Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

I have no idea. How much does the iPhone cost? By the way, what does it do, and why might I want one?

I'm serious. Somebody tell me what it does. If I google it, all I get is a lot of techno-doubletalk. What, in plain English, can I do with an iPhone?

Somebody who has one, tell me the last five things you did with it that you think might be of interest to me. Besides make a phone call, which I can do with my five-year-old prepaid $10 Tracfone, for $65 a year.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
- Corporate discounts (tons of large employers offer discounts somewhere around 10 to 15%)
- Spending less money in other areas
- Work pays for it
Corp discounts are big, I'm saving over 25% off my monthly phone bills. Some companies are only like 5% while some are as high as 27%

Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
A hundred bucks a month for a device that doubles as multiple devices, is really not any more than we paid in years past for a combination of comparatively crude devices, which approximated only the basic communications functions of today's smartphones.

For less money per month than a circa 1990s home phone, I can access a computer halfway across the world from my mobile device, from the comfort of my first class seat, blazing across the country at 35,000 feet.

I must be getting old, because I now say things like "I remember my first mobile phone". It was installed in my car in the 80s. There was a mile of cable buried somewhere in my car to feed the trunk mounted transceiver, the rear window mounted antenna, and the center console mounted handset. The phone cost me $300 at that time. Don't even ask about the monthly bill. And all it did was make phone calls.

Having said all of that, it is definitely possible to buy less expensive smartphones than an iPhone. The market is very competitive, as smartphones have gradually become a staple.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Here in LA it seems virtually everyone is carrying an iPhone. Many of these people I notice are also students with part time income or those that are in lower end jobs. I am truly surprised just how many people have one considering how expensive a device it is, especially the monthly service. Do you think this is just a reflection of our society living above their means?
No idea about LA, but my son got one as soon as they came out, plus he can afford it. It's small - unlike his laptop - he can use it to email, chat, talk, cruise the net, use it as an ipod or ereader... he has multiple email addresses, he can chat with multiple people simultaneously, and oddly enough, it works when at times the available satellite phone doesn't. It works for him, but his situation isn't exactly normal because of what he does for a living.

Oh, when he got his laptop, he paid around 3K for it, and the ISP wasn't that much less than having the data plan for his iPhone. All he ever used the laptop for was to download music to his iPod, anyway - he just wanted the best he could buy at the time.

Last edited by karibear; 04-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What, in plain English, can I do with an iPhone?

Somebody who has one, tell me the last five things you did with it that you think might be of interest to me. Besides make a phone call, which I can do with my five-year-old prepaid $10 Tracfone, for $65 a year.
- Check E-Mail
- Keep a calendar
- Search for a restaurant or movie theater closest to your location (the phone has GPS built in)
- instead of having a GPS unit, the phone is a GPS unit
- instead of having a MP3 player or CDs, your phone can hold music

I don't have one but hubby has a smart phone.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
This doesn't apply just to iPhones, but most young people keep a cell phone but don't pay for a home phone, so their cell phone is their only phone bill.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
- Check E-Mail
- Keep a calendar
- Search for a restaurant or movie theater closest to your location (the phone has GPS built in)
- instead of having a GPS unit, the phone is a GPS unit
- instead of having a MP3 player or CDs, your phone can hold music

I don't have one but hubby has a smart phone.
How important is any of this REALLY? Can I not wait to get home to check my email? Can I not plan in advance where I want to eat and know where I am going? Why can't I use mapquest and print out the directions or write them down? Why can't I play a damn CD? Why would I even need an MP3?

People have been sold a bill of goods called CONSUMERISM and, IMHO, the sheep follow.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
How important is any of this REALLY?

Can I not wait to get home to check my email?
Sure you can. You can go home, turn on your computer that uses 300 watts of electricity just to check your email rather than a 5 watt phone.

Quote:

Can I not plan in advance where I want to eat and know where I am going? Why can't I use mapquest and print out the directions or write them down?

Sure you can, you can again, turn on your 300 watt computer to print out on a piece of paper from trees rather than use a 5 watt device that is not wasteful.
Quote:

Why can't I play a damn CD? Why would I even need an MP3?
Sure you can purchase a $12 CD full of 12 songs on a piece of plastic and play it on your bulky CD player that skips while you are jogging rather than spend 99 cents on the single song you want to play on a 5 watt device.
Quote:

People have been sold a bill of goods called CONSUMERISM and, IMHO, the sheep follow.
Maybe you should take an economics class. Consumerism is good for the economy. Everyone benefits from it.

Oh, and did I mention, that 5 watt device also makes phone calls? I mean, you're right... why own a 5 watt device when you can own a seperate phone, a computer, a printer, a cd player and a bunch of plastic cases full of plastic discs.

Did you even think when you created your post? I've never seen someone argue being so wasteful as a good thing.

And for the record, I do not have an iPhone.

Last edited by NJBest; 04-20-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,091 times
If you ask a TeaBagger they'll tell ya they're all on welfare.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Whatever, a bunch of consumerist sheeple whose values are completely out of whack. You know, keeping up with the Joneses seems to NEVER go out of style.

Oh, and BTW, NJBest, why don't you try volunteering as a way to help people instead of buying crap you don't need? I work at a food bank once a week. Quantify that.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 04-20-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living