes want it there to turn on as background while doing other things. Total bill for both internet and cable is $153.26. I can drop the cable for $82.49 in savings. Even there, I can drop high-speed internet altogether and just use my phone which is $35 per month. I could cut out the entire $153.26 if I needed to get lean.

Total savings (w/health insurance): $401.89
Total savings (w/o health insurance): $822.56

Old 04-26-2024, 05:17 AM

888 posts, read 774,388 times
We currently save 15%. I could save another 15% if we cut out hobbies, travel, and the cleaning lady. However, all three of those things make life easier and more fun.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:46 PM

42,009 posts, read 75,416,775 times
I could cut my grocery bill a little by buying less expensive versions of some items - coffee (the big one), canned tuna (I'm fussy about that, too), make iced tea at home instead of buying it in a bottle (should do that anyway), eat less meat (tough when you're on a low-carb food plan) or eat less expensive meats.

I could get a cheaper phone plan, cancel cable or at the very least get rid of the second cable box and cut Showtime from my plan.

I could cut out or reduce spending on entertainment, clothing, jewelry, and other extremely discretionary purchases.

Can't cut travel, with my mom in an assisted living facility 350 miles away, my siblings 500 miles away, and my boyfriend in Florida 800 miles away (if he'd just move in with me already we could save a ton of money! LOL).

I'm hoping for another cool-ish summer where I don't have to run the downstairs AC, only using the upstairs AC to cool my bedroom at night.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,104,477 times
I'm already pretty optimized currently. I suppose I could cut out my family gym membership, but we use it and it probably saves money on medical bills in the long run. We could cut one or all of our streaming subscriptions (Netflix, Disney+, and Prime), but we get a lot of enjoyment out of them for only about $40/mo. Not worth it to cut it. Finally, I suppose we could get rid of one of our vehicles, so that would save about $700/mo between the vehicle and insurance and maintenance, but it would make like a fair bit harder given my wife and I both work and we have to drop off and pick up our child from school. Eating out less might save us $150/mo.

I suppose cutting out all of those things combined would save us $1,000/mo, but I currently put away $2k per month plus my annual bonus which is close to $20k after taxes, plus $1,500/mo of my mortgage payment goes towards principle (thanks to a 2.75% mortgage rate). Given we're already adding roughly $5,200/mo to our net worth, saving the additional $1k/mo would be pretty nominal considering what we'd be losing in quality of life.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:50 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,300,010 times
I spend approximately $2,200 per month on expenses all in. That is mortgage, HOA, insurance, bills, some gas and food.

I COULD cut out a few subscriptions, alcohol, buy less organic foods and save about $250ish a month.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:56 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,300,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I could cut my grocery bill a little by buying less expensive versions of some items - coffee (the big one), canned tuna (I'm fussy about that, too), make iced tea at home instead of buying it in a bottle (should do that anyway), eat less meat (tough when you're on a low-carb food plan) or eat less expensive meats.

I could get a cheaper phone plan, cancel cable or at the very least get rid of the second cable box and cut Showtime from my plan.

I could cut out or reduce spending on entertainment, clothing, jewelry, and other extremely discretionary purchases.

Can't cut travel, with my mom in an assisted living facility 350 miles away, my siblings 500 miles away, and my boyfriend in Florida 800 miles away (if he'd just move in with me already we could save a ton of money! LOL).

I'm hoping for another cool-ish summer where I don't have to run the downstairs AC, only using the upstairs AC to cool my bedroom at night.
This is a hard one for me. For me it's cold brew coffee. I buy the Chameleon branded cold brew. It is $10 per bottle. It's just so dang good though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living