Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2023, 12:01 AM

214 posts, read 259,686 times

Advertisements

We are planning/hoping to buy a condo, hopefully mid 200's next year. We are renting now
I'll be short of at least 40K or more if we end up paying bet 250 and 300

I am in my early 60's, likely will work until my late 60's/early 70's, 10 years or less, give or take

my question is...is it worth it getting on 40-80K mortgage even for 10 years at 7 plus %? or does it make more sense cash a 50K approx. pension plan I have and take a lump sum? or even cash out some of my 401k plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 12:40 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Call a MTG broker first and see what they can get you for a mortgage. There might not be anyone that wants to do a 40K mtg. It was a problem a few years go for a relative, the banks didn't want to do one that small.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:17 PM

I'm guessing they won't do it for less than 50K, right? maybe not even. Perhaps nothing under 100K

Old 11-01-2023, 08:01 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
When we bought our home in Gainesville 6 years ago, we decided to get a $100k mortgage, as we wanted to take some of the profits from the sale of our home in Weston and put it in our investment account.

We had our mortgage thru Chase down in Weston and when we called them to discuss a $100k mortgage in Gainesville, they turned down the business, saying they didn’t work with mortgages that small.

We have accounts at Bank of America and although they were interested, they eventually failed to return our calls. I have an account at a local credit union, and even though we had to jump through lots of hoops, we got great terms, 15 year fixed at 2.75%. The credit Union still hasn’t sold our mortgage and probably never will.

I agree with city guy—call a mortgage broker and/or check with the financial institutions where you have relationships. Also, be careful about taxes on withdrawals on retirement plans. You could see about 20% to 30% swept away to Uncle Sam.

It might be worth a call to call your 401k provider and/or pension plan and see if they offer loans against your account. The payments on loans used to purchase homes could be drawn out for as long as 10 years and although you’re paying interest, and lose out on potential opportunity growth since the collateral can’t be invested in the market, the loan is tax-free and you pay yourself back and don’t obliterate your account.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2023, 09:09 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I have had no problems getting a mortgage under 50k. You will incur a lot of taxes taking retirement money when you are still working.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have had no problems getting a mortgage under 50k. You will incur a lot of taxes taking retirement money when you are still working.
Would you mind telling which bank you used, please?
I have no idea where to start

Old 11-02-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
When we bought our home in Gainesville 6 years ago, we decided to get a $100k mortgage, as we wanted to take some of the profits from the sale of our home in Weston and put it in our investment account.

We had our mortgage thru Chase down in Weston and when we called them to discuss a $100k mortgage in Gainesville, they turned down the business, saying they didn’t work with mortgages that small.

We have accounts at Bank of America and although they were interested, they eventually failed to return our calls. I have an account at a local credit union, and even though we had to jump through lots of hoops, we got great terms, 15 year fixed at 2.75%. The credit Union still hasn’t sold our mortgage and probably never will.

I agree with city guy—call a mortgage broker and/or check with the financial institutions where you have relationships. Also, be careful about taxes on withdrawals on retirement plans. You could see about 20% to 30% swept away to Uncle Sam.

It might be worth a call to call your 401k provider and/or pension plan and see if they offer loans against your account. The payments on loans used to purchase homes could be drawn out for as long as 10 years and although you’re paying interest, and lose out on potential opportunity growth since the collateral can’t be invested in the market, the loan is tax-free and you pay yourself back and don’t obliterate your account.

Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback
The financial institutions where I have relationships are the big guys: Chase, Capital One

Would you mind sharing which credit union you went to?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2023, 07:18 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
Alfie, I got my mortgage through Space Coast Credit Union. They are based in Melbourne, and have branches all up the east coast of Florida. Ironically, none up here in Gainesville but that didn’t impact their decision to give me a mortgage.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Alfie, I got my mortgage through Space Coast Credit Union. They are based in Melbourne, and have branches all up the east coast of Florida. Ironically, none up here in Gainesville but that didn’t impact their decision to give me a mortgage.

Good luck!
Hi!
Did you get a competitive rate compared to the big corp banks?
I hear they can grant mortgages as low as 50K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area