Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

Is this town safe?

Are people generally friendly?

Is this its own town, or a FW suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 12:42 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronDance View Post
Is this town safe?

Are people generally friendly?

Is this its own town, or a FW suburb?
I'm there on business frequently, it's a very safe town. Has its own police department. People are generally friendly. I'd say it's family-friendly. They have a nice library. An older Kroger store is on the edge lf town. Small businesses there tend to do well if not thrive, they get a lot of folks from over the state line besides locals.

From downtown FW to downtown New Haven is about 5 miles.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 884 times
Thank you for responding!

Old 05-29-2023, 11:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronDance View Post
Thank you for responding!
Only thing people might take issue with there that I could think of are the trains. They tend to block roads in town from time to time.

Another consideration might be schools, I don't know how well rated the schools are in New Haven.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:36 AM

174 posts, read 243,731 times
It borders on its south westside with some of the seedier parts of Ft Wayne, but honestly, that is more of the rural or the industrial parts of New Haven in that area.

The commercial district, downtown, and most housing is more than far enough away from there to not have to worry about crime. The few times I've been through there I've never felt unsafe. And really in the "seedier" parts of Ft Wayne near the border with New Haven I've never felt unsafe in either.

I do really like some of their parks like Moser. And they have a great connection point to the Maumee River Trail which goes all the way into downtown Ft Wayne.

New Haven feels like it's own town. It really hasn't, and even SouthEast Ft Wayne area haven't, seen the growth explosion that you have more on the North and West sides. Maybe because of 469 constraints, border with Ohio, or other factors. I also don't know much about the schools so maybe that is why it hasn't exploded in growth. It has a quaint downtown with several blocks of more local shops/restaurants/bars.

You can get to downtown Ft Wayne fairly quickly or it's not far to 469 for getting around to other parts of Ft Wayne or big cities if needed (though it adds to your commute vs western Ft Wayne suburbs. It definitely has a slower feel to it than Ft Wayne. As HowardRoarke mentioned trains CAN be a nuisance but most of the town, other than downtown, is south of the train tracks.

All in all I don't think it'd be a bad place. I haven't interacted with enough people to tell you if friendly or not, but in general it's not a bad area.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
I have extended family in New Haven, they've lived there for close to 30 years. In my experience, New Haven feels more like a small town adjacent to Fort Wayne than a suburb of Fort Wayne. They've never expressed any concern about crime, and I've never felt unsafe when I've been there. Seems like a pretty ordinary small Indiana town to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: