Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 10:21 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
You're more than welcomed to give it all away to a local charity since you don't seem to be saving it for any reason.

Many people who don't spend money, still need it for emergencies, to help family/friends, or for a future inheritance to their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 10:22 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The entire economy of the USA is predicated on people buying stuff or services. It is like our duty to buy crap nobody needs or wants for more than a few months. The number of storage places being built shows us we have more than we need or use. Now we pay for places to stash it.

As long as you and yours have what they need, don’t worry about it. Shopping is a PITA.
Curiously enough, the question of a storage space is outside the parameters of my equations. That is, for all I have, putting it in a storage place is out of the question. For then, it is in a place, out of sight, out of mind, and very likely to be never visited, seen again.

SO, find something in you that limits you from partaking in all our wonderful consumer world has to offer.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:26 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
The first investment you should make with your money -- before all others -- is in your health.

If you are not healthy, live can get very, very complicated.

I "invest" in healthy food, a gym membership, proper shoes, a nice mattress, the occasional supplement, etc.

Then, everything else follows.

Without your health, you have nothing.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:16 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I just completed a health program associated with my insurance company. I'd planned to increase my exercise over the winter anyway so I signed up since they were giving hundred-dollar gift certificates for completion. There were three choices for where to apply it - Barnes & Noble, Land's End or one of the popular coffee shop chains.

I don't need any clothes and can't imagine spending that amount of money at a coffee shop so I chose Barnes & Noble. Now I'm having trouble buying a hundred dollars of new books. I like old books with personality, some reader wear and tear, and have been buying books second hand for decades. I can take them anywhere and not worry about damaging them.

We too, have reached that spot of security and abundance and I've discovered that after years of careful spending, other than on food or the occasional apparel, I have reservations about spending when I don't have to.

I'll spend in a minute if I have a sense of deprivation. It's just that deprivation isn't a feeling I have very often.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:51 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Now I'm having trouble buying a hundred dollars of new books. I like old books with personality, some reader wear and tear, and have been buying books second hand for decades. I can take them anywhere and not worry about damaging them.
Agreed, I'm the same way. I'm okay with spending full price on a special book, say a hardcover or special edition. But for everyday reading I go to the used book stores or the library book sale.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:11 PM

249 posts, read 115,446 times
It could be worse OP...I had extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, so I went out and bought a new luxury SUV for $90k I really didn't need. The Kia Telluride I had wasn't that bad. Now I'm stuck w/ new SUV...ugh...a senseless impulse buy.

It has so many warning sounds, its driving me nuts...I can't figure out how to turn them all off.

I like buying stuff less than I used to. I wouldn't let it bother you if there's nothing you want to buy right now. Something might catch your eye down the road, & you'll be able to buy it...like a 1972 Ford Bronco w/o any warning systems.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:31 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on.
I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house.
I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
No, it certainly isn't! As an American, you're supposed to spend, spend, spend.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:18 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
No, it certainly isn't! As an American, you're supposed to spend, spend, spend.
No joke. I remember some time during the Bush 2 years when there was a campaign where every taxpayer got a $300 stimulus check, with a push that they go out and spend it on material crap they don't need to give the economy a boost. Wow, three hundred whole dollars! The world is my oyster now!

Most people probably used it to go towards rent or bills, or straight toward existing credit card debt.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:43 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Looking at some of your posts - you may want to work on some improvements on single guy and home.
i would think he would be considered "a catch" from a prospective mate's point of view because he is able to save, and he lives simply. Those to me are very positive attributes. He said he saves money and does not spend it on a lot of stuff. I think that is a very desirable trait. Plus he is not into cars and bars. More good traits. He states he has hobbies. So he is not miserable or bored or complaining.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:50 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I was younger I had more things that I wanted to buy. Now I have completed all the must see travel places on my bucket list, have my condo furnished just how I want it and don’t need a lot of new clothes. I have massively downsized and am very content. Buying habits can be different at various stages.
yes. there is nothing wrong with that all.
i am the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living