Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,742 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job possibility (still have another round of interviews to clear) at Florida Gulf Coast University and am researching housing in advance. It may be getting a little ahead of things, but it’s difficult not to be excited and it is helpful to not have surprises when it comes to housing prices, etc.

I have lived in Tampa, previously, and found these forums very helpful in selecting where I wanted to live before actually moving.

When i lived in Tampa, I was in the historic Seminole Heights neighborhood, which I LOVED. That is one of my housing preferences, older or bungalow type houses, and a close knit community and sense of history. Walkability is very nice in that neighborhood, as well, being close to restaurants, etc. On the other hand, I would also enjoy living somewhere less dense, natural, away from people, etc. I don’t like suburban areas as much.

Having said that, I can tell you also what I did not like about living in that area: Too far from the coast to have any breeze, Long drive through traffic to get to the beaches.

I realize that the area where I may be moving is a bit different than Tampa. I don’t generally like newer “Florida” style construction with stucco or vinyl siding, although I realize newer construction may be much better insulated for air conditioning. I prefer newer construction that is more modern looking or even cinder block construction/ 50’s 60’s style. I’d prefer to rent a small house, duplex, or “mother in law cottage” but am not sure if I should just get an apartment for at least my first year there.

I am outdoorsy, socially liberal (though from the South and don’t necessarily have expectations that everyone will share my views), and in my early 30’s.

I don’t know if living in Fort Meyers would be best, but I’ve also considered looking to be closer to the beaches and or bay. I could be pretty happy living out somewhere more remote and close to nature preserves or waterways. Urban or rural are more appealing to me than suburban. Living in Tampa I found the traffic and sprawl unpleasant.

I plan to do sea kayaking a lot if I do move there and go to beaches. I am interested in the Everglades and remote areas. When I lived in Tampa before, I loved the historic Seminole Heights neighborhood, but I always wished I had lived closer to the water (ie. St. Pete or Dunedin instead of Tampa) to have easier relief from the heat.

Any thoughts or suggestions of areas to live?

Also, general thoughts about the best aspects of living in this area? Good quality of life?

Hurricane/flooding concerns? Is this area warm enough to swim all year round? How do you guys deal with the heat? I remember when I lived in Florida before being surprised by the cost of insurance being so high because of natural disasters, fraud, and other factors.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 05:25 PM

207 posts, read 423,547 times
The Tampa and Fort Myers areas are two entirely different worlds. Not going to be many similarities other than they are both in Florida. What kind of budget would you be working with? That will heavily dictate where people will suggest you search based on your criteria, especially because the state has become even more popular since Covid began which has driven housing prices even higher. Have you run your basic search criteria through Zillow and gotten an idea of what you can get based on your desired housing budget? If not, you might want to do that first to see what you might be working with.

Not too much walkable around the Fort Myers area like you see in Seminole Heights. Your best bet would be downtown Fort Myers by the Publix. Mix of old and new housing around there, near the Edison & Ford Estates and a few things to do, several restaurants, etc. About 20 miles from FGCU, though.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:02 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,363,179 times
Old Bonita would be ideal - lots of kayak launch areas, canals, water front homes well under $1ML and not far from FGCU.

St James city would be cool place for you but its about an hour commute so that isn't going to work.

Estero doesn't have a ton of water front options so the kayaking won't work, but you'd be very close to work.

A new home at Wild Blue on Corkscrew has lake front lots going for about $550k-$600k including the home and you're close to an excellent golf course (if you like golfing) but its going to be very cookie cutter.

If you like the historic areas, kayaking, not far from work or beach, then Old Bonita would be great. Around Old-41, Terry St, etc. are all options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area