Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,922 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for affordable places to live in Broward county or Dade since I'm moving from other state by next year. Still looking scouting for affordable places where there's no crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 04:49 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Unfortunately, that doesn’t exist in South Florida. If it’s affordable, it’s affordable for a reason generally.

What’s your budget and what do you wish to get for that budget?

Old 06-08-2022, 05:36 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldotherocky View Post
I've been looking for affordable places to live in Broward county or Dade since I'm moving from other state by next year. Still looking scouting for affordable places where there's no crime.
Stop............can't use "affordable places" and "no crime" in Broward or Dade.

Its like saying I will only live in a place with rainbows and unicorns every day.

Even the wealthiest neighborhoods get spillover crime, it just goes with the territory.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:19 AM

278 posts, read 316,804 times
Don’t think that exists anywhere in south Florida. Even in the nicest areas there will be some level of crime.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Where in the US is there not crime though? Even where I'm @ (Nassau County NY - supposedly the 'safest' county in America) has crime ...

Also, I didn't really find Ft Lauderdale as affordable as I thought it would be. Just started looking for a potential move as well maybe in a year and I was surprised @ the prices ... might as well stay on LI for what i'd pay there.

I guess you're paying for the weather & beaches?

Old 06-11-2022, 04:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Also, I didn't really find Ft Lauderdale as affordable as I thought it would be. Just started looking for a potential move as well maybe in a year and I was surprised @ the prices ... might as well stay on LI for what i'd pay there.

Ft. Lauderdale is part of the Gold Coast. Prices here are higher than most of my home state of CT which formerly was noted for having some of the highest real estate prices. Ironically that is no longer the case outside of CT's own Gold Coast region. CT has seen a recent influx of especially NYers taking advantage of more affordable home prices (property taxes not withstanding), good schools and lower crime.

When it comes to weather and beaches (and things to do), Ft. Lauderdale is hard to beat if it fits your budget and lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:48 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where in the US is there not crime though? Even where I'm @ (Nassau County NY - supposedly the 'safest' county in America) has crime ...

Like Lincolnian, we also moved to South FL from CT and found the prices here to be higher than in CT. There (especially Nassau), you’re paying for access to NYC. Here, you’re paying for lifestyle (though generally the closer you get to Miami, the more you pay).

While RE prices may be similar (or more than) Long Island and Connecticut, keep in mind you don’t have to pay car taxes (CT), utilities are reasonable (especially in winter months) and there’s no income tax should you homestead here and claim residency. Big savings.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:36 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
There is crime everywhere nowadays. We recently moved from another state where we had a trailer and would go back and forth to a condo here in South Florida, Broward County. We inherited the condo. If I had a choice I would never live here. Looking back, I'd settle for cold weather in a better environment, but crime is everywhere. Our bank account was hacked into here and the thief got away with over $1,000. I filed a report with the police (the bank is denying my request for reimbursement and I'm going through a lot), but will continue with police and bank to contest the action. Someone picked up a lost ATM card and we didn't know we lost it, and now got over $1,000 from the account. We took measures to stop the card, BUT -- One of our friends said when I told him what was happening: "Welcome to south Florida." It was different 30 years ago, but now the influx of people with children that like to commit crime and sell drugs and steal is beyond control.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Like Lincolnian, we also moved to South FL from CT and found the prices here to be higher than in CT. There (especially Nassau), you’re paying for access to NYC. Here, you’re paying for lifestyle (though generally the closer you get to Miami, the more you pay).

While RE prices may be similar (or more than) Long Island and Connecticut, keep in mind you don’t have to pay car taxes (CT), utilities are reasonable (especially in winter months) and there’s no income tax should you homestead here and claim residency. Big savings.
Thank you. I was always told Florida has cheap living and as I started to look for apartments in Fort Lauderdale I started seeing that that is not true for that area. I am intrigued by Fort Lauderdale because it has the Miami lifestyle and vibes but it is more of an equal distribution of diversity. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with Hispanics but I want to live in a more diverse area where it is not so much 80% of one group & 20% of the rest of the groups… I’d like a more equal dispersion.

SFL intrigues me as recently as ive taking up a liking the outdoors more & more. It gets pretty cold here lol. I do love CT though. It’s prob one of the more beautiful states I’ve been to

Old 06-18-2022, 04:07 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
There is crime everywhere nowadays. We recently moved from another state where we had a trailer and would go back and forth to a condo here in South Florida, Broward County. We inherited the condo. If I had a choice I would never live here. Looking back, I'd settle for cold weather in a better environment, but crime is everywhere. Our bank account was hacked into here and the thief got away with over $1,000. I filed a report with the police (the bank is denying my request for reimbursement and I'm going through a lot), but will continue with police and bank to contest the action. Someone picked up a lost ATM card and we didn't know we lost it, and now got over $1,000 from the account. We took measures to stop the card, BUT -- One of our friends said when I told him what was happening: "Welcome to south Florida." It was different 30 years ago, but now the influx of people with children that like to commit crime and sell drugs and steal is beyond control.
Wait a minute, someone got you for $1000 in your checking account AND got your ATM for $1000? Doesn't an ATM need a PIN number? Did you write the PIN on the card in magic marker too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area