Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I know exactly what you both are saying. The "looks are deceiving ones" are scary. Someone might actually rent a place there. Most of the really, really bad complexes are pretty obvious. For giggles I took at Street View tour of some of them. Amazing stuff. Dope dealers hanging around. That google truck really gets some interesting photos!

What I find scary is how many good areas have now been taken over by nasty people. The area has grown larger. I had said that when the bust comes the area will become poorer, and it has. Even the bad complexes look even worse and I didn't think it was possible.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I was on my way home from my moms last night. I drive down Gladiolous and there were 2 dudes on the sidewalk with thier "pants on the ground" look. While driving by on of them waved and gave me some dumbass hand signal. The car behind us stopped.... Dealers... I hope it was an undercover officer.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I've heard the same thing about these places. But, now they are both incomed based housing and the type of ppl that live there are basically pond scum. I'm sure there's one or two families that are hard working people who can only afford to live there.......and I bet they don't stay there long. That place is a dump.
It's sad that the income based developments have so many problems. I'm sure there are many nice families who need affordable rentals, now more than ever.

In general, I think apartments attract a lot of undesirable tenants. A lot depends on the management and how strict the requirements are for occupancy. Also, the way complaints are handled makes a big difference. I always recommend checking out any prospective home (apartment, condo, house) at night and on the weekends before making a decision.

Has anyone here ever asked the local police about an area? Unlike real estate agents, I don't think they are restricted by law on what they can tell people (like "don't more there.") Still, it's really hard to know who your neighbors are going to be. I lived for years in a duplex in a quiet neighborhood and then neighbors from hell drove me out.

By the way, I often cringe when I see the frequent use of the word "ghetto" on this board.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It's sad that the income based developments have so many problems. I'm sure there are many nice families who need affordable rentals, now more than ever.

In general, I think apartments attract a lot of undesirable tenants. A lot depends on the management and how strict the requirements are for occupancy. Also, the way complaints are handled makes a big difference. I always recommend checking out any prospective home (apartment, condo, house) at night and on the weekends before making a decision.

Has anyone here ever asked the local police about an area? Unlike real estate agents, I don't think they are restricted by law on what they can tell people (like "don't more there.") Still, it's really hard to know who your neighbors are going to be. I lived for years in a duplex in a quiet neighborhood and then neighbors from hell drove me out.

By the way, I often cringe when I see the frequent use of the word "ghetto" on this board.
We can say "The hood" instead.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:32 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
I wonder if there is a business model for apartment rentals where you get moved if a couple of neighbours make a complaint against you

or some other mechanism where decent/civilized people with low incomes can live together without being terrorized

maybe have a neighbours committee that approves or rejects applicants, sort of like a condo board

with lower turnover and better tenants, this may actually be more viable than the status quo of anything goes

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Nancy, yes, the police can tell you about crime in an area and they are happy to oblige!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nancy, yes, the police can tell you about crime in an area and they are happy to oblige!

Oh, yes, they are more than happy to tell you where not to move. And the ones I spoke to called out Westwood and Westchase. There are neighborhoods they say to 'stay away' from, but these places they basically tell to avoid at all costs. lol

And Nancy, it is sad that the working poor really have no where to go. There are so many hardworking, clean cut lower income ppl that get shoved into these ghettos...I can't imagine living in a place like that but what can they do? Better yet.....what can WE do????

Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 AM

a group of motivated individuals of low income who have the education and related background could approach a building owner and propose to take over management and run it like a coop

or you could start small and lease a very large house in an unfashionable area and work out your model there, build credibility, then work up to larger buildings. Find your room/building mates through forums such as this and craigslist.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Kroeran, single people and couples have been doing this since before we were born. After WWII there was a housing shortage and many families doubled up. We're going backward, aren't we? When I lived in MA the rents near Boston were very high. I remember back in the early 80s, almost 30 years ago, I looked at a room in the lower level of a split level house in Burlington and the rent was $500 a month. I wasn't even "low income" but mortgage rates were averaging 16%, and that was with good credit! When I lived in Newton, I answered a newspaper ad where working professionals were renting a large, Victorian house with multiple bedrooms and baths. They lived separate lives but shared the kitchen and living areas. This isn't uncommon in cities where monthly rents exceed $2,000.

Still, when you have a family, everything is different. I certainly wouldn't want my children sharing the same house with other adults unless I knew them very well. I wouldn't choose someone from Craig's List unless I ran a thorough background check and installed cameras in every room. I know I'm going on a little rant here, but last year I lectured a man who advertised he had custody of his 5 year old every other weekend. He was ready to rent a room in his Fort Myers townhouse over the phone!

Regarding managing a building, no apartment owner would agree to that because of the liability. There is also a limit of 2 people per bedroom, so he would be violating the law.

It's interesting now that the economy is terrible that people are suggesting the same thing working immigrants have done for years and been criticized and condemned for, when they were just trying to get by and feed their kids.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM

yes, I agree with everything you say. The house idea would be for some retired single ladies to pick up as an idea to run with, but this is trickier and you have to have a certain personality to make it work - I agree its a red herring to the problem we are looking at

the idea with an apartment building is coming up with some sort of arrangement with the owner or management such that tenants who do not treat their neighbours with respect get turfed by some mechanism. Not talking about communal living...sorry for the confusion.

step one is figuring out how the owner can get rid of tenants that pay their rent but harrass or frighten neighbours. One idea is to set an official rent that is inflated, and that you get a discount each month based on your neighbours assessment of your good behavior.

there has to be a way to do this that fits all the rules and insurances and owners concerns. A building full of nice but financially challenged tenants has got to be an attractive prospect for an owner/manager.

I would do the same for a plant or office...your collegues get a say in your pay packet. This would eliminate a mountain of grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area