Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 05:55 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,375,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
^^^^ it must be tough at 79 or so spending your "wisdom" on City-data.com
I don't know. How is it for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 14,316 times
I love these threads. Chock-full of great information on one hand, and full of crap from people hiding behind their personas on another hand. So I’ll bite….

To the priss from Scandinavia or wherever, if you can’t find a community diverse enough for you in Chicago, good luck. Check your lineage at the door. Speaking as one of those boring white, religious people from Chicago, your heritage doesn’t make you special. Time to assimilate. Be proud of your bloodlines, but either become an American or go home.

On to informational part. I’m renting a mid-century pool home with a boat in Cape Coral this month. The more time I spend here, the more I like it. We can get to Captiva for shelling and the beaches in 40 minutes. Naples and Marco are 60-90 minutes away as is Sarasota and points north. If you’re looking to explore several parts of SWFL on a single trip I highly recommend the Cape Coral/Ft Myers area. The homes in this area are as mentioned- some well manicured, and some in of updating. But there doesn’t seem to be a “bad’ area and I feel safe here. Tons of unpretentious restaurants and everything you may need is within a couple miles. License plates from everywhere and the average age seems to be in the 50’s. Went to Fathom’s in Cape Harbour last night where a nice mix of folks were enjoying live music and drinks outside on a perfect night. So refreshing….

Also, as someone used to Chicago area traffic, I was expecting much worse “in season”. I’ve driven up and down 41 to check out Naples, Estero and Bonita first-hand. If you move the speed limit, you’ll make every light in sequence and can cover a lot of ground. I’m loving SWFL. Rent or buy, I won’t spend another February in the Midwest.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:56 PM

47 posts, read 57,745 times
OP certainly could have stated that she is looking for a diverse community and left it at that. However, I don't believe there was any malice and only wanted to give those viewing the thread what kind of person she is so that some will be comfortable pointing her in the right direction and that might not be Southwest Florida. It might be Palm Beach County.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:25 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,375,238 times
Palm Beach County is much less diverse than Chicago.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 02-15-2021, 01:47 PM

47 posts, read 57,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Palm Beach County is much less diverse than Chicago.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I thought I was clear in that it's (Palm Beach County) more diverse than Lee County.

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 PM

9,401 posts, read 7,046,527 times
Diversity means different things to different people. I'd suggest taking a drive around the "diverse" areas of Lee county. Get out of the car walk a few blocks maybe stop at the corner stores eat at a local diner there then report back. See if that is the diversity you're looking for and want to expose your son to.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 AM

515 posts, read 1,596,323 times
wherever you think that might be nice for you, go rent there for a year to be sure. realtors don't tell you everything about the areas that they sell. RENT, RENT,RENT

Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM

207 posts, read 425,932 times
I'm not a realtor. I think the anti-agent talk might be correct about seller's agents to some extent, but I don't think a buyer's agent is going to steer someone down a bad path. Bad business for them. They want their clients to be happy with their purchase and hopefully use them again down the line and/or refer them to others. Seller's agents on the other hand - I've seen a listing here in Cape Coral that claimed the house was built years later than it actually was. Maybe 2015 for a house that was truly built in either 2005 or 2007 I want to say. It had a certificate of occupancy issued in 2015, sure, but only because it was never compliant on the original permit before then. I'm certainly not going to list my house with that person. One can only hope the buyer's agent and/or buyer do their due diligence on that one.

People should rent in a new area if they can. Not always possible, though, especially if you have pets because a number of rentals won't allow them. I think Coldwell Banker used to be affiliated with some program that would allow you to rent a home by having them buy the house and you rent from their company for so many years and the purchase price would go up every year for 5 years. They essentially billed it as being able to make any home rent to own.

Update: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...rs-of-america/

Last edited by SellingNWCape; 02-25-2021 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Found program link

Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,380,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
People should rent in a new area if they can. Not always possible, though, especially if you have pets because a number of rentals won't allow them. I think Coldwell Banker used to be affiliated with some program that would allow you to rent a home by having them buy the house and you rent from their company for so many years and the purchase price would go up every year for 5 years. They essentially billed it as being able to make any home rent to own.

Update: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...rs-of-america/
Yes Home partners of America. I think it stops at Ft Myers, doesn't go further south because it has restrictions on the program. I don't think Rent2Own is for the general population though, but it works for some. Its great for the seller because they get their house sold and don't have to be a landlord for 1-2 years.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 740 times
I've read the thread with much interest.
I'm wanting to move to the Fort Myers area in November, and was recently there. I am interested in the Iona/Winkler Rd area. I've also considered the Cape Coral area. I do not have the funds as Helena does. I have SS and pension funds, IRAs and savings, and will most likely work part-time; my car is paid for. I am looking for something to rent at $1,000 or less if that is feasible, and in a safe area. Preferably a 2-bedroom, ground level; I want to be able to retire and stay. I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm trying to determine if it is feasible to live there on a limited income.
Thanks!
Pat from Bellevue (Omaha), NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area