Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Hey, Wild Style, thanks and absolutely!!!

Plus we've got to talk about the Gold Standard, the IMF, fiscal and monetary policy, etc., over some beverages.

Thanks again forthe invitation to contact you!

Best.
No problem man. Oh and for the record as i have said on here many times. If S. Florida is where you end up, give Miami a look. But only the areas east of 95 from say Morning Side to as far south as Coconut Grove. I am FAR more impressed with Miami (in those areas) than Fort Lauderdale. Lots more to do down there too and the city is really trying to step their game up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
No problem man. Oh and for the record as i have said on here many times. If S. Florida is where you end up, give Miami a look. But only the areas east of 95 from say Morning Side to as far south as Coconut Grove. I am FAR more impressed with Miami (in those areas) than Fort Lauderdale. Lots more to do down there too and the city is really trying to step their game up.
Okay guy. Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,638 times
Quote:
u know I've been to the Grove in over 20 years. I have a friend who is been living in the Grove since the 80s, and he's a transplant from NYC too. He's a male nurse and probably in his late 50's by now. I tried going by him on my last trip but schedules didn't allow. He loves living there, and I've another buddy in Kendall who move there in the 80's when the development was new. He could afford to move to Broward since his house in paid off, but he still likes it there. So there folks who like Miami.... Wild Style, what's the name of the island off Miami where folks live?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

90 posts, read 374,929 times
Default Loving Ft lauderdale Fl

My brother-In law is in the Coast Guard and he loves living in Ft Lauderdale, he is a beach person however and he is really fun and easy going. I would not recommend FT Lauderdale if one gets frustrated easily by traffic, bad drivers, rude people, high rental prices for shoddy apartments and a high electric bill for running the a/c 24-7.
tcar509

Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Wild Style, what's the name of the island off Miami where folks live?
There are a lot of Islands man. There is Williams island, star island, key Biscayne, bal harbor and I know I am forgetting some.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,638 times
Quote:
There are a lot of Islands man. There is Williams island, star island, key Biscayne, bal harbor and I know I am forgetting some.
Fisher Island - only accessible by ferry. Playground for the rich and famous...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Fisher Island - only accessible by ferry. Playground for the rich and famous...
Ah, didn't know about fisher.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,638 times
Quote:
Ah, didn't know about fisher.
Hmmm, going senile here - but none of those names ring a bell. An old college bud of mine had move to one of those island in the early 90's that was sort of ritzy. He always bragged about it, but for the life of me I can't think of the name. I kept in touch for a bit, but you know how it goes.....

Old 02-07-2009, 02:47 AM

15 posts, read 100,181 times
Default Westin Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Miami water clear..negative.

I stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hillandale; rooms cost $500 night. Guess what, ruined 3 of my board shorts because of tar in the water.

South beach - riddled with seaweed and had to walk like a 1/4 mile (seem like...lol) to get into the water.

Surfside....well lots of good eyefood, nice slope and good waves.

FLL ...on point, short walk into the surf...was heaven, not clear water though. But crystal clear if you compare to the murky waters of OC or Dewey.

Crystal clear = clearwater beach, west coast ......
---------------------------------------------------------------
If I may, the Diplomat, technically is in Hollywood, and Hallandale Beach is close, by crossing the "flyover bridge". I watched them build that, and the Diplomat. The old Posner wooded tract there, is now filled with high rise condos on the Hallandale Beach proper; a shame.The Beachball water tower- you can buy T-shirts with the beachball logo at City Hall, on US 1, #400 S Federal Hwy. See the City Clerk, downstairs lobby.

Beach erosion is not pleasant there in that general and has been an issue for years. Although, Hollywood beach is pretty good and there is a paved walkway that runs a couple miles parallel to the ocean, with places to eat/drink on the entire distance. A piece of advice: All beaches along the coast there that are "north of the entry point" at Ft Lauderdale for cruise ships entering, are typically better. Why? Because the water action carrying sand naturally down the coastline gets impeded beyond that entry point out/in from the ocean. After that point, sand replenishment by nature is really very bad and needs human intervention. Therefore, Westin Diplomat and Hallandale Beaches suffer, until money is spent to have barges and suction tubes pull sand up and throw it onto those areas. After a huge tropical storm or hurricane, erosion again and back to square one.

A nice spot near there is Young Circle, which is a mile up from the Hollywood beach Hotel area towards US 1. Replanted and sodded a couple years back and just beautiful. Great restaurants all around the Circle too.

Myrtle Beach was my haunt when younger and the Beach Club acts fabulous. We saw the Original Platters, Drifters, and Coasters there. Drive up into North Carolina from Myrtle, and look at the beaches and around Topsail and further, all nice, wilder.

Florida is nice but just so many people now. If you go to South Beach, go to the point park and hopefully, they will keep having Friday night free music at the park, sitting on the grass, chilling. I liked it, but having grown up in the Carolinas, it is where my heart stays.

Last edited by Fortunekookie; 02-07-2009 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 AM

15 posts, read 100,181 times
Default Islands

Quote:
----------------------------
Fisher Island is across Government cut, where cruise ships enter and depart for the ocean. Driving from the City of Miami along the MacArthur Causeway towards the Beach, you pass the Miami Herald paper, then Venetian Islands on the left (parallel to the causeway), then over the park area where sea planes depart, then on the left is Palm Island (Al Capone's old home is on Palm Island, turn right after the entry bridge) and behind Palm is Hibiscus Island. Next left is Star Island and a lot of celebrities. The causeway used to have trees along it and you could not see much, then they widened it in 1992-93 and I watched them do it. They placed huge coral rocks along the edges of the road way, filled in , then paved. Much better visibility. The old gym where Ali worked out on 5th street, was right there near Collins Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area