Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times

Advertisements

Sleepy feel, lots of old Jewish people, literally every face is white, cross the tracks and literally every face is black, Hispanic influence is there but not at all prominent, etc, but it's changing. I just feel like I might find the area awkward if I was black and it's not all that to begin with, as Hollywood has a cool gritty feel and is less congested, to the north and Sunny Isles/Aventura is just all-around nicer to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
OK. Question answered. Maybe you can post some of these "best neighborhoods in Broward" in my "Tour of the Suburbs" thread in the US General forum.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 AM

102 posts, read 309,562 times
I'm guessing that Southern Florida is better. North from there it is the "Golden Girls" meets the "Dukes of Hazard" (Very boring along with lots of beer and confederate wanabies).

Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
If you are looking for a place to live with your family but your concern it's avoid the racism, i can tell you with a reall knowlege: Don't think about weston!. If you didn't know, the city of weston was created under the concept (for me new nazism): No black people, no poor people.

The cost of life there is so expensive in all the facts, you are so far of the rest, and enother fact that some many persons of these comunity denied is the problem of the drugs. Yes drugs.

Another scary fact is that the weston hight society pay to avoid the spread of their inner problems. They want to show them like a perfect place to live and tht is no true!.

All the places have situations, all the places have problems. If you want a live in a perfect place let me tell you that doesn't exist yet.

Good look!.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
I plan on moving to South Florida and I don't want to live in the ghetto or anything even close to it.
I'm 75% African American (25% Native American) and have grown up around low income people who didn't want to do anything with their lives.

I've done some research, and it seems like Pembroke Pines, Coconut Creek, Davie, and Hallandale would be places I'd like to move.
Are these cities ideal places to live in? Or are they bad neighborhoods as well?
What are some good neighborhoods? And I wouldn't exactly encounter racism would I? (Even though it is an extremely diverse Florida, I'm sure prejudices and stereotypes still probably do exist, I just want to know, but racism won't really stop me from moving at all)

I understand no place is perfect but the ghetto is the ghetto and I am straying far FAR away from that heh. I know how that type of living is and I refuse to live that way any longer.

<3
Good for you! Being Latina growing up in inner-city working-class Chicago I know where you are coming from. I frequently get that "she thinks she is too good for where she came from attitude" from people who are still living that lifestyle. Excuse me for going to school and getting a degree and wanting better for my family. You would think that growing up that people people would want a better life for themselves instead they insist on "staying true." I HATE that frame of thought! Anyways- Weston is awesome. All parts are nice- no ghetto areas nearby. It's pretty much Latinos/Whites of higher SES- no ghetto-fabulous mindset here. Everyone carries themselves well and generally live to a higher standard! Good luck~

Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM

159 posts, read 559,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
American code is for Americans, the majority of whom does not speak another language. Of course it is a generalization, if nothing else, because there is a large Spanish speaking population in some areas.

Their attitude is what annoyed me, the way they addressed me. Or when they thought I was the nanny rather than the mother of my children, stereotyping an entire ethnicity. The fact that thinking I was Hispanic would naturally make them treat me as inferior, and then, when I would say I am Italian, then they would completely change their attitude.

I must add that in most cases I was mistreated by ignorant people. The educated ones, when they have a bias towards you, don't even bother to come close.
this door swings both ways

Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM

159 posts, read 559,067 times
Hollywood has a lot of racial diversity and people seem to tolerate each other well enough. But a lot of the people on this forum don't like Hollywood for some reason. I would suggest you come to south florida and visit different areas. Drive through the neighborhoods to get a feel for them. Also go to a shopping plaza in a certain area, I think thats a good way to get a feel for the area. See the peopl see how they act or react to you. Find out where you feel most comfortable. Nowhere is perfect in south florida.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 9,864 times
how is the imperial point area in fort lauderdale

Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,458 times
Florida is who you know ,you have to network here to get work..I moved from the D.C area ..Some people are very rude here especially when it comes to road rage and by Florida being a huge melting pot it's so funny how so many people are still racist it's not like they only see caucasions and they shoul d not be culture shocked .. Its very sad sometimes being African American cause you not only have your own race against you ..you have all the other races as well ..I live in Coral Springs and I like it sometimes and sometimes I don't . somes whites are very close minded in Florida and have that old racist mentality . Some blacks will get on your nerves too because they fit right into the stereotype of being ignorant especially Moderator cut: always a good idea not to stereotype people of a certain heritage ..I stay away from them . I'm trying to be as openminded and honest as possible coming all the way from the North with no family . I'm angry as a beautiful Black American woman have to say that because color of skin is an isuue here because we are still fighting for equality and the question is also why and sometimes I ask GOD why? Perhaps he should have made everyone one color....The sad portion is Blacks and Hispanics are their own worst enemy and as for racist people God will have his own vengeance on them ..They will not break my spirits. Overall Florida is mainly just pretty to look at well the FT. Lauderdale area. The people are not that nice and very very rude .. It is a huge melting pot and maybe all these cultures have not found a way to unite yet.. So don't be shocked if your experience is not that positive . The high school where my son attends is good and his middle school was excellent. The african Americans and hispanics are in minimum wage jobs like retail or landscaping or no work at all which is sad . I have not seen one political represenative at City Hall that is black correct me if I'm wrong I have issues with that . There should be every culture at city hall.

Last edited by fauve; 06-17-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsweet View Post
Florida is who you know ,you have to network here to get work..I moved from the D.C area ..Some people are very rude here especially when it comes to road rage and by Florida being a huge melting pot it's so funny how so many people are still racist it's not like they only see caucasions and they shoul d not be culture shocked .. Its very sad sometimes being African American cause you not only have your own race against you ..you have all the other races as well ..I live in Coral Springs and I like it sometimes and sometimes I don't . somes whites are very close minded in Florida and have that old racist mentality . Some blacks will get on your nerves too because they fit right into the stereotype of being ignorant especially Moderator cut: snip ..I stay away from them . I'm trying to be as openminded and honest as possible coming all the way from the North with no family . I'm angry as a beautiful Black American woman have to say that because color of skin is an isuue here because we are still fighting for equality and the question is also why and sometimes I ask GOD why? Perhaps he should have made everyone one color....The sad portion is Blacks and Hispanics are their own worst enemy and as for racist people God will have his own vengeance on them ..They will not break my spirits. Overall Florida is mainly just pretty to look at well the FT. Lauderdale area. The people are not that nice and very very rude .. It is a huge melting pot and maybe all these cultures have not found a way to unite yet.. So don't be shocked if your experience is not that positive . The high school where my son attends is good and his middle school was excellent. The african Americans and hispanics are in minimum wage jobs like retail or landscaping or no work at all which is sad . I have not seen one political represenative at City Hall that is black correct me if I'm wrong I have issues with that . There should be every culture at city hall.
While I'm sure you feel racial undertones from whites sometimes, I can tell you that as a white person, I experience racism just as often from the black community. It's not one-sided at all. Please spare all the inequality Moderator cut: offensive though in regards to jobs and representation, it's bogus.

Last edited by fauve; 06-17-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area