Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 10:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I work for a non profit, in a retail setting. We always ask at checkout if the customer would like to round up to benefit the charity, in addition to the profit from their purchase. I alway tell them it goes directly to the organization, as does the profit from their purchase. It’s usually a matter of a few pennies, most say yes, a lot say no. The pennies do add up, and every little bit does help.

How are you really sure that the business is actually sending the money to the charity as they say they are? I think that the ONLY company that I would trust in that respect in McDonalds and in their case, the money is deposited at the register, not added to the till.

Second, have you heard of some of the charities that some of the retailers are asking you to contribute to? I know that I am pretty aware of the local and national charities and some of the charities that retailers are giving to are well, unknown to me.

Third, when I send out my money to charities, I would like to be the one making the decisions as to which organizations get the funds after I have taken the opportunity to visit the charities or do some basic due diligence.

Fourth, I do not like the "public shaming" that you get from some of the cashiers. Like the kid who says, "well, it is only 75 cents and YOU can afford that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 10:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Fourth, I do not like the "public shaming" that you get from some of the cashiers. Like the kid who says, "well, it is only 75 cents and YOU can afford that."
This is where I would no longer be polite. These clerks are required to ask, but it should end with a NO.

Personally, I hate being hit up for money every time I turn around. It's really common where I live, and after awhile, you just feel nickel and dimed to death.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I think I'll switch from "no thanks" (true; what are we thanking them for?) to "not today" (or any day).

Old 05-08-2022, 10:26 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Quote:
If I had some kid say that to me it might be the last time I shopped in that store and I would let the manager/owner know why. Maybe they should consider giving up some of their wages to be put to charity if it is such a small amount. Or maybe donate the money they manage to have to buy new phones and other stuff they don't really need. How rude!

I routinely just say no. I always pay by credit card so no problem with finding or getting change. I figure I would rather give a larger amount to the charity of my choice.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:08 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:

I've never had anyone say something like that to me. A good thing. Now I don't claim that this mind belongs to a genius, but that clerk would get a piece of it worth a lot more than 75 cents, and right smartly too!!!!

Old 05-08-2022, 01:21 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
I just say "not today". It is definitely a trend; haven't encountered it at a drive-through yet.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:31 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
I'm like Jack Benny when he was in that clothing store and he bought a shirt that came to $9.99 including tax. He handed the guy a $10 bill and the guy headed toward the cash register telling him he would get his change.
Jack Benny said, " I'll wait."

Old 05-09-2022, 12:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, it doesn't happen everywhere. Can't recall ever having a vendor ask me this.

"No" is a complete sentence. "No thank you" is a nicer version of it. No further details necessary.
Same here, there is a sign offering that opportunity, but no cashier has ever asked. I would probably do it if paying cash an getting a lot of change in coins, but I always use a debit card.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
How are you really sure that the business is actually sending the money to the charity as they say they are? I think that the ONLY company that I would trust in that respect in McDonalds and in their case, the money is deposited at the register, not added to the till.

"
The poster you are replying to works for the charity. The money isn't being sent anywhere, it's used to support the mission. I also help run a charity thrift operation, and while we don't ask anybody to "round up", many customers tell us to keep the change. That money is added to the day's deposit. Those deposits then provide funding for the many programs we operate.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:51 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The poster you are replying to works for the charity. The money isn't being sent anywhere, it's used to support the mission. I also help run a charity thrift operation, and while we don't ask anybody to "round up", many customers tell us to keep the change. That money is added to the day's deposit. Those deposits then provide funding for the many programs we operate.
Yes, exactly. Our “rounding up” is a fairly new development. I used to ask, “would you like to donate in addition to your purchase? It all goes to the organization.”

I’ve never ever “shamed” anyone, nor have I ever been told I could afford it, or been made to feel “less than” when I said “no” to a donation request. And I say no regularly, it’s not a big deal.

In my job, I’m obligated to ask. You, as the customer, are not obligated to say yes. I think if saying no makes you feel ashamed, it’s your own issue, not the asker’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living