Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM

20 posts, read 55,685 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yep, I have a stable job here in SC but am willing to risk losing it and finding a new job for my happiness. Sure its affordable, we can get a brand spanking new house for under $150k but not worth it if all friends and family are in our hometown, and we're also a young family so it means a lot. We hope to move to fl this year to take advantage of the $8k housing credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Tell me more please about this credit. :-)

Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM

I believe you get an $8K tax credit for any home purchased in 2009. Sounds good to me! Get me outta here!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I heard it was more in Coral Springs - look into that - I don't no the details.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
My opinion sounds slightly different than others, and I dont have as much experience with the difference in states, BUT I live in Ft. lauderdale and I hate life here. Always going, never a second to call your own. Theres hardly any lanscape left here to just enjoy. Its.. run to the store, late for work, get the kids to x,y,and z, go go go. Thats how i feel here anyways. I was raised here for the past 20 yrs of my life and i'm ready for the country life. I want acreage, horses, and freedom. I am a people person and a go-getter. But i want to be one on my own time, not everyone elses. My family is all here and i'm ready to uproot myself, and hope they follow later (as my entire family & friends hates it here). And one HUGE decision factor is my 3 year old. I refuse to live here past her 5th birthday. The schools system in south florida is lacking. The education is poor, the upbringing of the children is questionable and as you know, everything is more expensive. Education is a huge priority in my home, and with you saying you have a child, may be something to consider. The only way to get a semi-decent education here is through private school which is in upwards of $30k +. Besides missing your family, what are the other downfalls in SC? My daughter is my reason for wanting a different lifestyle.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeFlorida View Post
Yep, you heard it right! I am a Floridian and moved to Upstate South Carolina almost 2 yrs ago and now want to move back! I had a baby out here and have hardly any family here and really want my child to be raised around a lot of family (in Florida). We actually moved here moneywise as cost of living is considerably lower but I am willing to sacrifice that as I am not at all happy in SC. We will move back to FL looking for a house and also emergency fund if no job. I am in the accounting field and am optimistic about landing a job. So does everyone think its a good idea to move? .

Please advise.

I'm from Fort Lauderdale and I'm moving to Charleston, SC in June. Believe me, I think you're remembering the good ole times in Fort Lauderdale. I've been overseas for 4 years and always manage to go back to Fort Lauderdale on vacation, just because I miss family and friends. Once there I realize things aren't how I remember them to be, and exactly why I picked up and left. Please think long and hard about moving back to Fort Lauderdale especially when cost of living will be so much cheaper for you to raise your child.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Ok all valid points about the school system n cost of living but once again i think family n friends come b4 all material things. My child should be able to c her grandparents anytime and other family, not a few times a year. And there are a lot of kids that do well in any school, no matter the school system. So yes we will have to settle on some overpriced goods and school, but its worth it to me to be with family. The land is beautiful here but there is one main road for just about everything n that can get boring.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
I believe that the tax credit for buying a home is for the first time homebuyer only.

I can't argue your reasons for moving, and for the sake of family I don't believe that there are any better. However,I wouldn't move if it would hurt my family either. If you were saying that a good job was available near family, you would be foolish not to pack IMMEDIATELY. If you are saying that you are moving regardless of the job to be near family, I believe that you are making a serious mistake..... The number one stressor to most marriages (beyond fidelity) has to do with financial security. This is a real bad time to be leaving a secure job anywhere, the risk of finding another is tenuous at best.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
but once again i think family n friends come b4 all material things.
But the people are so much less superficial up there! Why would you want to raise your kids around rude people, Hispanics and crime? They don't have rude people, crime, and Hispanics where your from.

*note- Can't anyone take a little dry wit??*

But seriously, think real hard before you come back down. To be honest, housing has become reasonable again, and the job market is acutally better than some other places (certainly better than anywhere in SC), but it's just a bad time in general to move. Please, please find a job before moving back down, and please, please do not buy a home yet. If you can't find anything, don't give up, but wait until better times.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-05-2009 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Quote:
Yep, you heard it right! I am a Floridian and moved to Upstate South Carolina almost 2 yrs ago and now want to move back! I had a baby out here and have hardly any family here and really want my child to be raised around a lot of family (in Florida). We actually moved here moneywise as cost of living is considerably lower but I am willing to sacrifice that as I am not at all happy in SC. We will move back to FL looking for a house and also emergency fund if no job. I am in the accounting field and am optimistic about landing a job. So does everyone think its a good idea to move? .

Please advise.
My $.02- Don't move anywhere (especially S.Florida) unless you plan on having a BETTER lifestyle than you do now. Moving is costly as well as draining. If you are living a decent stable middle class lifestyle in another state with a cheaper cost of living, think twice because it's very easy to slip a ring or two down the lifestyle ladder once you get to an expensive area like S. Florida. It may seem fine at first because it LOOKS like your average people are surviving but it will eventually take a serious toll on you and a few years down the road, you will have regrets again. Think logically, not so much emotionally, and think about what is absolutely best for your family's future (ie being able to really save for retirement, education for kids, keeping your debt down, ect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area