Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 07:00 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

I tend to debate whether doing something "worth it" when it comes to saving money.

For example, I saw (on a YouTube segment) a person talking about collecting the water that runs while she's waiting for the water to get warm.

Of course a person could get an instant hot water fixture. But like many people, I just let the water run a bit to warm up.

Well, in my case I'm wondering -- given the size of the sink, the way I have to capture the water to then funnel it into another container if the extra effort and time are worth it

And capturing the water slows my down getting ready in the morning....because while I'm capturing the running water -- I'm NOT brushing my teeth. And because I'm taking longer to get that done -- perhaps more water is running than if I just let it run and brushed my teeth and be done with it.

Even when I saw the video segment about this, I was asking my self is that really worth it?

This morning I tried it for the first time and captured ONE GALLON of water.

I suppose I'm wondering is a gallon a day worth it....and ....am I really willing to do these extra steps on a daily basis. And ALSO -- is a gallon a day worth it IF I'm only willing to do it twice or three times a week. And what about the "extra" water that's running while I'm doing all this -- that sort of negates -- at least in part -- the reason to even do all this.

Thoughts?

AND as the title asks -- as frugal as you are....have you had some frugality ideas you tried that for you -- you just didn't think were worth it....in time spent or money saved?

I know I don't:
-- drive as far as I used to to save on gas prices.
-- or shop and three to four supermarkets just to "shop sales." I used to go to additional supermarkets to get one or two things on sale. Unless they were non-perishables it got to not be worth it to me to spend most of my day grocery shopping and burning gas to go to the two additional stores to "save money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 07:45 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
When I take a shower (I don't do this every day) I set my washer on ""Small" load and "Hot" temperature and start it to catch the water there. I then have hot water for my shower as this clears out the cold water from the pipes. Then, when I go to do laundry, I either have hot/warm water for normal or white loads, or cold water to do a load of colors first.

Contrary to the title of this thread, I find this is worth it in not wasting water.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I suspect the not wasting water thing is not about saving money. It is done in areas that have water shortages.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:21 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
I think, for most people, it's being penny-wise pound foolish.

They focus so much on the 3 cents they lose by leaving LED lights on overnight, or from the $1 of water they save showing quicker.

When they could spend more time into major decisions they make (like car, house, location, marriage). And putting more time into getting skills for their career.

Taking some courses and getting some certifications can make you $10-20k+ more per year. Or putting a serious amount of time into revamping your resume. Using that same time to focus on cutting out coupons to save a few hundred dollars isn't worth it.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:41 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect the not wasting water thing is not about saving money. It is done in areas that have water shortages.
Where I live (Southern California) it certainly is.

We don't like the taste of our tap water, so we have a Berkey filter next to the kitchen sink. While I'm running water waiting for it to get hot (to wash hands, hand-wash dishes, or start the dishwasher) I collect that water in a pitcher and immediately pour it into the Berkey. No water wasted.

If it's during the majority of the year when it is not raining, and the Berkey is already full, I empty the pitcher into a potted plant outside. That's one plant more I don't have to water with the hose.

On the different subject of frugality, I don't do one-stop grocery shopping because we greatly prefer specific products that are not all at the same store. But I time my Costco, ethnic market, and farmer's market trips for when I am either driving to or from work, as those stores are all right on the way. The other two stores (Ralphs/Kroger and Trader Joe's, and Target as well) are in walking distance, so I either walk, or if I drive, it's a very short way.

Obviously I don't get all my grocery shopping done in one day. So that's the trade-off, but it is also not a big deal to me to make a number of short stops when I am passing right by the store anyway.

We have five adults (two parents, three "kids") in our household, but rather than having everyone doing small loads of their personal laundry here and there, I collect it and do it all together on the weekend. It's a little more work for me, but I'm happier knowing that only full loads are being washed. Saves both water and power. If my kids desperately need something washed NOW and it's not the weekend, they ask other family members to contribute additional laundry to make up a full load.

But to the point of things that seem frugal but turn out not to be, the major one for me is buying cheap quality (anything). Whether that is cheap clothes that fall apart or develop holes after two washes, or cheap plastic kitchenware that cracks, or cheap electronics that stop working, you name it, I find that if I spend a little more and get a high quality product in the first place, it lasts forever and I save money by never having to buy it again.

Last edited by saibot; 11-16-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-16-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
When I take a shower (I don't do this every day) I set my washer on ""Small" load and "Hot" temperature and start it to catch the water there. I then have hot water for my shower as this clears out the cold water from the pipes. Then, when I go to do laundry, I either have hot/warm water for normal or white loads, or cold water to do a load of colors first.
That's interesting. I might try it.

BUT...my showers are so long that I use up all the hot water.
So I don't know if I want to use any of it in the washing machine!

As it is now I get in the shower as soon as it's warm enough, and have to stop when it gets too cold.
What can I say I LOVE LONG showers. I just stand under it and let it the warm/hot water wash over me like a warm hug! It's heaven.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:20 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's interesting. I might try it.

BUT...my showers are so long that I use up all the hot water.
So I don't know if I want to use any of it in the washing machine!

As it is now I get in the shower as soon as it's warm enough, and have to stop when it gets too cold.
What can I say I LOVE LONG showers. I just stand under it and let it the warm/hot water wash over me like a warm hug! It's heaven.
You should do what the Japanese do. Take a quick shower to wash off dirt and oil, then soak in a hot tub for as long as you like.

They reuse and reheat the tub water, by the way.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

They reuse and reheat the tub water, by the way.
I'd have to think about that.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:43 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Undershirts. After several months of washes they shrink and become discolored.

I have to throw them out and get new ones. No more re-wearing jacked up undershirts.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:12 AM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Here's an interesting idea...it allows you to wash your hands above the toilet tank, then reuses that water when you flush the toilet next time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SinkPosi...4-01/205088518
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living