Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

Stumbled upon this in a search and it brought back bad memories. http://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/373/the_seed

I grew up in Broward in the early 70s. In HS the dean of girls told my parents that I should go to the Seed BC of my attitude. Several of my friends had been sent there. Their offense- smoking marijuana. It was a horrible place. I remember when it was in west (now mid) Broward and when it was relocated to the beach area. That's when a friend of mine was sent there and walked up the beach all the way from Ft. Laud. to Pompano to escape.

When the dean of girls told my parents that I needed to go there BC I had a bad attitude, their response was- "She's a teenager, they have bad attitudes." Thanks mom and dad! Within a year of the dean of girl's pushing parents to commit their children, she went from driving a beat up compact car to a brand new luxury model. We always thought that she was getting a kickback for each admission.

I remember going to see my friend during an open house-type event. It was like a tent revival. It was such a horrible place. I had nightmares about it when I went to college.

Anyone else have knowledge of the Seed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 AM

157 posts, read 487,538 times
Default scary

As a parent I felt that me on my worst day was way better than any social service program in Broward County. Even when my kids were rotten and they were, I did not want to relinqish them. Back as a kid here, the counselors would threaten you by saying they would send you to a program like seed. There were a few of these programs before seed, but I can`t remember the names.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,039 times
I went to the Seed here in Cleveland Ohio and I can tell you that it became my whole life. I worshiped those people and I was absolutely devastated when they left Cleveland. I had managed to stay sober by placing my faith in people (I was a graduate of the Seed program). When those people and the only structure I knew left I was devastated.
I came to FLA for a while, at the Seed down there. One ***** staff member made sure I was sent home to Cleveland (for no reason other than she did not like me. I came home joined the Navy and started using drugs.
An addict cannot get sober out of peer pressure or isolation from the real world or by placing faith in people. Many years later I am sober in AA ,only by the grace of GOD. I have learned to practice the 12 steps in my daily affairs, here in the real world. Not sheltered in a building in meetings or in a very small group of people. I should have always worshiped GOD and not those staff members of the Seed and Art Barker (the president).

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Stumbled upon this in a search and it brought back bad memories. The Sun Magazine | The Seed

I grew up in Broward in the early 70s. In HS the dean of girls told my parents that I should go to the Seed BC of my attitude. Several of my friends had been sent there. Their offense- smoking marijuana. It was a horrible place. I remember when it was in west (now mid) Broward and when it was relocated to the beach area. That's when a friend of mine was sent there and walked up the beach all the way from Ft. Laud. to Pompano to escape.

When the dean of girls told my parents that I needed to go there BC I had a bad attitude, their response was- "She's a teenager, they have bad attitudes." Thanks mom and dad! Within a year of the dean of girl's pushing parents to commit their children, she went from driving a beat up compact car to a brand new luxury model. We always thought that she was getting a kickback for each admission.

I remember going to see my friend during an open house-type event. It was like a tent revival. It was such a horrible place. I had nightmares about it when I went to college.

Anyone else have knowledge of the Seed?
I used to vacation down here with family in the summers in the 70's .. I remember the Seed .. yes all of my cousins burn out friends back then in Miami had to go there at one time or another ... I remember the joke was that people came out of there all weirded out ... like Stepford Wives or Children of The Corn ... wow memories ... I was like eleven when I first heard about the seed .. we had a similar place in Long Island .

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,214 times
I went there because of naivete and fear of homelessness--along without a clue of what it was. I sure would love to rememer and talk to some of the people I knew--or didn't know, about the place. I went to it twice; at Tropical Park in MIami, too. I remember the dynamic duo of John Underwood and Libby (something).

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms911 View Post
I went there because of naivete and fear of homelessness--along without a clue of what it was. I sure would love to rememer and talk to some of the people I knew--or didn't know, about the place. I went to it twice; at Tropical Park in MIami, too. I remember the dynamic duo of John Underwood and Libby (something).
WOW! I remember those names just like it was yesterday. I was at the Seed in 1971 when it was located on Andrews Ave. Then moved to 84. That place had a profound negative impact on me. But at the time, with lack of food and sleep, I bought into it. Even had "newcomers". I could write a book on the Seed!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 25,517 times
Default the seed indeed

I went to Tropical park. Although i never 'bought into' it, it has sure stuck with me... and many others. I have no idea how many kids were through there, but many of the kids have suffered in later life. I met a priest in pinellas county who said he'd ben part of a comission appointed by Gov. Askew to "bust" the seed. Barker died rich, no one was ever prosecuted (that I know of,) and the sad story continues... I'd be interestd in hearing from any other seedlings (true believers need not apply) especially from tropical park, c 1972/73. Corruption and abuse in that outfit went pretty far and wide.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,403 times
I just stumbled on this thread. I was in The Seed in 1974 in Ft. Lauderdale and then transferred to the new Cleveland, OH one when it opened in 1975. It was a horrible experience and cost my parents lots of money. Which, my mother reminds me of as if that was my fault. I did drugs back then...just like all my friends were doing. I didn't need a drug rehab/prison stay to get off of them, I just needed to grow up. It was complete brain-washing if you ever wanted to get out of there. Spent my sweet 16 scrubbing Art Barker's marble floor in his office with a toothbrush. It was supposed to be an honor! I didn't want to play along at first but you were stood up in front of everyone and humiliated if you didn't follow their indoctrine. As a child of 15 yrs of age, I had no other choice in the matter. I went along with it for over a year before I was let out. I will never forget that experience....strip searched when I went in, someone stood in the bathroom while I showered, used the bathroom, slept in front of the bedroom door at night so I couldn't escape etc. It was not a good experience for me.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 25,517 times
dear Kat how did it happen that you were transferred to cleveland

i've heard of that from others but don't know how it happened legally, i mean sounds a little like kidnapping if you ask me.. would liket ot hear more and from more seeedlings

Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,181 times
wow people, I haven't thought of The Seed in many years. I was there in 72 when it was on SR84. Many memories are surfacing now reading your comments. Yes, the place was horrible! They treated me like I was worthless and then told me they loved me. What a crock! I know I was never the same after this experience. I remember hating my parents for putting me there. They did the best they knew. They were afraid for me, they didn't speak English, and took someone's advice. I remember the fear I had to say the wrong things and be put back to start again. I made up lies about myself to fit in with what they expected to hear from a "druggie". I did all I could to be "good" just so I can get out of there. All I had done as far as drugs was pot a few times. I'm glad Art is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area