Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 12:44 AM

785 posts, read 484,232 times

Advertisements

Hello. Will be visiting in mid March. Every city has its "bad" areas. I know very little about Ft. Laud other than the beach areas. What are the few neighborhoods/towns one would stay clear of regarding potential crime?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 06:42 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Whereabouts are you staying? If it’s on the beach, the entire section is beautiful, and walking around you just have to be alert for crimes of opportunity (don’t flash fancy jewelry or cash). Las Olas is nice too. Fort Lauderdale, and Florida overall, loves its reputation as a tourist destination and we like to keep our visitors safe.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:24 AM

27,175 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Most of the bad neighborhoods are clustered along the I-95 corridor in the unincorporated areas of Ft Lauderdale under Broward County jurisdiction. All of the beach access routes (17th Street Causeway, Las Olas Boulevard, Sunrise Boulevard, Oakland Park Boulevard and Commercial Boulevard) are pretty safe corridors east of US1 with the weakest link maybe being Oakland Park Boulevard near US1. Not dangerous per se but just an opportunity zone in some instances for petty crimes. The beachfront traffic artery (A1A) is pretty safe as well but has its opportunity moments largely between Las Olas and Sunrise (the most heavily trafficked area).

Old 03-02-2023, 11:58 PM

214 posts, read 259,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most of the bad neighborhoods are clustered along the I-95 corridor in the unincorporated areas of Ft Lauderdale under Broward County jurisdiction. All of the beach access routes (17th Street Causeway, Las Olas Boulevard, Sunrise Boulevard, Oakland Park Boulevard and Commercial Boulevard) are pretty safe corridors east of US1 with the weakest link maybe being Oakland Park Boulevard near US1. Not dangerous per se but just an opportunity zone in some instances for petty crimes. The beachfront traffic artery (A1A) is pretty safe as well but has its opportunity moments largely between Las Olas and Sunrise (the most heavily trafficked area).
I noticed that Andrews Ave runs into I95 somewhere around Oakland Park

Would you stay that the Andrews Ave corridor is relatively safe south of Oakland Park?

I cannot identify those unincorporated areas you mentioned.

What are the approx. boundaries? if you would rather not mention the actual neighborhoods may I ask?
I have an idea by looking them up in niche.com but would like to hear feedback from locals, Thank you

Old 03-03-2023, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm coming down from the northeast to look around for a couple of days. Not really a vaca, so the high rates for beach hotels are killing me. I figured I could get a decent room at a Hampton Inn/La Quinta or something for under $150. But when you read the reviews, much like other cities, you hear about a lot of homeless people or recent convicts now living in the hotels as well as sketchy areas around the hotels. So I'm hoping maybe going further West out to Sunrise, Weston, Tamarac, Plantation, Coral Springs. But I just don't know those areas. I don't need to be in the action as I will have a car and can drive.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:54 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
I still drive down to South Florida several times a year to see clients, so I’ll tell you where I have enjoyed my stays:

LaQuinta, on SW 6th Street in Plantation. Modern, clean and updated, with good-sized rooms and free basic breakfast. Beautiful area near Broward Mall and The Fountains in Plantation. Do not confuse it with the LaQuinta on Peters Road which is not updated and gets consistent lower reviews.

Courtyard by Marriott, Weston. Weston is a beautiful, manicured safe city, and although you have a car, you can safely walk to several restaurants less than a mile away if you want to stretch your legs.

Hampton Inn/Comfort Suites, Weston. Hilton bought out this property several months ago and it is in the process of being renovated. It’s right around the corner from the Courtyard, so same beautiful neighborhood. You may have to put up with some renovation noise right now. I’ve stayed when it was a Comfort Suite and it fell off my list since the exercise room was a joke. I’m looking forward to checking it out as a Hampton Inn once renovations are complete.

Hampton Inn, Coconut Creek. Nice property and is about 5 miles north of the Promenade, which is a gorgeous area with shops and restaurants. Not as walkable an area as the Weston and Plantation properties.

Hampton Inn, Deerfield Beach. Also nice, and you’re further east, so closer to the beach.

Hampton Inn, Tamarac. Right off of Sawgrass. Nice hotel, safe area but the area lacks character but since you have a car, you can use it to sightsee and visit Sawgrass Mall, see the Everglades, etc.

