Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:08 AM

193 posts, read 183,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
beware of strait talks customer service as it's noting like verizon or AT&T'S customer service. they can barley speak english and they will throttle you back when ever they feel like it even if you only use 10 MB of data!!
I haven't had any problems yet. I've never dealt with customer service though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
My son had Straight Talk AT&T service and it does NOT include visual voicemail so you have to dial in to retrieve voicemail. That wouldn't be too bad if they allowed the free 'youmail' app but they block it He then went to Cricket, but he couldn't update the operating system for his S5 Active and the updates were not available on the Samsung site so he switched to AT&T prepaid. For $40 a month he gets unlimited talk/text and 3gb of data without a speed cap. AT&T only provides visual voicemail with it's postpaid plans but at least with their prepaid you can use the youmail app.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Years of using hand me down iphones on pay as you go plans with jailbreaks and other tricks to make things sort of work led to me buying myself the latest and greatest outright (an SE) with all the new everything's that actually work, on a $45 a month Straight Talk plan that I've used for many years. I could save money by switching to something like Consumer Cellular and I may do that at some point, but currently everything is working without a hitch and I hesitate to rock the boat. Sometimes not having to worry about things is frugal enough.

I don't regret the purchase of the phone and hope it's a long term solution for me since I treat my phones right. My old 3gs and 4 are still operational and in tip top shape being used by others who don't mind doing without certain things and using my old tricks. But I've already decided that next time I'll probably go with a less expensive Andriod.

Last edited by Ceece; 10-14-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,222 times
With all the talk of these cell phones exploding and catching fire, I have been leaving mine at home more and not carrying it in my pocket. Hope it doesn't burn my house down.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,194,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My son had Straight Talk AT&T service and it does NOT include visual voicemail so you have to dial in to retrieve voicemail. That wouldn't be too bad if they allowed the free 'youmail' app but they block it He then went to Cricket, but he couldn't update the operating system for his S5 Active and the updates were not available on the Samsung site so he switched to AT&T prepaid. For $40 a month he gets unlimited talk/text and 3gb of data without a speed cap. AT&T only provides visual voicemail with it's postpaid plans but at least with their prepaid you can use the youmail app.
i'm on AT&T go phone and i get visual voice mail using an iphone 6plus

Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
I haven't had any problems yet. I've never dealt with customer service though
strait talks customer service sucks they can barely speak english hopefully you won't have to deal with em

Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
i'm on AT&T go phone and i get visual voice mail using an iphone 6plus
You are right! For some bizarre reason IPhones get visual voice mail but Androids dont

Old 10-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are right! For some bizarre reason IPhones get visual voice mail but Androids dont
that is strange that androids don't get visual voice mail but iphones do. if i was buying a top of the line samsung i would expect to get that feature. have you tried calling your local company owned AT&T store and asking them who androids don't get visual VM

Old 10-15-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
that is strange that androids don't get visual voice mail but iphones do. if i was buying a top of the line samsung i would expect to get that feature. have you tried calling your local company owned AT&T store and asking them who androids don't get visual VM
It's my son's phone, but the that's a good idea I will tell him to ask in a store thx

Old 10-15-2016, 04:12 PM

473 posts, read 503,211 times
I pay $40/2gb or $60/4gb monthly for one phone line on ATT gophone. Is totally adequate for adult phone doesn't game with multiple players and doesn't use phone for video. I do read ebooks on phone, newspapers, maps, internet searches, calls/text, hotspot/mifi and calendar/lists. I got Nokia Windows phone 18 months ago and just fine, just not a lot of shopping apps. Does not offer as many apps to use as IOS/Android but gets it done for someone cheap. Phone was $50 at Walmart. (Can get additional GB DATA by paying a small fee on website if you run out or camping/RV with phone. Would recommend you get a booster plan from Verizon if you plan to run internet from towers for RV living....Sometimes, Verizon is the more reliable internet carrier if you travel and ATT may just be marginal for phone calls/text, very little internet available out west for ATT except in big cities.)

My previous 2 years with refurbished Iphones was constantly replacing charger after charger as it just was not reliable and stopped charging after 1-2 months each....Really pleased with the Nokia Windows phone...It has been reliable comparably speaking to Iphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living