Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or you can find a cell phone that directs calls over WiFi rather than cellular networds.
I looked into this, too. I think it's Republic Wireless? Anyway, the phone was too expensive. You either pay around $250 for the phone, then $20/mo., or around $50 for the phone and $30/month, if I remember correctly. If you're going to use it at home to use wireless, Skype is cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM

306 posts, read 546,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I looked into this, too. I think it's Republic Wireless? Anyway, the phone was too expensive. You either pay around $250 for the phone, then $20/mo., or around $50 for the phone and $30/month, if I remember correctly. If you're going to use it at home to use wireless, Skype is cheaper.
I ended up with a temporary fix - for $10 extra / month, I can call all the countries I usually call, and that's a flat rate, no per minute charge, but I can only call landlines. That works OK for now. (It's with TMobile for those who are interested in knowing). It also covers unlimited texting to and from all international numbers. I say it's temporary because I'd like the option to call cell-phones sometimes, and other times you just don't know if you're calling a number that's a cell or a home phone, well the first time you call anyway. But it works well for now.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 5,219 times
I have tried few services. Here is my thinking on this:

1. Vonage - This service is great! Especially when you need to make domestic calls. Unfortunately they don't cover all countries for overseas calls. Also the Internet connection is required in order to use them.

2. Skype - Good choice. The call quality is great. No complains on that. The big minus is the calling rates to call other countries are expensive.

3. Google Voice - can't complain

4. Rebtel - not bad at all. Unfortunately the Mexico plane are expensive . They have smartphone apps for easy dialing.

5. 011Now.com - Looks like pay as you go service for calling other countries. They have smartphone apps for easy dialing. The give free credits for registering with them. Also they give calling credits if I invite friends. I am using them occasionally. It seems like Mexico is cheaper with them then the others (at least I tried this destination).

Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
[FONT=&quot]I use Smartgroshen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts. Get 0.5 euro at start.[/FONT]

Old 05-25-2014, 02:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
I used Phone Power VOIP. Cheaper than Vonage. Had good service. Have friends with State Dept that keep moving all over the world. It worked everywhere they lived.

When I moved to WI, couldnt get Phone Power anymore. When I moved back to the Twin Cities, I
would have signed up again with Phone Power but I got a killer deal for cable internet and phone from Comcast. $50 p mo.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Actually, there are new plans that are a lot less than that.

As for the COST of the phone, YOU are paying for your phone regardless of what plan you purchase. Republic is honest in breaking it out as a separate charge, The Big 4 hide the cost of the phone in the monthly contract prices that you are stuck paying.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I have used a free app on my iPhone called Viber that I have used to call a relative in Europe on. I believe its wifi so both may have to be in a zone, but I'm unclear about that. I also have Ooma Telo on my land line, domestic calls are virtually free, works out to about 11-12 cents/day, but I haven't used it for Europe yet. I gave a $10 deposit that it will draw from but you will have to go to Ooma's site for the rates overseas.

Haven't used google voice at all, but I hear a lot positive about it, worth checking out.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM

306 posts, read 546,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have used a free app on my iPhone called Viber that I have used to call a relative in Europe on. I believe its wifi so both may have to be in a zone, but I'm unclear about that. I also have Ooma Telo on my land line, domestic calls are virtually free, works out to about 11-12 cents/day, but I haven't used it for Europe yet. I gave a $10 deposit that it will draw from but you will have to go to Ooma's site for the rates overseas.

Haven't used google voice at all, but I hear a lot positive about it, worth checking out.
Thanks! Since my initial post last year I've switched to Republic Wireless ($10 a month for Wi-Fi calls and unlimited data on Wi-Fi) and at other times it works on the Sprint Network but with my $10 plan I don't get data on the go (that's $25 a month instead of $10). I LOVE my phone service and I feel that it's the best I've had (comparing to AT&T and TMobile). There are a couple minor issues that I find annoying but for $10 a month it's worth it!!

I have the Viber and Magic Jack apps for my international calls, so that's free! I've considered getting basic service like Ooma to have in addition to Republic, but for now I'm pretty happy with just a $10 bill / month.

I will definitely check out Google Voice though. Thanks for that tip!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Union Telecard has good rates and call quality. One can use it on their normal Land Line or Cellphone.

Calling Card | Phone Cards | International Phone Cards

Their minutes do not expire, no hidden fees or monthly charges.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Thanks! Since my initial post last year I've switched to Republic Wireless ($10 a month for Wi-Fi calls and unlimited data on Wi-Fi) and at other times it works on the Sprint Network but with my $10 plan I don't get data on the go (that's $25 a month instead of $10). I LOVE my phone service and I feel that it's the best I've had (comparing to AT&T and TMobile). There are a couple minor issues that I find annoying but for $10 a month it's worth it!!

I have the Viber and Magic Jack apps for my international calls, so that's free! I've considered getting basic service like Ooma to have in addition to Republic, but for now I'm pretty happy with just a $10 bill / month.

I will definitely check out Google Voice though. Thanks for that tip!
Did you get the Moto G? If so. How do you like it? If you have decent coverage with Sprint in your area this is definitely the way to go, as you will have a phone to use at home as well as a cell phone when your out. I have the Ooma and I'm pleased with it, as you can have all the phones you want all over the house.
So those two would make a good combo. You would pay about $4.50 a month in taxes for your Ooma, and $10 mo. for your Republic cell phone. So for less than $15 you have a home phone and a cell phone. Of course your toast if your internet goes out. I also keep a T-Mobile regular pre-pay phone on hand for those emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living