Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2022, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,588 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a young couple in our mid thirties, moving to Weston. We are looking at homes to buy in Weston hills and have a few questions.

1. What is the age group of this neighborhood. Are neighbors generally friendlier and like to socialize ?
2. Is the HOA as scary as it sounds with respect to rules. We don't want to change the front yard or the structure of the house but want to install a summer kitchen and plant fruit trees in the backyard.
3. Any caveats with having a golf course view ? (assuming that the teeing ground and walk path are not adjacent to the backyard)
4. Things to look for in homes that are built prior to 2002 ? between 1995-2000 (Apologies for the loaded question)
5. We are moving from west coast and are used to getting 1-1.5% buyer rebate back from the realtor commission. Is it common here ? (Skip this question if inappropriate)
6. What are the entertainment options close by , without the need to travel to Las Olas? (We have been to Cinemark in Davie so far). Restaurant recommendations ?

So far we love it here in So Florida. Great weather, food, beaches, lush landscape, minimum 3-4 hours of pleasant outdoors time per day, friendly people(except on I-95 ). Thanks again to all the members of this forum who helps new transplants like us everyday.

Last edited by SoupSnakes; 04-03-2022 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 09:07 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
We moved from Weston about 6 years ago, but still stay in the area when I need to visit clients throughout the year. We are much older than you but did live there for 20 years so I can give you some information.

1. We lived in North Lakes, not Weston Hills, but we liked our neighbors. We were a bit of the odd ones as most everyone else around us had kids, and we didn’t. One night, our immediate neighbors had a small get-together in the cul-de-sac and one of the kids knocked on our door and invited our dog to join them (!). We came out with the dog and our neighbors looked a bit embarrassed, but we weren’t. Everyone had kids, we didn’t, and I think they didn’t know if we’d have anything in common. We still joke to this day that our dog was invited to the block party but we weren’t!

Fast forward 20 years later and all those neighbors but one moved on, sadly mostly due to divorce. At any rate, the composition of your neighbors can and will change over time. If I were single and bought a SFH in Weston, I think it could be a lonely town. It’s definitely designed for families.

2. Each HOA is going to be governed a tad differently, depending on who’s on the board and their involvement. If you’ve got a bunch of busy-bodies, expect more scrutiny, although I suspect what you build in the backyard is your own business. However, just to be sure, you should get a copy of the HOA documents before you purchase. Might be able to find them online.

We did some landscaping to the front yard without HOA approval and got away with it. We moved a tree from the front to the backyard, and cut down two others after one was struck by lightning. Never heard a peep from the HOA.

3. I don’t know what a realtor can tell you about future development but I would be careful about buying a home with a golf course view practically anywhere in South Florida. Families nowadays don’t participate in the time-consuming sport. The declining lack of interest, coupled with no spare land to build on, have made golf courses prime targets for development. For example, in the Bonaventure section of Weston, one course was bulldozed to make room for very high-end homes. If you google about the Weston Hills course, there’s been proposals to do something similar (which was rejected by the city for now). I haven’t heard of anything new, but if it were me, I’d be wondering how protected is my golf course view.

4. Polybutylene pipes can be a concern. They become brittle and break. Building codes got a lot stricter after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and homes built after the late 1990’s, early 2000’s are built to the stronger codes. Most of Weston was built by Arvida (owned by Disney at the time) and the construction is fine, but watch the age of the roofs. Some insurance companies aren’t insuring homes if the roof is beyond a certain age—I’m hearing 15 years.

5. No such practice existed when we bought our home, but that was more than 20 years ago. I’ve never heard of such a thing to be honest.

6. Weston has regular entertainment in the Town Center. Google Weston Town Center and check out the events section. Weston also hosts movie nights and other entertainment at the regional park. Saw Wet Willie and The Charlie Daniels Band.

Our favorite restaurants: Flanigan’s (ribs and seafood), Angelo Pizza Bar, Chillin’s (ice cream), Cheese Course (sandwiches) and since you mentioned Davie, Char Hut (burgers).

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2022, 10:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
#5 is illegal in Florida. A realtor can lose their license for this.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:19 AM

30 posts, read 56,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Since when? I used to do it on every single purchase I made. It wasn't even taxable. The only downside is you get a credit on the Closing Statement thus bringing down the basis cost of the property, so in a sense it was still being taxed.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:54 PM

278 posts, read 316,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupSnakes View Post
Hello,

We are a young couple in our mid thirties, moving to Weston. We are looking at homes to buy in Weston hills and have a few questions.

