Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 12,107 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking for a retirement home and some research has led me to consider these towns. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with them and could help me out.

My criteria is a quiet low crime area that is not congested where I can find a nice home with 1/2 acre for under 250,00k (I know North port might be a stretch on the last one). I have family in Ocala and Miami, so kinda want to be in between them. North port main thing for me is close to the white sandy beaches I do want to be close enough to say a few restaurants, Homedepot, etc without being in the middle of a busy city.

How are these places during the winter (traffic?)? Especially North Port on this one.

Mosquitoes, no-see-ums? I know I will run into some mosquitoes, but the no-see-ums are killers for me.

Any other areas to consider? I would prefer to be more towards the center of the peninsula for at least some relief from hurricanes. I also prefer staying south of Tampa.

thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 10:22 AM

416 posts, read 408,898 times
I'd vote North Port personally. You're between bigger towns and have access to everything from Tampa to Naples via i75.

Worked a bunch in Sebring and Lake Placid in the past and they are very "small" towns. No offense to anyone who loves them but I found them to be very boring. When "wow we got a new Starbucks" is the event of the year - there isn't much going on.

Access to water and beaches - best reason to be in FL. North Port wins on that one too.

Don't forget about Venice and Englewood.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 AM

20 posts, read 23,151 times
I'd vote Osprey if you can afford it.. Extremely low crime. Gulf beaches, Lots of grocery stores, Close to downtown.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:56 PM

286 posts, read 639,965 times
Sebring is otherwise known as SeBoring. Also known as God’s waiting room. If you’re up for gossip as the local sport and poor choices for restaurants, Sebring is your place

Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
I lived in North Port for one year but now live in nearby Venice. Traffic in North Port isn't bad in winter. It centers around highway 41 and that stretch of highway running through North Port is 4 lane. They have worked on it quite a bit the past few years and have made improvements.

I didn't think mosquitoes were bad. They spray for them in Sarasota county and I've never noticed them to be a big problem. Noseeums are mainly a problem at dusk or dawn. I don't notice them during normal daylight hours.

I almost moved to Sebring instead of North Port back in 2013 when I moved to Florida. I didn't think I would fit in too well in Sebring. I was 60 and unattached back then and I felt that the Sarasota area would offer me better opportunities to meet single people my age. From what I could see of Sebring it looked like golfing, fishing, and perhaps automobile racing were the attractions.

Before I relocated to Florida I was pretty worried about hurricanes but after being here awhile I have gotten over that. North Port is far enough inland to not ne as concerned as you would be right on the coast. If you buy a fairly newer home you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area