Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 07:40 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
The closest that would come to the aura of Ocala would be Loxahatchee and yet that is even being built up by Minto.

It’s about an hour, hour and a half away from Dania Beach but I suspect that the OP’s budget might not be big enough.
Nah.........they want $1500 for 300 sq foot barn apartments out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaJit247 View Post
Go back to New York dude, I'm not trying to be rude or anything but that's the only way

To Buffalo once and it was like a ghost town.
I was there once about 10 years ago, wasn't impressed either. If I was from there I would pick a better town from nearby and say I was from there.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:35 PM

45 posts, read 38,702 times
Florida.....a sunny place for shady people
We lived in Foat Laddada on one of the isles off of Las Olas from 1980 until 2005. Had our car stolen twice, a man was murdered after returning home from a visit to his ATM machine, (he was followed home)., also many burglaries took place. In addition to loosing our roof during hurricane Katrina....we finally left for Arizona.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:33 PM

175 posts, read 137,779 times
Quote:
Go back to New York dude, I'm not trying to be rude or anything but that's the only way
For this thing to work, Dania Beach is the hood, and the large majority of Broward that
Is affordable is as well. You can't really find peace and quiet in South Florida, I've been
??? i'm in wpb right now. Quiet as can be. ???

Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 AM

576 posts, read 568,223 times
The OP was looking for the Northeast development model. Dense little cores with medium density suburbs surrounded by low density rural areas. That is not how South Florida works. There's limited space, and development is driven by developers. not individuals. So everything is a development. Even if you head out to Big Cypress you still wouldn't have that. That's the trade off. There used to be this idea up north (yeah that's me) that Florida was cheap. It isn't anymore.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:25 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
The OP was looking for the Northeast development model. Dense little cores with medium density suburbs surrounded by low density rural areas. That is not how South Florida works. There's limited space, and development is driven by developers. not individuals. So everything is a development. Even if you head out to Big Cypress you still wouldn't have that. That's the trade off. There used to be this idea up north (yeah that's me) that Florida was cheap. It isn't anymore.
This. Aside from the toniest suburbs of Boston and New York, much of Florida is now far more expensive than the Northeast, especially South Florida.

I was also one who always thought “Florida is cheap!” until I moved here and experienced sticker shock.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:04 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
For this thing to work, Dania Beach is the hood, and the large majority of Broward that
Is affordable is as well. You can't really find peace and quiet in South Florida, I've been
I didn't read the entire thread. "Peace and Quiet" "Garage-work on his cars" = the Panhandle is quiet with lots of elbow space, and certainly more affordable inland from the Gulf beaches. He would blend right in coming from Upstate NY, he wouldn't feel the cooler months, and if he didn't discard his winter coats

OP: What is attracting you to Broward? Have you visited the Panhandle? Ocala? West of Gainesville?

Old 03-09-2024, 02:46 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This. Aside from the toniest suburbs of Boston and New York, much of Florida is now far more expensive than the Northeast, especially South Florida.

I was also one who always thought “Florida is cheap!” until I moved here and experienced sticker shock.
So true. Many parts of Connecticut can be considered a relative bargain compared to south Florida (income tax aside). That being said, if one enjoys warm weather then October to May in Florida can't be matched up north. For me cheap flights and a small condo is the perfect compromise. Purchasing a decent house in a nice neighborhood in south Florida is $1 million+. This is out of reach for most middle-income families.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi97 View Post
Florida.....a sunny place for shady people
We lived in Foat Laddada on one of the isles off of Las Olas from 1980 until 2005. Had our car stolen twice, a man was murdered after returning home from a visit to his ATM machine, (he was followed home)., also many burglaries took place. In addition to loosing our roof during hurricane Katrina....we finally left for Arizona.
You would cry if you saw what your old house is worth today..........

But you also have to look closer at "atm murders" as this wasn't a $100 out of the atm type deal. Likely it was a withdrawal for drugs/hookers and that is what got them killed. Car theft is still an issue but now its progressed to "golf cart" theft too (google Victoria park golf cart thefts). Harbor Beach had 4 guys prowling, pulled over by Ft Lauderdale PD, thugs started a shootout with the lone cop. That's ballsy for a property crime.

I like 33301/33316 but its surrounded by have nots. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton a few months back and while it was beautiful, the walk along A1A especially at night was eye opening between the traffic with music blaring, the homeless and lots of folks looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area