Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your responses, let’s please not all fight and argue or obsessed about any community.

I was just trying to compare different suburbs, commute time and local population to make informed life decision.
We’re leaving our settled life and family for greener (literally) grass so little nervous, don’t want to rush and also not to miss.

Lets spread joy, love and help fellow south Floridian and fellow human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 09:25 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer4all View Post
Thank you all for your responses, let’s please not all fight and argue or obsessed about any community.

I was just trying to compare different suburbs, commute time and local population to make informed life decision.
We’re leaving our settled life and family for greener (literally) grass so little nervous, don’t want to rush and also not to miss.

Agree, best of luck in your decision!

Old 05-28-2022, 11:42 AM

278 posts, read 316,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do keep in mind that you don’t have to be a “resident” of a city to know the driving time to and from that city. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

There are express lanes, yes, but they matter none when there isn’t traffic in the normal travel lanes. An example of that is today, at 937 hours on a Saturday morning, where Google maps show the mileage and travel time from central Weston to downtown FTL at 24 miles and 32 minutes.

Statistically, to go 24 miles in the 15 minutes you say it takes in the express lanes, one would have to travel an average of 96 mph, door to door, for the duration of the trip. Unless you’re hitting 120 mph on the 595 express lanes, 15 minutes ain’t happening - ever.

Demographics in terms of racial or ethnic makeup isn’t my area of expertise; though I can’t say I’ve heard anyone suggest Weston to be an area of a significant Indian population except in this thread, and don’t believe the percentages in the above links show it to be.

As for the OP, even if Weston doesn’t have a large Indian population, it’s still below your commute requirements to Fort Lauderdale (which you put at 45 minutes); it’ll be well below that. I’d highly recommend you consider the city.
First, thanks for choosing the absolute farthest distance in Weston to navigate from. From door to door you could be anywhere from 16 miles to 25 miles ( I even rounded up for arguments sake) away from downtown fort Lauderdale in Weston.

So based on pure math ( I'll even provide a link) if you were going 65 mph you would get to fort Lauderdale anywhere from 14m:46sec to 23m:5sec.

Feel free to use the basic speed distance time calculator below to check.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

Before you respond by completely ignoring the basics of speed and time equation, please take a second to actually plug in different addresses in Weston and see your distances for yourself.

Also the fact that you dont "believe" what's stated in the US census website... I mean come on lol. I can't even have a discussion with someone whose base for argument is on a feeling or belief instead of objective, up to date statistics.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer4all View Post

Absolutely agree OP. It's such a big decision to uproot a family to a new place. For the most part, these subs are very friendly and informative.

I would also suggest joining the town Facebook groups for coral springs, Pembroke pines, Weston, parkland etc... They are very informative as well and can provide great insight.

Good luck with your decision and if you need any help, these boards will be here!

Edit: also for reference. My wife and I went to school in Miami. Most of our friends are Indian and many of them grew up in Davie and Weston. Some in Tampa as well. A large group of them moved to Chicago after college for grad and med school.

So we are pretty familiar with the Indian population here in Broward.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:02 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
First, thanks for choosing the absolute farthest distance in Weston to navigate from. From door to door you could be anywhere from 16 miles to 25 miles ( I even rounded up for arguments sake) away from downtown fort Lauderdale in Weston.

So based on pure math ( I'll even provide a link) if you were going 65 mph you would get to fort Lauderdale anywhere from 14m:46sec to 23m:5sec.

Feel free to use the basic speed distance time calculator below to check.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcu...calculator.php

Before you respond by completely ignoring the basics of speed and time equation, please take a second to actually plug in different addresses in Weston and see your distances for yourself.

Also the fact that you dont "believe" what's stated in the US census website... I mean come on lol. I can't even have a discussion with someone whose base for argument is on a feeling or belief instead of objective, up to date statistics.
Actually, the distance was from central Weston, to downtown - not the “absolute farthest distance in Weston”. The quickest would be Bonaventure Club in extreme northeast Weston, which would be 25 minutes and 19 miles.

You do realize your “65 mph” assertion would literally mean door to door, and would be statistically impossible, right? It’s not just 65 mph on 595, it’s 65 mph from start to finish. That is scientifically impossible.

You can try to argue your 14 minute Weston to Fort Lauderdale commute all day long, but sorry, you’re not fooling anyone.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, the distance was from central Weston, to downtown - not the “absolute farthest distance in Weston”. The quickest would be Bonaventure Club in extreme northeast Weston, which would be 25 minutes and 19 miles.

You do realize your “65 mph” assertion would literally mean door to door, and would be statistically impossible, right? It’s not just 65 mph on 595, it’s 65 mph from start to finish. That is scientifically impossible.

You can try to argue your 14 minute Weston to Fort Lauderdale commute all day long, but sorry, you’re not fooling anyone.
Honestly not even worth a response, as you are not helping the OP in any way. Time to put the phone down.

OP good luck on your decision!

Old 06-09-2022, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,745 times
We made the opposite move (Weston to a suburb of Chicago) last summer. Here are some things to consider (if you haven’t already made up your mind):
1. You will likely need to live in a gated community if you want to send your kids to a decent public school in Broward County (I say that as a former teacher in Broward). In addition to the quarterly HOA fees, be prepared to spend a lot on special assessments (new park or gate house). Also, be prepared to pay to replace/repair your own sidewalk.
2. The homeowners insurance, etc is expensive and it’s stressful to find it.
3. There isn’t much of a difference in the property taxes you’ll pay in Cook County versus Broward.
4. Global warming—Chicago is the better place to be long term.

I personally love weather that changes but I can understand the appeal of Ft. Lauderdale’s weather to someone who feels at home in constant warmth. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area