Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I found some rentals online. I am hoping that you could make comments if you know anything about each. I would appreciate it very much.

Jefferson Chase on Prospect Blvd.

Creekside at Taskers Chance on Burgess Hill

Baker Place on Willowdale Dr.

Frederick Greenes Apartments on Motter Ave.

Most recommend Downtown Frederick and near & north of Hood College so all of them are in that area except Frederick Greenes Apartments would be closer to my potential job in Worman's Mill area.
The 2nd one seems to be "retirement community"?

I'm not too familiar myself with rentals in the city in general so I can't help you much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 03:43 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The income tax in Maryland hits pretty hard. You'd likely be in the 5% +/- range but the Counties also have what's called the Piggyback Tax based on your state income tax. Frederick County's is 2.96% so your total income tax load is just under 8%.

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/indivi.../tax-rates.php

You don't have to file a separate return for the Piggyback Tax, your employer deducts it and remits it to the State which then sends it to the County (if you live in an incorporated municipality it will get a piece of it).
What is Piggyback Tax? What is it for?

According to my research with numbers used as estimates, $80,429 offer may sound like a huge salary increase from $59,000 in Texas; however, heavy Maryland taxation along with federal would result in only $11,000 increase in salary for (net) because I am moving from a state with no state income tax.

500+ in monthly rental there plus deductibles for insurance, dental/vision, and retirement will basically eat up that extra $11,000. It makes me wondering if it is really worth the move to Maryland in my opinion. The possibility of buying a home later in Maryland will be even harder due to the close proximity to Washington, D.C.

No relocation package really hurts too. I was floored by the estimate from U-Haul that it will cost me around $4,750 alone to haul from Texas to Maryland.

I will see how the counter-offer goes first. If there is no increase in the offer, I think I will just stay in Texas. I'm just being realistic using my common sense.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:46 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
What is Piggyback Tax? What is it for?

According to my research with numbers used as estimates, $80,429 offer may sound like a huge salary increase from $59,000 in Texas; however, heavy Maryland taxation along with federal would result in only $11,000 increase in salary for (net) because I am moving from a state with no state income tax.

500+ in monthly rental there plus deductibles for insurance, dental/vision, and retirement will basically eat up that extra $11,000. It makes me wondering if it is really worth the move to Maryland in my opinion. The possibility of buying a home later in Maryland will be even harder due to the close proximity to Washington, D.C.

No relocation package really hurts too. I was floored by the estimate from U-Haul that it will cost me around $4,750 alone to haul from Texas to Maryland.

I will see how the counter-offer goes first. If there is no increase in the offer, I think I will just stay in Texas. I'm just being realistic using my common sense.
The Piggyback Tax is an income tax the Counties levy. It's based on the Maryland State Income Tax.

What's it for? Whatever the County you live in uses taxes for-schools, law enforcement, Courts, ballfields, etc.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:48 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
I forget if you said you had ever visited Frederick, or if your interview was in person. If you haven't visited, I would recommend it if the money ends up being equal. At that point, pick the place you like to live more. If/when you learn more about the area, you can find cheaper places to live in neighboring counties that you may like just as much as Frederick City.

I have never been to Dallas/Fort Worth, but I am willing to bet that western exurban fringe of DC is a different place with a different feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick