Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2021, 03:15 PM

88 posts, read 105,520 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ! Two quick questions.

My wife and I are in our mid 50's. We are looking for an area in Florida that would be nice to
get away to for a week in March.

1. Any suggestions for a nice hotel, reasonable rates, nice pool, clean and safe.

2. Any suggestions for what to do while we are in the area.

Thanks so much for any help.

TD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 04:44 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,103,774 times
My recommendation is if you want Fort Myers Beach, which is the primary beach in Lee County, stay at Manatee Bay Inn. Great couple who run this local hotel / B&B. Nice rooms, two small pools (hot and cold pool) and right on a open canal on the barrier island. It is a 5 minute walk to the Fort Myers Beach Pier and the beachfront. There are restrooms and shops and dining places on the beach as well as back towards the inn. PierSide Grill is literally almost in the Gulf. SOB (Smokin Oyster Brewery), Nervous Nellies and Matanzas on the Bay are right around the corner on the Intercoastal side of Estero Island. I also see good reviews of Snug Harbor Waterfront Restaurant but have not tried them. One assigned parking space is included per room at the inn. And if you want to have breakfast (or lunch or dinner) in the room, there are small kitchens in each unit. Breakfast is provided and can consist of European style continental breakfast (with meats and cheeses) and the owners usually cook up a little something. With COVID, I would inquire as to what they are doing now.

From Fort Myers Beach you can go down Estero Island towards Lovers Key State Park. You can also day trip to Sanibel and/or Captiva, both beautiful barrier islands. Sanibel has some hotels and cottage inns as well but tends to be pricier. Captiva is the exclusive place with the South Seas Island Resort. Bubble Room on Captiva is recommended as is Key Lime Bistro. Sanibel and Captiva will be more relaxing of a getaway in comparison to Fort Myers Beach. But if you want things to do, I recommend doing Fort Myers Beach and then taking a day trip (or two) for Sanibel and Captiva. Keep in mind the bridge toll is now electronic only at 6.00 one way to Sanibel and Captiva. So if you rent a car, depending on the rental company, expect to garner all toll charges and the admin fee (usually $5-7 a day depending on the rental agency). This is whether you have the Sun Pass or not. You can try paying online before the bill is sent to the rental agency (make sure the Sun Pass is CLOSED!) to beat the admin fee, but I have found that sometimes does not work and you get double charged. More of a hassle since you have to get your money back. Also, Cape Coral Bridge and Mid Point Bridge between Fort Myers and Cape Coral are e-toll only now as well.

Most places, especially cottage, suite and condo properties will run about 250+ a night at that time. Manatee Bay shows some availability possibly the week of the 15th at $274/night.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:10 PM

WOW ! This is so helpful. Thank you so much for the information. This gives us something to think about.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:41 AM

1,752 posts, read 892,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFELEADERSHIP View Post
WOW ! This is so helpful. Thank you so much for the information. This gives us something to think about.

Something else to think about is that March is Spring Training month in Florida. Ft. Myers has two teams (Red Sox and Twins) so hotels are more expensive then at other times and hotel pools can be pretty crowded on non-game days.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:58 PM

That is nice to know. I am a Twins fan but probably not the best time to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area