Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It doesn't save much with the old-style incandescent bulbs, but it would save a lot with fluorescent lights. They take a big surge of power to fire up, then very little to run once they're on.

So if you have a fluorescent light in the kitchen and are baking something in there while also doing something in another room, better to just leave the kitchen light on until you're finished in there rather than turn it on and off every time you go in there to check the oven or something. Fewer starts helps extend the life of the bulbs, too.

I also keep an LED nightlight on at night in the bathroom so if someone has to go in the middle of the night they don't have to flip on the light to see (which is a bigger deal for men than women, of course). The cost to run the LED all nigh is less than the cost to run the ceiling light for even a minute or two, plus turning on a bright light can release melatonin in your system which can make it hard to go back to sleep.

All excellent points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
This is a great thread!

We're retired. Because we were able to get the house and cars and some other properties paid for we are debt free and over 65. The reason I pointed out we are over 65 is that we get all sort of little tax breaks by being older.
Property tax goes down; in our area we don't pay property tax on the first 75,000 value of the house. The end result is, we only pay $900/year property tax.
Income tax goes down. We get an extra $7600 deduction for being over 65.
And then we pay less for movie tickets, senior coffee at McDonald's, and so forth.

We're not taking distribution for the 401(K) yet. When we do it will count as ordinary income, so I'll take the minimum allowed. It looks as if the insured savings we have will last us forever, though. It hasn't gone down at all since I retired in Dec, 2010.

It'll go down some next month, though; we're going to Bermuda Ok, that's not frugal. But we can afford it.

To all you younger people:
You've got some great ideas and good spirit. Keep working at it and everything you want will appear. Make a goal book and put pictures of things you want in it. You'll be surprised at what you can do.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Bought cheap generic version of decongestant.
Just wanted Dan to say that again. Look at the original and memorize the ingredient. Like diphenhydramine, which is Benedryl. Then trot yourself over to Dollar General and buy about 60 of them for $4.00.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Bought Marlboro Special Blend instead of regular Marlboros. Saved $8 on a carton.

Ate at home.

Put off laundry until tomorrow so I have full loads.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Bought Marlboro Special Blend instead of regular Marlboros. Saved $8 on a carton.

Ate at home.

Put off laundry until tomorrow so I have full loads.
Now That's the way to go, kill yourself cheaper!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
I did not leave the house today so no spending outside of the home and no shopping online for about 5 days now. I shop a lot online during the winter months but I only purchase things we do actually need so I'm not shopping just to shop.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Just wanted Dan to say that again. Look at the original and memorize the ingredient. Like diphenhydramine, which is Benedryl. Then trot yourself over to Dollar General and buy about 60 of them for $4.00.

Personally I would not do this, some of the products sold at Dollar General are not made by US Pharmaceutical companies and are not FDA approved for the ingredients, but that is just me and I don't know that for an absolute fact but I did read it somewhere at some point not long ago.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Like every morning, let water run hot in the shower and catch it in a bucket. For watering my flower garden.
Good idea!

I eat my breakfast at home but I did end up buying tea for .75 cents.
I also brought my lunch.
Going out to eat later with a living social deal.
And hopefully will get into a free comedy show later tonight. If not I will go to the movies with discount tickets.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 76,329 times
I avoided the coffee shop, which is even harder to do than usual when I'm on the road. I found a library to spend some time at instead.

also made sure to scan my Vons club card when at the grocery store, only bought items that had a special going on.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM

90 posts, read 311,752 times
Ate leftovers all day yesterday. Opened the windows late at night instead of using the A/C. Didn't buy the coffee drink I wanted. Continue to use an antenna for t.v. And continue to use the cheapie cell phone plan and the "dumb" phone that everybody teases me about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living