Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Yes we plan to vacation for a Winter in certain areas prior to us making a decision to purchase anything. Looking into Sarasota area also. I only mentioned Poinsetta park in Fort Meyers because it is a locked gated community and offers quite a bit of amenities. I'm not sure if I would be walking around outside the gated park or anything but then don't want an area where there are drive by shootings going on or anything.

My sister has a home in Cape Coral and also one in St. Petersburg so we plan to check out both areas.

Thanks to all that responded.
Sarasota might be more of what you’re looking for. Just do your research on the areas... gated or not crime can and will happen in Poinsetta Park... that’s the nature of the area. Did you visit this park?? Did you take a good good look at the area??

You’re going to have a hard time finding a mobile home park in Cape Coral. I know (knew) of only one out on Pine Island road, but I could be wrong. I haven’t lived in Cape Coral for years. Like I said before, North Fort Myers has a lot of mobile home communities, some in decent and some not so much.

Good luck in your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,693 times
Bonita springs has a bunch, some closer to the water. But their in the low 100k range, not sure about HOA fees. Definitely lower crime than Ft Myers/Cape Coral.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 PM

252 posts, read 659,493 times
Yeah I have researched online already in parks in Fort Meyers, Cape Coral, Sarasota and surrounding areas for about 4 months straight now. I know what the rates are to purchase in a resident owned parks that do offer the amenities that we are looking for. My sister already owns one in a resident owned park in St. Petersburg. There monthly HOA is $120 and they only paid $18K for the mobile (althoguh that park does not have many amenities) so we would not purchase there. My sister only purchased it as a weekend get away place when they visit St. Petersburg they already own 2 stick built homes in other parts of Florida so the mobile it just so they have someplace to lay their head while visiting St. Petes.

You can find ones for sale in parks that do have all the amenities that we are seeking. Realistically .. most mobile homes nice ones go for between $70-$100K in the nicer parks I am looking at.. Although some do appear occasionally considerably less then that amount when there is an estate sale and the family wants to get rid of it fast or someone is going into assisted living, nursing home etc and want a fast sale.. We are in no hurry and have cash.. so we have no problem waiting for the best deal to come along in the park that we decide to purchase in. Until then we will just rent a few weeks here and there in different areas for a while and check out a few resident owned parks and amenities and until we find what suits us.

We are more looking into the St. Petersburg, Sarasata, and surrounding areas anyways and no we do not plan nor have any intentions to buy site unseen.. I have a sister that lives in West Florida.. so no problem being able to check out areas first.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Yeah I have researched online already in parks in Fort Meyers, Cape Coral, Sarasota and surrounding areas for about 4 months straight now. I know what the rates are to purchase in a resident owned parks that do offer the amenities that we are looking for. My sister already owns one in a resident owned park in St. Petersburg. There monthly HOA is $120 and they only paid $18K for the mobile (althoguh that park does not have many amenities) so we would not purchase there. My sister only purchased it as a weekend get away place when they visit St. Petersburg they already own 2 stick built homes in other parts of Florida so the mobile it just so they have someplace to lay their head while visiting St. Petes.

You can find ones for sale in parks that do have all the amenities that we are seeking. Realistically .. most mobile homes nice ones go for between $70-$100K in the nicer parks I am looking at.. Although some do appear occasionally considerably less then that amount when there is an estate sale and the family wants to get rid of it fast or someone is going into assisted living, nursing home etc and want a fast sale.. We are in no hurry and have cash.. so we have no problem waiting for the best deal to come along in the park that we decide to purchase in. Until then we will just rent a few weeks here and there in different areas for a while and check out a few resident owned parks and amenities and until we find what suits us.

We are more looking into the St. Petersburg, Sarasata, and surrounding areas anyways and no we do not plan nor have any intentions to buy site unseen.. I have a sister that lives in West Florida.. so no problem being able to check out areas first.
You have all the power when you have the cash especially when it's an estate sale, many people don't have the money to buy them and no bank is going to lend you money to buy it with a conventional mortgage so you may be able to low ball them.

