Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
The American Oil platforms are very safe and as was said, this is international waters, would you prefer China, Russia or even worse, Mexico run more oil rigs in the Gulf??
Mr.Cool
Unless we are in the "know", who's to say that the American platforms are safer? I'm sure that there is no cover ups, payoffs to keep quiet, or big companies coercing their employees to keep working despite the safety hazards. Yes, there are no 100% accident free workplace, but I'm sure that there are 100% of manipulations by companies to make things seem better than what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
I guess we should stop mining coal because of the W.Virginia mine accident.Ground all airlines because one crashed in Europe.Let's get rid of Amtrack...they had an accident ,also.
Same principle as the oil rig............

Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 101,121 times
too bad they cant shove giant pipes in the holes and suck it up as it comes out

Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I guess we should stop mining coal because of the W.Virginia mine accident.Ground all airlines because one crashed in Europe.Let's get rid of Amtrack...they had an accident ,also.
Yep, let's not forget those evil shower stalls, someone slipped and broke a hip the other day........

Better quit boiling water also, I hear somebody got scalded.........

Ice fishing, that thin ice is a killer, and why do we want to harm those fish anyway?

The list can go on and on to include everything, and eventually everyone.
It's one of those slippery slopes you dont want to stumble onto.....particularly if your just common folk,( a useless eater) and not one of the "deciders".

Looks like they're going to start lowering the capping gismachie onto the gusher today. We'll know in two days if they've got things under control at the source. Then it's just a matter of cleaning up the spill. Which, by the way, still hasnt moved much from it's original location.......That's a good thing...right?

YC.......

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel123 View Post
too bad they cant shove giant pipes in the holes and suck it up as it comes out
That's kinda what they're hoping to accomplish with the "dome" they are lowering into place. They say it will take two days to get it placed correctly.

YC.......

Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
I myself was wondering why they could not sleeve clamp a short pipe with a valve on the main pipe, like I think they did on the small leak, then I thought maybe they are worried the pipe that is sticking out is weakended and might burst if they just plugged it...making a worse problem to solve.

the dome looks like a slow awkward solution to me, but then I thought, this is the only way to make progress without the risk of making it worse.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Yep, let's not forget those evil shower stalls, someone slipped and broke a hip the other day........

Better quit boiling water also, I hear somebody got scalded.........

Ice fishing, that thin ice is a killer, and why do we want to harm those fish anyway?

The list can go on and on to include everything, and eventually everyone.
It's one of those slippery slopes you dont want to stumble onto.....particularly if your just common folk,( a useless eater) and not one of the "deciders".

Looks like they're going to start lowering the capping gismachie onto the gusher today. We'll know in two days if they've got things under control at the source. Then it's just a matter of cleaning up the spill. Which, by the way, still hasnt moved much from it's original location.......That's a good thing...right?

YC.......

I hear that the nuclear power industry pretty much has all the bugs worked out. They even figured out what what went wrong at Three Mile Island. Why not give them a green light and get out of their way. They'll cut our dependence on oil in no time.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
There is something we need to understand.
Oil companys (and others) want to make the most amount of money with the least amount of investment. They dont give a damn about people or a clean earth. They just want our money. Of course when something happens they have this rehearsed spew about how great and safety minded they are. Bull****.
So the oil rigs are built and mantained with the least amount of money involved to meet MINIMUM guide lines.
They have raped us for years with gas and oil prices and have had record profits.
And we wonder why? Seems obvious to me.
Just get as much of the almighty dollar as they can and the hell with everything else.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 AM

317 posts, read 772,446 times
What is your point? That is true for every single for-profit company in the world.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
There is something we need to understand.
Oil companys (and others) want to make the most amount of money with the least amount of investment. They dont give a damn about people or a clean earth. They just want our money. Of course when something happens they have this rehearsed spew about how great and safety minded they are. Bull****.
So the oil rigs are built and mantained with the least amount of money involved to meet MINIMUM guide lines.
They have raped us for years with gas and oil prices and have had record profits.
And we wonder why? Seems obvious to me.
Just get as much of the almighty dollar as they can and the hell with everything else.
if you would like the link to the Cuban immigration forms, I will provide them to you. You will be able to avoid these issues there.

alternatively, if you think an industry is taking unfair profits, you are free to buy a share of that industry in the open market.

if you object to the price they charge for gas, live within walking distance of your work, bike, use a motorcycle, by an electric or hybrid car....and so on.

further, if you believe government has failed in constructing and enforcing appropriate regulations, you may wish to get involved in the political process and influence policy, or take a job with an energy industry regulator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area