All of these have free parking and except for Courtyard, free breakfast.

Old 03-03-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
I noticed that Andrews Ave runs into I95 somewhere around Oakland Park

Would you stay that the Andrews Ave corridor is relatively safe south of Oakland Park?

I cannot identify those unincorporated areas you mentioned.

What are the approx. boundaries? if you would rather not mention the actual neighborhoods may I ask?
I have an idea by looking them up in niche.com but would like to hear feedback from locals, Thank you
Yes, that's the City of Wilton Manors. Oakland Park, to the north of Oakland Park Blvd along Andrews Ave is fine as well. NW 9th Ave which runs parallel to I-95 has some tougher neighborhoods like Lauderdale Manors for instance. South Middle River and Lazy Lake are transitional with better options as you head east.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Thanks.

I'm coming down from the northeast to look around for a couple of days. Not really a vaca, so the high rates for beach hotels are killing me. I figured I could get a decent room at a Hampton Inn/La Quinta or something for under $150. But when you read the reviews, much like other cities, you hear about a lot of homeless people or recent convicts now living in the hotels as well as sketchy areas around the hotels. So I'm hoping maybe going further West out to Sunrise, Weston, Tamarac, Plantation, Coral Springs. But I just don't know those areas. I don't need to be in the action as I will have a car and can drive.
I wouldn't stay on the west side as east-west traffic is notoriously bad in the area, taking half an hour hour or more often to go a few miles. Anywhere you go with a hotel at that rate is going to be pretty skeevy in terms of location, clientele or both unfortunately so would bite the bullet and look more at market rate accommodations. Look a bit north in Boca Raton is my advice at hotels like the Best Western University Inn
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...c-c500d1c1cf22 the Sonesta Select https://www.sonesta.com/sonesta-sele...ness_advantage or the Fairfield Inn https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...n_Florida.html Their rates are right around $180 so not terribly far above your budget and well worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I still drive down to South Florida several times a year to see clients, so I’ll tell you where I have enjoyed my stays:

LaQuinta, on SW 6th Street in Plantation. Modern, clean and updated, with good-sized rooms and free basic breakfast. Beautiful area near Broward Mall and The Fountains in Plantation. Do not confuse it with the LaQuinta on Peters Road which is not updated and gets consistent lower reviews.

Courtyard by Marriott, Weston. Weston is a beautiful, manicured safe city, and although you have a car, you can safely walk to several restaurants less than a mile away if you want to stretch your legs.

Hampton Inn/Comfort Suites, Weston. Hilton bought out this property several months ago and it is in the process of being renovated. It’s right around the corner from the Courtyard, so same beautiful neighborhood. You may have to put up with some renovation noise right now. I’ve stayed when it was a Comfort Suite and it fell off my list since the exercise room was a joke. I’m looking forward to checking it out as a Hampton Inn once renovations are complete.

Hampton Inn, Coconut Creek. Nice property and is about 5 miles north of the Promenade, which is a gorgeous area with shops and restaurants. Not as walkable an area as the Weston and Plantation properties.

Hampton Inn, Deerfield Beach. Also nice, and you’re further east, so closer to the beach.

Hampton Inn, Tamarac. Right off of Sawgrass. Nice hotel, safe area but the area lacks character but since you have a car, you can use it to sightsee and visit Sawgrass Mall, see the Everglades, etc.

All of these have free parking and except for Courtyard, free breakfast.
Perfect. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't stay on the west side as east-west traffic is notoriously bad in the area, taking half an hour hour or more often to go a few miles. Anywhere you go with a hotel at that rate is going to be pretty skeevy in terms of location, clientele or both unfortunately so would bite the bullet and look more at market rate accommodations. Look a bit north in Boca Raton is my advice at hotels like the Best Western University Inn
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...c-c500d1c1cf22 the Sonesta Select https://www.sonesta.com/sonesta-sele...ness_advantage or the Fairfield Inn https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...n_Florida.html Their rates are right around $180 so not terribly far above your budget and well worth the piece of mind in my opinion.
Yep. I started to look around Boca as well. I don't necesarily need to be in Ft. Laud. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area