Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,545 times

Advertisements

The north broward/pompano sewage outfall pipe discharges a ton of sewage into the ocean. as a dive site, the trench off the coast is called "the pompano trench"

does anyonw know where this is relative to land?

i am not sure if it is in deerfield, hillsboro, or near the hillsboro inlet. i would liek to know exactly where it is. the boca one is off palmetto park road, and the delray one, recently shut down, was off of atlantic ave, but i haven't figured out where the north broward one is

thanks

http://www.reef-rescue.org/MiamiHera...atedsewage.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM

here's boca:

YouTube - Boca Raton Sewage Outfall

here's north broward - the one i am looking for a landmark for:

YouTube - North Broward Sewage Outfall

and here is hollywood:

YouTube - Hollywood Sewage Outfall

i think i remember this pipe showing from swimming as a kid, i imagine dredged sand covers it now. i remember the boca one too. and now i am thinking i live near the north broward one.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:57 AM

Carl Hiassen: http://www.reef-rescue.org/research/CarlHiaasen.pdf

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 AM

i wish i could find the answer to the question. http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/reu...tfallStudy.pdf

i can find out everything but exactly where it is in relation to land

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I wish they would have just pumped it right to the beach. The one off virginia key is well known because you can go boating in the area and see brown water and smell sewage when the winds are right. It was 2 miles or so off the coast. Some of the sewage is pumped back into the ground through deep wells so I think that pipe is used only when the system gets overloaded. Still trying to remember where the one in north Broward is.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I don't know if this gives you the same info, but here you go:

pompano beach ocean outfall pipe - Google Maps

Old 07-11-2009, 05:47 AM

14 posts, read 31,133 times
Wow. That's disgusting.

We humans certainly are a curse on the earth.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I don't know if this gives you the same info, but here you go:

pompano beach ocean outfall pipe - Google Maps
thanks, but that isn't it.

i saw it once in ray mccallister's book of dive sites, but i don't remember where it is. he calls it the "pompano trench" - they also dumped a bunch of tires out there, they call that the "tire farm" - for some reason i can't find either.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM

i have been looking to move to a cleaner beach, and i am trying to figure out where the cleanest beach in north broward/south palm beach is

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM

so much for a cleaner beach:

is it crazy to consider a place despite knowing that 1 mile out and 80 feet underwater a pipe spits out 13 to 19 million gallons a day of "minimally treated" raw sewage?

i have a verbal offer and acceptance and LOVE the place and it isn't a bad neighborhood - the Boca Resort Beach Club is on the block. I'm otherwise quite LUCKY to be able to get in there and it is a good school district and very close to the things I need to go to on a daily basis - I put a lot of work into finding the perfect place and I snagged it. despite the poop pipe. But this
YouTube - Boca Raton Sewage Outfall is pretty gross and I swim every day.

any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area