Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 08:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I shop at about a dozen different Goodwills in my state (depending where I am that weekend for different things), and all have the same color of the week. Maybe my state is unique, but I doubt it. I will say that I once found a 99-cent color tag on an item and, when I went to buy it, heard one clerk say to another, "I thought we pulled all of those!" So maybe there's some corruption going on there; said, "I don't think you're supposed to say that, haha..." I no longer frequent that particular store; all the others always have plenty of stuff in stock.

I wouldn't call the prices "laughably high," by any means; they're higher than they used to be, but you'd still pay A LOT more for the same item new. If that's someone's preference, of course that's their choice. I prefer to "save it here to spend it there" (my motto).

I did also stop at a Salvation Army since it was close (no, I'm not a compulsive shopper, lol, but have gone up a few sizes, unfortunately, and am accepting that I need "fatter" clothes). Got a 99-cent sundress and a half price top thanks to the color-coded discount.

Also, if GW's reputation is suffering, you sure can't tell it by the volume of customers! They're always very busy, with long lines at checkout, and Sundays are next-level crowded.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-18-2023 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Who cares?

I generally do not shop at Goodwill because on the one hand their selection of clothes is not as extensive as other local thrift stores, and, their selection of clothes are generally not what I am looking for. I personally have not seen a 'treasure' in a Goodwill in ages, and I suspect this is because anything of decent value is likely going to be sold on their online store (or is snatched up by employees), which I do sometimes check out.

If you want to buy something specific, like an old-school sewing machine made back when sewing machines still had metal gears and little to no plastic, and will last for another 50 years, and for a decent price, you can't beat Goodwill online.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
^ yep, Goodwill have been very aggressive at collecting stuff before releasing it to the public. Their employees snatch items up too.

Until recently treasures could be found at their warehouse stores. People have found gold and silver. I have often scratched my head at the idea that some very expensive stuff end up in Goodwill.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:09 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
I wouldn’t donate anything to any thrift shops anymore. The entire model has been hijacked by greedy people who hung all of the good items and buy them to resell on eBay. I am shocked at the greed. My coworker does this and took me to a thrift shop during lunch. I saw a bunch of animals who are looking up items on their phone, shoving people aside as if they are grabbing the last Cabbage Patch doll for Christmas. They all stand around and wait for the new cart to be wheeled out as if they are waiting on a line to buy Beatles tickets for reunion concert. And in response to that, the Thrift stores are raising their prices to reflect the fact that everyone is reselling their items. So, whereas an old 45 rpm record used to be 50 cents, it is not $3.99. An old stuffed animal that cost $1 a few years ago are now $5 or $10. These greedy people have ruined these stores for people with little money to buy a used toy for their child or older pots and pans.

So, I no longer donate my old records or toys, clothes or anything anymore because I know these greedy monsters are going to buy them only to sell them for a profit. That is not why donate. I want to help someone that needs something at a low price. I am not interested in helping greedy people make a profit for items I intend to reach people on a limited income. So, I either give them to people who I know need the items or will simply throw it away.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I belong to a Buy Nothing group and would rather offer there or to people I know.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:22 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
Goodwill stores do not all have the same color of the week nor do they offer the same sales prices. I think the don't allow returns, but probably every store is different when it comes to exchange or refund.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Goodwill stores do not all have the same color of the week nor do they offer the same sales prices. I think the don't allow returns, but probably every store is different when it comes to exchange or refund.
I can't imagine why they'd all be different (?) but, if so, then I guess I'm fortunate to live where I do; the stores near me more than meets my needs.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:37 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I belong to a Buy Nothing group and would rather offer there or to people I know.
I belong to my local one and unfortunately I think there are people on there who get stuff and sell it, too. There are one or two names who grab just about everything that comes up. I swear that they sit at the computer all day and wait for stuff to come up as I can't believe they can grab things a minute or less after it is posted.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 4,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't feel the need to support Christian missionary work.

Is Goodwill a Christian non-profit? Most people (myself included) probably don't know that. Some people might have a problem with that, but whatever.

Old 07-27-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I belong to my local one and unfortunately I think there are people on there who get stuff and sell it, too. There are one or two names who grab just about everything that comes up. I swear that they sit at the computer all day and wait for stuff to come up as I can't believe they can grab things a minute or less after it is posted.
Ours is full of people begging for things and giving sob stories to justify it. I'd rather hang out at Goodwill.

And I've never heard that it's a "Christian organization." If it is, they certainly don't advertise that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living