Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Jose View Post
My husband just got a ticket in Cape Coral for not slowing down when two cop cars were sitting on the side of the bridge. On the ticket it states Move Over Act as the reason for the ticket. As far as I understood everything I have ever been told or read about the Move Over Act, you had to either slow down or change lanes. My husband was in the opposite lane and slowed down as soon as he was able to and still got a ticket! Also, the cops were sitting as soon as you go over the top of the bridge, so you can't really see them until you are were they are. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems with this or maybe I am misunderstanding the laws...
This is really confusing to me. I'm not sure I understand what it means to slow down if you see an "authorized emergency vehicle" if you're only talking about 2 cops. Was there an accident and they were on the scene with their lights flashing? Was there an ambulance there too? A fire truck? I pass cops sitting on the side of the road all the time. (usually speed traps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM

518 posts, read 1,232,206 times
A good law that was designed to save cops lives when they can't stay out of the middle of the road when writing tickets. Now those same cops have traps to write tickets for breaking this law. Just another part of the systems corruption that goes on in this county.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,352,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
A good law that was designed to save cops lives when they can't stay out of the middle of the road when writing tickets. Now those same cops have traps to write tickets for breaking this law. Just another part of the systems corruption that goes on in this county.
Well traffic tickets are a big source of revenue for the local government.
Every time they need money they step up writing the tickets.
Some people abuse it, I have heard in some places cops are required to write a certain number of tickets per month.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,480 times
Ummmmm....Nancy....flashing blue lights might be a good clue.

Also,in my little town in NH the local paper publishes all the traffic stops each week.In the busy summer season they average around 50 stops a week but only issue 2 or 3 tickets...the rest are warnings.
The local chief said they don't want to bust working people or folks on vacation but just want to keep speeds down.The only time they issue a ticket is for a flagrant violator or someone that causes danger to other drivers.Great attitude.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Ummmmm....Nancy....flashing blue lights might be a good clue.
True, which is why I asked if the lights were flashing in my previous post. Maybe that should be assumed, but I was trying to learn more about the incident. However, if you can show me where the OP wrote that the police had their lights flashing, I'll apologize for my oversight. It doesn't matter, really, but I did sense the sarcasm in your comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area