Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2022, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,182 times

Advertisements

Thinking back to my childhood and visits to see my grandparents who lived in Boca, one restaurant stands out in my memory. I’ve been trying to trace the maps as best as I could with the “jigs and jags” that a child might remember. I am pretty certain the restaurant was across from what is now the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort. Am I correct in assuming that this area was completely renovated? The restaurant that I remember was shack-like and, I believe, close to a pier. We ordered our breakfasts at the counter and sat at wooden picnic tables “outside.” (kind of like an enclosed porch). It was very breezy but so uniquely beachy & laidback. They served their very simple breakfasts on paper plates and gave paper napkins & plastic utensils. I remember looking across the street and seeing a hotel - possibly a Howard Johnson? About 14 years ago when I was last visiting my grandparents before my grandmother passed, I tried driving down there and the place where I thought the restaurant was located was no longer. I looked on Google Maps - the cafe that is close to the pier is definitely not the same place that I am thinking of. Does anyone remember such a restaurant about 35-40 years ago?? If not in DB, do you remember a similar restaurant/location somewhat close to Boca?? I know this must seem ridiculous but I am so curious if I am remembering the correct location? Any details about that old beachfront breakfast shack would be sooo appreciated. We only went there a handful of times but it was a memorable place for me. TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:13 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Howard Johnson was on the south side of the A1A/pier intersection. It may have been the Big Daddy's/Flanagans with the picnic tables/open patio (its still there: 2041 NE 2nd St, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441 ). The Whale's Rib is next door and has been there more than 40 years but pre-covid it didn't have any outside seating.

There was something adjacent to the pier but it got torn down, made into a parking lot and JB's on the Beach was built about 20-25 years ago.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:30 PM

16 posts, read 55,276 times
There was a covered snack bar area with picnic tables on a patio immediately north of the pier. Adjacent to that was Ranch House.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:19 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodaddy View Post
There was a covered snack bar area with picnic tables on a patio immediately north of the pier. Adjacent to that was Ranch House.
totally forgot about Ranch House!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: