Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 12:32 AM

214 posts, read 260,555 times

Advertisements

I barely see anymore postings for a 1 BD apt for less than 2K in downtown FLL

Are the smaller cities downtown areas like Hollywood, Delrey, West Palm Beach any more affordable than FLL?
anything between WPB and Hallandale, urban setting where you can walk to stores as possible

I also like Hallandale Beach, Pompano B, but I don't see much of a walkable downtown area, is there?

I like Boca Raton also but it looks as expensive or more than Ft Lauderdale to me!

Further west areas like Plantation, Weston seem more suburban than urban lifestyle

I also checked the Tampa Bay Area where most condos are but I do not see a plentiful offer for condos as I do see it in South East FL. And if any, they're also over 2K...

Thank you in advance for any input

Employer relocation already but now concerned I'll be priced out of the east coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 08:44 AM

635 posts, read 405,926 times
I’m surprised no one has replied to your thread as you inadvertently bring up a good topic. Now to clarify, I’m not insinuating that you’re saying this, but there seems to be a prevailing opinion that as one moves further away from a cultural and financial hub (Miami in this case) that the housing costs should go down.

Typically I would say this is the case, but Southeast Florida is unique in that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most populous counties in the state comprise Southeast Florida (Also Monroe County should be honorably mentioned) and the northernmost city in Palm Beach County (Jupiter) and the southernmost city in Miami-Dade are only 121 miles away…in other words the entire metro is connected and is one of the longest urbanized areas in the country.

With all this said, the reason the prices don’t drop off going north of Fort Lauderdale is that there are three main downtowns and three international airports in South Florida and it’s all connected by Brightline and Tri-Rail and of course less than 65 miles of driving (typically). Anyone living in WPB could live in Miami and vise versa - money isn’t the factor preventing that. Lifestyle, family, job etc are typically the real factors.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:15 PM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
I’m surprised no one has replied to your thread as you inadvertently bring up a good topic. Now to clarify, I’m not insinuating that you’re saying this, but there seems to be a prevailing opinion that as one moves further away from a cultural and financial hub (Miami in this case) that the housing costs should go down.

Typically I would say this is the case, but Southeast Florida is unique in that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most populous counties in the state comprise Southeast Florida (Also Monroe County should be honorably mentioned) and the northernmost city in Palm Beach County (Jupiter) and the southernmost city in Miami-Dade are only 121 miles away…in other words the entire metro is connected and is one of the longest urbanized areas in the country.

With all this said, the reason the prices don’t drop off going north of Fort Lauderdale is that there are three main downtowns and three international airports in South Florida and it’s all connected by Brightline and Tri-Rail and of course less than 65 miles of driving (typically). Anyone living in WPB could live in Miami and vise versa - money isn’t the factor preventing that. Lifestyle, family, job etc are typically the real factors.
North of Palm Beach county you have downtown Stuart and downtown Jensen Beach but they aren't cheap either.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:38 AM

635 posts, read 405,926 times
Agreed. There was a time we’d tell priced out Palm Beach County residents to move to the Treasure Coast because it’s so much cheaper and fairly close enough to commute to WPB for work…even that is no longer true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
North of Palm Beach county you have downtown Stuart and downtown Jensen Beach but they aren't cheap either.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:23 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Downtown anywhere is never going to = cheap unless you are thinking Detroit

Old 08-11-2022, 12:26 AM

I am in fact looking in either SE FL and even Tampa Bay Area
Thank you both and you too for taking the time to do the research
I'll consider also sort of "urban living" neighborhoods if not downtown area
Something like Lakewood Ranch in Bradenton or the SW 17 St area in Harbordale Ft Lauderdale with a mall nearby and stores here and there, so that I don't have to drive if I can avoid it. I understand public transportation is just ok

Old 08-16-2022, 04:31 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
I am in fact looking in either SE FL and even Tampa Bay Area
SW 17 St area in Harbordale Ft Lauderdale with a mall nearby and stores here and there, so that I don't have to drive if I can avoid it. I understand public transportation is just ok
Harbordale is either going to be stupid expensive or a dumpy studio apartment.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:31 PM

So I maybe priced out of downtown Ft Lauderdale,,,

Any other areas other than downtown that may offer even a limited urban lifestyle?

Condos, townhouses in a neighborhood near a big mall perhaps?
I travelled by bus from downtown up to Coral Ridge last winter and I was left with the impression that if you live anywhere near US 1 you would have access to food shopping, pharmacy, stores, banks. I also thought that living near US 1, or Broward blvd, or Sunrise Blvd, would get you access to buses to travel to downtown or the beach, eliminating the need to get on your car to get to anywhere

I love the city
I want to make it work, hopefully for less than 2K for 1 medium/large (850 pls sq ft) 1 bd apt at least

Any advise on neighborhoods that might offer that convenience of apartment, townhouses living and relatively close to everyday shopping and public transportation is highly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area