Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 AM

130 posts, read 277,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I want to be clear that Southwest Florida is not the South. It's more like Midwest South.

Second, it depends on the area. You could have moved to an area/community/subdivision that had more restrictions. Frankly, I noticed by your posts that you bought first and asked questions later. I was going to write something similar awhile back but I let it go but the remarks and questions keep on coming.

So you can go ahead and say, "Well, Florida is the south for us" or "I have to travel south to get there" or whatever but the bottom line is you seem to not know a heck of a lot about the area you bought a home in. That could prove to be a big mistake.

What kind of grates is the "that's not the way it is where I from" statement. Maybe your subdivision has stricter regulations but you clearly did better research regarding that purchase. However, don't come on here and say that the Midwest is pristine. A good portion of it is mobile homes, cars on blocks, etc. Bear in mind that a lot of your neighbors are from your area.
Wow. I did not mean that at all. I respect that there are differences all over the country in the way people dress, talk, live. I actually love the differences. We have relatives all over and have traveled extensively in the US & abroad. I sincerely don't care if people park on streets or lawns. If that was a concern, we would not have bought. I honestly don't care. You guys don't park on roads, we don't park on lawns. It was just conversation and I was trying to explain why I was aking by saying it was different where I was. You guys were talking about rules and somebody posted about parking on lawns but somehow I am bad because I mentioned it was DIFFERENT than what we are used to. I didn't mean it is beter up north and I didn't say that - I tried to make that clear with the LOL. Apparently I ruffled feathers and didn't mean to. With all due respect, I think I am done with this forum. When we are in CC and meet people when we are out and about, we talk about differences in where we all come from (there are people from all over the country and we all have different stories to tell) and NO ONE takes offense. In fact, we've had some pretty amusing discussions with people on what its like to live in WI, what's its like to live in NJ or NM etc. It's what's make the world interesting, IMHO. I'm sorry you take offense, but I guess that's your business. I'm just thankful that the people we meet in person in SW Florida are a lot more interesting and open.
And yes, we bought and are asking questions later. Questions that don't really matter because we don't really care. We are simply retirees who like warm weather. Things that are discussed here are mildly interesting, but of so little importance to us. We don't need a job, don't have a truck, don't care about restrictions or lack of, and intend to park in our garage. We were just reading in this forum because, frankly, we were excited about our move and picking up any useful information never hurts. And I guess its winter and I'm bored and I like conversation.
But whatever.
Adios.

Last edited by Sunscape; 01-08-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Wow. I did not mean that at all. You really need to take a pill and perhaps read my post a second time. I respect that there are differences all over the country in the way people dress, talk, live. I actually love the differences. We have relatives all over and have traveled extensively in the US & abroad. I sincerely don't care if people park on streets or lawns. If that was a concern, we would not have bought. I honestly don't care. You guys don't park on roads, we don't park on lawns. I don't give a sh**. It was just conversation and I was trying to explain why I was aking by saying it was different where I was. You guys were talking about rules and somebody posted about parking on lawns but somehow I am bad because I mentioned it was DIFFERENT than what we are used to. I didn't mean it is beter up north and I didn't say that - I tried to make that clear with the LOL. Apparently I ruffled feathers and didn't mean to. With all due respect, I think I am done with this forum. When we are in CC and meet people when we are out and about, we talk about differences in where we all come from (there are people from all over the country and we all have different stories to tell) and NO ONE takes offense. In fact, we've had some pretty amusing discussions with people on what its like to live in WI, what's its like to live in NJ or NM etc. It's what's make the world interesting, IMHO. I'm sorry you take offense, but I guess that's your business. I'm just thankful that the people we meet in person in SW Florida are a lot more interesting and open.
And yes, we bought and are asking questions later. Questions that don't really matter because we don't really care. We are simply retirees who like warm weather. Things that are discussed here are mildly interesting, but of so little importance to us. We don't need a job, don't have a truck, don't care about restrictions or lack of, and intend to park in our garage.
Adios.

I for one would be sorry if you decided to leave the forum. One thing to keep in mind in these posts is that it is very hard to hear voice inflections, sarcasm, comedy or gather intentions. This is prone to many misunderstandings. There are many groups of people that visit these forums... some that have been here from the beginning and watched the city grow, boom, then bust, then start to recover. then there are some that have been here for only one of the events and their opinions and experiences will greatly differ. then there are some that live there in different social and economic brackets which give them totally different experiences, then those that have never been and have a unrealistic view, good or bad about the area. but all experiences are worthy to be represented. Sometimes debates do pop up, more so in this forum than any other I've gone on. But I find this to be the most entertaining forum. I never go on New Hampshire or Massachusetts forum.. I occasionally go on Indianapolis as there is always a possibility of a move there but I'm on the SWFL at least daily

Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Kev, you don't live in Cape Coral full-time, you aren't even a snowbird, so you may not know. However, you've been in and out of the area and I think some of your family has been down there awhile. You've probably heard this by now.

luvtobewarm, it is very nice that you have some friendly conversations when you are out and about. Maybe you are talking to people just like you. Maybe not.

But I'll give you a little tip. After you've been in Southwest Florida for awhile - heck through most of Florida - you get sick of people that occasionally show up - often snowbirds - and tell people all about how it is done up north. Those people drive the locals absolutely crazy and it is the number one reason why snowbirds with that sort of attitude are not well liked. The bad driving and the arrogant, rude behavior is another but the "Where I come from we do it this way" attitude is legendary.

Do yourself a favor and can it. Or don't. But you'll see. You can never come back on CD but if you keep on comparing Cape Coral to where you live now it is going to come back at you. At the absolute best you'll garner snickers and eyerolls. Don't be "those people" that everyone loathes.

No one cares what your subdivision north of Chicago is like. Really. No one cares that you don't care to look at places that aren't like where you live. Good for you. And yes, you said that before.

I think that people that try too hard are trying to make up for something but that's just my opinion. People come down to Florida and want to reinvent themselves, want to improve their station by impressing us. The truth is, locals see this baloney every day.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Kev, you don't live in Cape Coral full-time, you aren't even a snowbird, so you may not know. However, you've been in and out of the area and I think some of your family has been down there awhile. You've probably heard this by now.

luvtobewarm, it is very nice that you have some friendly conversations when you are out and about. Maybe you are talking to people just like you. Maybe not.

But I'll give you a little tip. After you've been in Southwest Florida for awhile - heck through most of Florida - you get sick of people that occasionally show up - often snowbirds - and tell people all about how it is done up north. Those people drive the locals absolutely crazy and it is the number one reason why snowbirds with that sort of attitude are not well liked. The bad driving and the arrogant, rude behavior is another but the "Where I come from we do it this way" attitude is legendary.

Do yourself a favor and can it. Or don't. But you'll see. You can never come back on CD but if you keep on comparing Cape Coral to where you live now it is going to come back at you. At the absolute best you'll garner snickers and eyerolls. Don't be "those people" that everyone loathes.

No one cares what your subdivision north of Chicago is like. Really. No one cares that you don't care to look at places that aren't like where you live. Good for you. And yes, you said that before.

I think that people that try too hard are trying to make up for something but that's just my opinion. People come down to Florida and want to reinvent themselves, want to improve their station by impressing us. The truth is, locals see this baloney every day.
The only problem with this Hik is that I hardly meet any body that I would consider a local. with a population of 161,000 I would bet not even half of them were there 10 years ago it is far and few between that I meet someone that has been in Cape Coral their entire life that didn't come from somewhere else.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
The only problem with this Hik is that I hardly meet any body that I would consider a local. with a population of 161,000 I would bet not even half of them were there 10 years ago it is far and few between that I meet someone that has been in Cape Coral their entire life that didn't come from somewhere else.
Isn't that the truth!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Isn't that the truth!
I'd have to agree and would love to see a breakdown of "natives" versus newcomers. Hik, I think you'd be surprised.

On a different note: Does anyone think the OP sounds like our old pal Equal?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
American FactFinder - Results *

Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
I think it is fun to hear about where Cape Coral residents and snowbirds come from. Many posts require comparisons from the only places we know- where we have already lived! Just this evening I was on Cape Coral Pkwy and a car was blasting country music, which my wife loves. I was thinking we would never hear that back home. There wasn't even one country music station on the radio. That felt like the south to me. Also college football is huge here. Yay Seminoles! Not so in the NYC area. It doesn't mean I am trashing the area. I love the differences.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I didn't mean natives when I said locals. All of you have read enough of what I've written over the years to know that. As I've said before. I met a woman that was 85, lived in Estero most of her life, and even she was not from Florida. She was born in Ohio and moved there when she was two.

A lot of my family lives in Lee County, many have been there for 30 years. They are locals. If you live there full-time and have been there for awhile, you are a local. And you don't have have to be there awhile and I stated as such:

And I clearly stated:

Quote:
After you've been in Southwest Florida for awhile - heck through most of Florida - you get sick of people that occasionally show up - often snowbirds - and tell people all about how it is done up north.
I never called locals natives, or even implied it.

And no, I wouldn't be surprised about the ratio of natives to everyone else. In fact, I would argue that this is the cas and always do, year after year. Whenever I meet a native I always marvel at it. That is a pretty rare occurrence unless you are fairly young and even then...And I've written about this over and over, again.

And Riko, yes Southwest Florida is not Long Island or the NYC area. No kidding. It is very different down there and how many times have I cautioned people about that? But different doesn't mean "the South."

Anyway, my point was clearly missed. Moving along now. I'm done.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olereb View Post
I decided to write this to help those that are or might consider moving to Cape Coral,its not meant to be a bash the cape thread but some important topics that a lot don't think about until AFTER they move here and then hate it. The job market here is garbage,most of the jobs are crappy paying retail jobs that don't pay enough to afford the high price of living here. There are good paying jobs in the trades like HVAC,Plumbing,Electrical BUT the city of Cape Coral doesn't allow you to park your work vehicle at your house so a lot of companies wont hire you if you live in the cape,they actually have their own Code Enforcement guys that drive around 24/7 trying to catch you so they can write you a ticket. Also people that have nothing better to do will call them and rat on you,once your on the radar they will keep ticketing you until you solve the violation issue. I highly suggest you read up on the many things that are NOT allowed in Cape Coral before you move here. Also if you move into a house that is NOT on city water or sewer the city will eventually be sending you a bill for between $13,000 and $24,000(the current rates,has been more) when they force you to get hooked up to the city utilities,thats another thing nobody wants to tell you when they are trying to sell you their house. The cost of gas and groceries in this area(SW FL) is high compared to most other places,especially when you factor in the cost of rent,mortage,property taxes and homeowners insurance. Also you have to pay $2.00 per day to go across the bridge since there are hardly any jobs here and you have to leave the cape for work,adds up over time. I work in a trade job and these are complaints that I hear on a weekly basis from people that have recently moved and were not aware of,also a/c units need to be replaced about every 10 years here on average so expect to have that bill and if you have more than one a/c you better save money each year for it cause they run $7,000-$12,000 per unit on average. Hope this helps some people.

Wow, I never knew that Cape Coral is a deed-restricted community, or is it just parts of Cape Coral?
I have no plans to live there, much as I like SW Florida both Ft. Myers and Cape Coral have gotten too crowded for my taste. But some people might like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area