How long ago did your sister buy it? $18K with the lot is really cheap and the HOA fee is still cheap even without amenities. The only ones I've seen even close to that low with lots are the RV type that are only 8 feet wide and look like winnebagos.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Hurricanes are a major problem for mobile homes near the coast. Unless you are living in an RV you can literally evacuate and drive away if a storm is approaching, I wouldn't recommend it.
Mobile homes are a major problem all over the state. It isn't just near the coast and huricannes. Its inland from both huricannes and the yearly tornados. In the 4 years I have lived in Lakeland Tornados have destroyed mobiles. Including just a few days ago. Several came thru here and the homes were leveled. I live in one myself, and it was foolish to buy it, I don't think this state is practical for this type housing.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 AM

252 posts, read 659,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How long ago did your sister buy it? $18K with the lot is really cheap and the HOA fee is still cheap even without amenities.
Gosh I wanna say - 3 years ago? I know really cheap huh? She let me know the one next to her was for sale but we did not want to live that close to a larger city. She said the trailer needed some work noting major just some cosmetic updating they only put maybe 5K into it and it looks fabulous. They love it. My sister thought we may like the Punta Gorda area since its more laid back.

If I remember correctly the resident owned park my sister bought into was "Twin Peaks" or something like that.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Mobile homes are a major problem all over the state. It isn't just near the coast and huricannes. Its inland from both huricannes and the yearly tornados. In the 4 years I have lived in Lakeland Tornados have destroyed mobiles. Including just a few days ago. Several came thru here and the homes were leveled. I live in one myself, and it was foolish to buy it, I don't think this state is practical for this type housing.
At the same time 95% or more I would guess of mobile homes have never been leveled by a hurricane or tornado, so it's luck of the draw, but if a tornado does hit you are in more danger in a mobile home. Many parks still have homes that have been there from the early 1970s and have survived every hurricane including Andrew and every other bad one. I have only heard of one park in Palm Beach county where a hurricane destroyed half the park but there are still many from the 70s that survived it.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM

599 posts, read 498,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
last year we bought a place in a park north or Tampa. It opened in the early 1970s. and has yet to see anything but a few tree branches fall in high winds. That's not to say that it won't get scrubbed off the map tomorrow morning. I don't live my life based on things that have a tiny fraction of a percent likelihood of happening to me. I've narrowly missed tornadoes, while traveling in my RV in South Dakota and Iowa. Does that mean that it's unsafe to camp in either of these states? Understand the risks, and reacting appropriately, are a huge part of living a rational, fear free existence. Deciding that the entire state of Florida is unsuitable for manufactured housing is quite the opposite of rational. I've got a buddy that built a new double wide that is certified to have zero damage in 120 MPH Hurricanes, including windows, doors, roofing and siding. Do you think the average existing stick built home in Florida offers the same guarantee? Maybe he should of bought a 40-50 year old typical concrete block house, since it feels safer? Even if it isn't even close to being as substantial, or ready for those conditions. That's the difference between emotion and fact.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
We own a campsite in a resident owned 55+ snowbird RV park on the west coast, north of Tampa. The good is that lots are cheap, and the HOA is also inexpensive, and included everything from water and sewer, to lightning fast wifi and 100+ cable channels. The bad is that any HOA can be a PITA, and ours is going through a bit of an upheaval at the moment.But that will be resolved once all the residents are back for the winter and can get the stupidity under control. As for hurricanes, our place has been operating for nearly fifty years now and has yet to see a hurricane, so i'll take my chances.

There are lots of resident owned parks in Florida, and I'm really interested in seeing more of this thread. We have friends that live in resident owned 55+ parks close to our campground. They all report generally positive experiences, living in double-wides, on large lots that cost a fraction of what standard homes in the area cost.
Which campsite is this? Are there mobiles nearby? Which ones?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:14 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,693 times
Keep in mind, most of these 'parks' that don't have restrictive HOAs (i.e. higher HOA Fees with many amenities) are the last resort of felons and sex offenders. They can't live in condo buildings (for the most part), gated communities, apt complexes, etc.

Always go on the crime mapping websites and see what's around you as well as the FDLE sex offender database to see the proximity of where they are. We couldn't believe the HOA of a single family home 55+ community in Broward (who limits your renting each year) had a sex offender living just a few doors down from my mother in law...

Hmm, what's worse? A sex crime against a child (we researched him) or a home owner renting their home out twice a year instead of once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area