Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,264 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I’m new to this website, my husband and I are looking to move to the Weston area From Dallas, Texas. Our max budget would be 2.5 MAX, we heard that Weston has good schools and is a quiet, clean “nice landscaped area”. We have a 8,12 and a 15 year old. We’ve been looking at Weston for houses and we saw that West Pembroke Pines is very similar looking with good schools but for a significantly less money for our budget and a lot more house models to choose from. The crime rates are very similar “West Pembroke Pines,I speak” to Weston and by the looks West Pines is very quiet as well and more options to pick from. We saw beautiful houses in both cities. We’re not sure if we are going to send the little ones to private school yet but heard Cypress Bay High School was a good public school choice , I see the houses in Weston are a little more older looking near the school aside from some of the mansions near it. I feel as Weston models tend to be a bit more cookie cutter plain but again the landscaping is very nice there. What would be a better option for our potential last home and public and private schools there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 07:29 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
My husband retired and we sold our home in Weston about 7 years ago but we still visit the area about 4 times a year to see family, friends and in my case, clients so I feel I can give you some advice, FWIW. We did live in Weston for nearly 2 decades.

You are correct, the western part of Pembroke Pines is as lovely as Weston and your real estate dollars will go much farther there. It doesn’t look as cookie cutter because of the different builders and developments. Weston was primarily built by one builder, Arvida, so that’s why there’s a certain sameness to each section although the more expensive areas look different.

Weston’s allure is that practically each neighborhood is gated, the landscaping is among the best in the area and its schools perform consistently well on all metrics. Cypress Bay is one of the top rated high schools in the state. There are no high crime neighborhoods in Weston, nor are there any areas that look rundown.

The real estate in the eastern part of Pembroke Pines is different than the west, mostly condos, townhouses and villas, whereas Weston is primarily SFH’s like west Pembroke Pines. The entire city of Pembroke Pines is about twice the size of Weston too.

Weston’s allure is its Disney-esque landscaping, top rated public schools, careful city planning and zoning and reputation for safety. But if you like what you see in Pembroke Pines, I wouldn’t let that stop you from moving there. South Florida real estate is valuable so you’ll see appreciation no matter where you buy, although my guess is that you’d see more in Weston.

When we bought in Weston in 1996, we paid $200k for a 4/2.5 with a pool. Sold 6 years ago for $500k. Our buyers sold a year and a half later for $650k. The Zillow estimate is now $850k so crazy times for real estate.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,264 times
Thank you Wizrap, are the Private schools in Weston better than other in the area?

Old 09-26-2022, 04:01 PM

The public schools are so good in Weston that families don’t choose the city due to private schools. They like the fact that they can avoid that expense. However, I knew some catholic families who sent their kids to Bonaventure, which goes up to 8th grade and is in nearby Davie.

The main private school in Weston is Sagemont but I didn’t know any families who sent their kids there, sorry.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:30 AM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnowman View Post
Hi everyone I’m new to this website, my husband and I are looking to move to the Weston area From Dallas, Texas. Our max budget would be 2.5 MAX, we heard that Weston has good schools and is a quiet, clean “nice landscaped area”. We have a 8,12 and a 15 year old. We’ve been looking at Weston for houses and we saw that West Pembroke Pines is very similar looking with good schools but for a significantly less money for our budget and a lot more house models to choose from. The crime rates are very similar “West Pembroke Pines,I speak” to Weston and by the looks West Pines is very quiet as well and more options to pick from. We saw beautiful houses in both cities. We’re not sure if we are going to send the little ones to private school yet but heard Cypress Bay High School was a good public school choice , I see the houses in Weston are a little more older looking near the school aside from some of the mansions near it. I feel as Weston models tend to be a bit more cookie cutter plain but again the landscaping is very nice there. What would be a better option for our potential last home and public and private schools there.

Hi, you also want to check Cooper City. This is right by 595, a few minutes from I-95, a few minutes from I-75, and 20 minutes from both the stadium where the Dolphins football team plays, the Miami Grand Prix, and 20 minutes to the stadium where the Florida Panthers play.

The school district is A+ rated... with their elementary schools and high schools averaging anywhere from 8 to 10. They even filmed a blockbuster movie in Cooper City in the early 2000s, though I would recommend against watching it.

Cooper City is also right by University Drive, which puts it next to three major colleges. NOVA SouthEastern, Florida Atlantic University (South Campus), and Broward College (Central Campus). There's also two brand new hospitals... major hospitals, within 5 minute drive. You have everything there (check out the Tower Shops). Infrastructure was very well planned out, so while it's a very busy area, the roads are absolutely built to handle the traffic. There were also a lot of parks built and land preservation done before it became built up... so there's a lot of walking paths and nearby recreational areas. There's Tradewinds Park, TY Park, Flamingo Gardens, and a half dozen others all within a few miles from Cooper City. Cooper City pretty much has everything. It's also only 15-20 minutes from the beach via Stirling to Hollywood Beach, or take I-595 to US-1 and Fort Lauderdale beach.

You may also want to consider Plantation... though it's become very commercialized. Cooper City has homes that range from about $600k to about $2.5 million. Some parts of Davie, FL are also good to look at.

I lived in South Florida for most of my adult life, but have lived in other parts of the country as well. I think you'll really like Cooper City, personally. Depends on what you're looking for though... Weston was built later, and built as a planned community... so the homes are bigger but on smaller lots. You have a lot of those... huge garage homes where the garage is the most prominent part of the house. Even the million+ homes are designed that way... which I personally cannot stand. For me... the home either has to have a side garage, or a garage that's part of the home, but not the most prominent feature of the home. Don't get me wrong, Weston is nice... but because it was a planned community, and didn't simply grow organically... it's not very built up. You often feel a little "trapped" inside the community. Things feel newish, but built and left... not abandoned... hard to explain... somewhat ignored. Some people like that feeling of quietness and isolation. I like to be in the middle of everything, while still having a peaceful neighborhood, and excellent schools. It's why I bought in Cooper City in 2003, and have never sold that house. I don't live there now, but I will never sell that home because the city is that fantastic.

Last edited by Atari2600; 09-27-2022 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-27-2022, 10:21 AM

Yes, Cooper City is also beautiful and west Plantation is too but unfortunately once you get to middle and high school, the public school ratings really drop. Most families start to look at private at that point and the gold standard is American Heritage in Plantation.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:35 PM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Yes, Cooper City is also beautiful and west Plantation is too but unfortunately once you get to middle and high school, the public school ratings really drop. Most families start to look at private at that point and the gold standard is American Heritage in Plantation.

Cooper City only has one high school, and it's currently an 8/10, but really should be more like a 9.

https://www.greatschools.org/florida...y-High-School/

It's always been a very good school, with a strong science, STEM, and vocational support, with a very large sports program as well. All the schools in Cooper City are 8/10 through 10/10.

But agreed on Plantation. The schools in Plantation are hit or miss... but you cannot go wrong in Cooper City. It's one of the draws of Cooper City.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:30 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
OP, at that price range and if desiring top public schools Parkland should be on your shortlist as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area