Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a list of areas in the either county, where normal middle class people can live and still have their kids go to good schools? I have found in my research that if the elementary school is good the middle and high schools are not so good...wierd but true. Does anyone know any areas other than Parkland and Coral Springs that have A schools all the way through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
I can only speak for 1 school in Broward that I know of, and it's private. My friends from here move there 4 years ago, and the transformation in their daughters whole dimeanor/speech/articulation/confidence/grades etc is off the chart. American Heritage...it's a struggle for them financially, but the rewards can be seen.

Let me call my cousin and see what schools his daughters went to. They did real well for themselves and went through the public school system in Broward.

Last edited by tonyc; 01-14-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
^^^ Just an FYI, Heritage does give generous scholarships in many different categories - high 7th-9th grade SAT scores, athletic talent, fine art talent, drama talent, faculty child, financial need, etc.

And another kudos for Heritage - I have one kid who excels there because he's an academic superstar and another because she is a talented photographer. There are all kinds of kids at this school and they are from, literally, everywhere - it has got to be as diverse a school as they come.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
I know a lot more about schools in Miami-Dade than I do about schools in Broward, and although I prefer Miami-Dade I will say that the schools in middle class areas of Broward generally have better test scores/reputations than the schools in middle class areas of Miami-Dade. There are some very good schools in Miami-Dade, but they tend to be in more affluent areas. "Middle class" schools tend to be rated B or C instead of A. In Broward, look to Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Davie, Coconut Creek, Margate, and Coral Springs for well-regarded schools in middle class areas.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
Hi, I grew up in Broward specifically Plantation which is an upper middle class area. The heart of Plantation is around University Dr. and Broward Blvd. American Heritage,as the other poster mentioned, is just west on Broward. Heritage is however extremely expensive. Other private schools are Pine Crest, Cardinal Gibons(Catholic) or where I graduated from, St. Thomas Aquinas High. If your looking for Public schools, Tropical Elem. in Plantation is good but stay away from Plantation middle or high. South Plantation is okay, not great not horrible. As members of my family teach in several public high schools, I know a lot about Broward public high schools and can ask & get more info on middle and elementary schools if you would like. Just message me for a list. Good luck and take care, lilred

Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
My kids are at American Heritage. I love the school. They combine excellent academics with lots of enriching opportunities. My oldest is Mr. Sports and my middle is Mr. Music. They are both happy there and my youngest is awaiting 6th grade when he will enroll there.

If you are looking for excellent public schools avoid the entire state. If you are looking for OK schools from K-12 try Weston. The elementaries are:

Gator Run
Manatee Bay
Eagle Point
Country Isles
Everglades
Indian Trace
Imagine Charter School at Weston

Middle Schools
Falcon Cove
Tequesta Trace

High Schools
Cypress Bay
Western

Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
I only have experience with one school and I loved it: Nova University school. But it is private and expensive, although a little less than Pine Crest. Academically, it is very good.

People used to swear about the Pembroke Pines charter, I hope someone has direct experience on it.

For the early years, Summit Montessori school is Davie is also good, although I would not have kept my younger one for later grades.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I saw the tuition prices for Heritage and Iknow that I could never afford that, so I won't even pretend I can. Do you have any experience with the schools you listed?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
^^^Send them a resume too...faculty kids get free tuition

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I saw the tuition prices for Heritage and Iknow that I could never afford that, so I won't even pretend I can. Do you have any experience with the schools you listed?
Go talk to them before you write them off. There are scholarships available and if you have a special skill you may be able to barter work in your specialty for tutiion discounts. I know that lots of kids in the academy get help. Some of it is public money but you need to know how to get it. They might be able to help. They also hire parents as teachers (if qualified) and give very good employee discounts.

That said, my kids all went to Imagine Charter at Weston for elementary school. As far as public schools go it is a nice school. It is not quite as large as the other public schools. My kids have adjusted very well to private school and were well prepared for 6th grade. I currently have one 4th grader at Imagine Charter and my older kids (7th/9th) are at American Heritage.

As much as my kids thrived at Imagine Charter I would be wary of sending a child with special needs there. The school does not have the same level of special services as other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area