Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 05:52 PM

37 posts, read 36,942 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am deciding which city I would like to live in. I just found this forum and people seem to be really knowledgable and helpful, so I figured I would give this a shot.

I currently live in NYC, and my job has been made remote. So I can live anywhere in in the Eastern and Central timezones. I currently make about 400k , I'm single, 36 male. My cultural background is middle Eastern, and lean conservative politically. Despite having some family close by, I'm sick of the long winters, high taxes and its just gone too "woke" for me (not judging you if you are, its just not for me). I also do not trust the government to not lockdown again.

I'm looking to meet friends, women, and be active and enjoy life. I'm not a crazy partier, I'm into lifting weights, tennis, and living a healthy lifestyle.

Is Fort Lauderdale good for me? I visited in March for a few days, it seemed clean, I liked the Las Olas area and the beach was a chill vibe. At night there were a lot of spring breakers, which of course wouldn't be there year round. I also visited Miami - I didnt love south beach, but midtown/wynwood seemed cool.

Is there a good scene for people like me?
Attractive women?
Guys my age to make friends with?
Does it ever get boring?
Is 400k enough to live a good lifestyle?
Can you meet genuine people with good values?

I should also mention that I am considering Nashville as well, because it is a no tax state, and unlikely to go back to lockdowns.

Thank you everyone and please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 06:21 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
You are in a very good position. I live in Fl but just pass through Ft. Lauderdale on my way to the cruise port. Too congested for me but could have just the activities you are looking for. I would pick Nashville but have not been there in years.

Thus what I would do is rent for a year in Ft Lauderdale and then a year in Nashville if you want to move.

Pay attention to hurricanes and the flooding that may come to the area you pick. I live inland and hurricanes are not a problem although we have been without electric for a few days.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You are in a very good position. I live in Fl but just pass through Ft. Lauderdale on my way to the cruise port. Too congested for me but could have just the activities you are looking for. I would pick Nashville but have not been there in years.

Thus what I would do is rent for a year in Ft Lauderdale and then a year in Nashville if you want to move.

Pay attention to hurricanes and the flooding that may come to the area you pick. I live inland and hurricanes are not a problem although we have been without electric for a few days.

thank you for your comment

Could I ask you why you would pick Nashville? Obviously it wouldn't be near the beach but its substantially less expensive.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:42 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Hi nepats -

I made the move from MD to Hollywood in February 2020, right before the pandemic hit. Hollywood is a smaller town south of Fort Lauderdale, about ten minutes south.

It was the best decision of my life. South Florida is fantastic. Like you, I am conservative and have had no problems making friends or fitting in, even though this area leans Democrat politically. I now live in West Palm Beach, which isn't as big as Fort Lauderdale or Miami and a little more conservative (I think).

You won't know if it's right for you until you do it. I, too, considered relocating to Nashville (among other places) when I realized I didn't want to live in Baltimore anymore. I am thankful things turned out the way they did.

To answer your specific questions: no, it never gets boring. Yes, the women are hot. If you want to make friends it's not too hard as long as you're fun. If you're a drinker I'll hit happy hour with you after you move. Still making new friends myself.

You have the luxury of an income that will allow you to live in the good areas of South Florida, which are getting more and more expensive with all of the transplants. I would do it if I were you, but good luck no matter what you decide.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Hi nepats -

I made the move from MD to Hollywood in February 2020, right before the pandemic hit. Hollywood is a smaller town south of Fort Lauderdale, about ten minutes south.

It was the best decision of my life. South Florida is fantastic. Like you, I am conservative and have had no problems making friends or fitting in, even though this area leans Democrat politically. I now live in West Palm Beach, which isn't as big as Fort Lauderdale or Miami and a little more conservative (I think).

You won't know if it's right for you until you do it. I, too, considered relocating to Nashville (among other places) when I realized I didn't want to live in Baltimore anymore. I am thankful things turned out the way they did.

To answer your specific questions: no, it never gets boring. Yes, the women are hot. If you want to make friends it's not too hard as long as you're fun. If you're a drinker I'll hit happy hour with you after you move. Still making new friends myself.

You have the luxury of an income that will allow you to live in the good areas of South Florida, which are getting more and more expensive with all of the transplants. I would do it if I were you, but good luck no matter what you decide.
Thank you for your response. This is super helpful.

It's hard to get a sense of what the actual move will be like. I love the warm weather, and who doesn't love the beach? I have spent all my life in the northeast - Boston/NYC. I hear much more negative things than positive things when I talk to people about moving to South Florida, but I guess you have to take that with a grain of salt. Everyone is looking for different things.

Can I ask you what made you decide on South Florida over Nashville and the other places you considered? What made it such a good decision for you?

I have to admit - I really admire the Governor of Florida and the things he has done. In NYC it feels like the government hates its citizens.

And yes if I move, yes to happy hour.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:56 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I relocated from Connecticut several years ago, but to the West Palm area just north of Fort Lauderdale. You won’t be alone. People from greater NYC/NJ/CT and even CA have been moving here in droves. Traffic has gotten intense.

My advice? Do it. It’s an amazing lifestyle, and as the previous poster mentioned, you’ll live in the nice areas of FLL. And with your income, you’ll be amongst more similarly high earners in FLL, while you’ll be close to top dog in Nashville.

Nashville is a cool city but not as exotic and tropical as South Florida. You may get bored in TN. You won’t in SFL.

Old 04-15-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I relocated from Connecticut several years ago, but to the West Palm area just north of Fort Lauderdale.

My advice? Do it. It’s an amazing lifestyle, and as the previous poster mentioned, you’ll live in the nice areas of FLL.

Nashville is a cool city but not as exotic and tropical as South Florida. You may get bored in TN. You won’t in SFL.
How did your lifestyle change coming from CT to South Florida?

Did your mood/happiness go up significantly because of the better weather/sun? I think SoFlo gets about 40 more sunny days a year than Hartford.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:18 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
How did your lifestyle change coming from CT to South Florida?

Did your mood/happiness go up significantly because of the better weather/sun? I think SoFlo gets about 40 more sunny days a year than Hartford.
We are now avid boaters, living adjacent to the intracoastal waterway, as opposed to having to drive 45 minutes to a marina in CT. We are healthier physically - less cold and ashy skin in the winter and more outdoor physical activities (sun is stronger, so wear sunscreen). People here are happier and proud of where they live (even though most are transplants).

One thing to note - the drivers here are purely insane. We lived just outside of NYC and I find the drivers here to be absolutely insane. The one negative, I suppose.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:09 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
thank you for your comment

Could I ask you why you would pick Nashville? Obviously it wouldn't be near the beach but its substantially less expensive.
Country music scene. More a big negative to Lauderdale but as I mentioned I only pass through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area