1. What is the age group of this neighborhood. Are neighbors generally friendlier and like to socialize ?
2. Is the HOA as scary as it sounds with respect to rules. We don't want to change the front yard or the structure of the house but want to install a summer kitchen and plant fruit trees in the backyard.
3. Any caveats with having a golf course view ? (assuming that the teeing ground and walk path are not adjacent to the backyard)
4. Things to look for in homes that are built prior to 2002 ? between 1995-2000 (Apologies for the loaded question)
5. We are moving from west coast and are used to getting 1-1.5% buyer rebate back from the realtor commission. Is it common here ? (Skip this question if inappropriate)
6. What are the entertainment options close by , without the need to travel to Las Olas? (We have been to Cinemark in Davie so far). Restaurant recommendations ?

So far we love it here in So Florida. Great weather, food, beaches, lush landscape, minimum 3-4 hours of pleasant outdoors time per day, friendly people(except on I-95 ). Thanks again to all the members of this forum who helps new transplants like us everyday.
First off welcome to one of the best communities in Florida. Some answers to your questions:

1. I live in the Weston hills community area. Age is predominantly mid to late 30s to 40s with children ranging in all ages. Of course there are slightly older residents as well.

2. Our HOA is separate from the hills proper, but in general as long as notice is given, they are pretty accommodating. Honestly don't see them having an issue with what you want to do. We also plan on building a built in grill and kitchen, and they have already approved our plan

3. We have golf and lake views as well. No real caveats other than the typical situations ie. Stray balls, watching for carts etc.. If your house does not come with impact windows, may be something to consider. We have impact and don't have to worry about balls coming through the windows.

With regard to the comment about how protected the golf course is...it's extremely well protected. The communities of weston hired a team of lawyers and fought to stop the development of an over 55 complex on the current driving range. As you probably surmised, Weston has a lot of pull due to it's residents and stature, so once it was known the residents would not agree to the development, it quickly went south for the developer due to the pressure. Because of the outrage, the original owners of the course ( course was run by separate party from original owners) took back control of the course, added the hills to their unique portfolio, investing huge sums to revamp the course. There will not be any new developments for the foreseeable future.

4. Check roof age and condition. This is a must. Don't want to get stuck with a 30-50k bill from the jump.

5. Sorry not familiar with this in Florida but others may be able to answer!

6. Definitely check out shops at Pembroke lakes, great little shops and restaurants. Sawgrass Mills is huge with lots of restaurants both within the mall and along the outside.

What's your preference for cuisine? That will help with restaurant recommendations. Since Weston hills is directly across from town center, you have a couple restaurants pretty close by, including grazianos, la rural, cheese course, Duffy's for sports grill etc.. We often walk over for quick bites.

Some of our favorites: Aquolina, sovereign, 95pho, baires( great outdoor seating), Lucille's, Zona blu, Zabb Thai and sushi, Tom Jenkins ( amazing bbq), Fresh first, Fresh kitchen, Boathouse...I know I'm missing a few great ones.

Also I highly recommend getting the social membership at the club @ Weston hills. They have great brunches on the weekend, fun activities for couples and family's ( egg hunt, trivia nights, dance classes,. Kids movie night etc), great restaurant, bar for sporting events.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Last edited by pierrekid; 04-04-2022 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Not sure if that is true. According to Florida Kickbacks or Rebates rule , a broker can give a broker incentive to any buyer as long as the proper disclosures are used.

Quote:

61J2-10.028 Kickbacks or Rebates. (1) Any real estate licensee who receives, or makes any arrangement or agreement to receive, directly or indirectly, any kickback or rebate, for the placement of, or favor in, any business transaction which forms a part of, or is incident to, any transaction(s) negotiated or handled by said licensee, is a violation of Section 475.25(1)(b) or (d), Florida Statutes, or both of said subsections of the Florida Statutes, unless prior to the time of the placement of, or favor in, said business transaction, the licensee shall have fully advised the principal if any and all affected parties in the transaction(s), which the licensee is handling, of all facts pertaining to the arrangement of kickbacks or rebates. (2) The sharing of brokerage compensation by a licensee with a party to the real estate transaction with full disclosure to all interested parties is not considered a violation of Chapter 475, Part I, Florida Statutes.

Examples of realtors who does this: https://prestigioushomes.net/buyers.htm

Old 04-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
We moved from Weston about 6 years ago, but still stay in the area when I need to visit clients throughout the year. We are much older than you but did live there for 20 years so I can give you some information.

1. We lived in North Lakes, not Weston Hills, but we liked our neighbors. We were a bit of the odd ones as most everyone else around us had kids, and we didn’t. One night, our immediate neighbors had a small get-together in the cul-de-sac and one of the kids knocked on our door and invited our dog to join them (!). We came out with the dog and our neighbors looked a bit embarrassed, but we weren’t. Everyone had kids, we didn’t, and I think they didn’t know if we’d have anything in common. We still joke to this day that our dog was invited to the block party but we weren’t!

Fast forward 20 years later and all those neighbors but one moved on, sadly mostly due to divorce. At any rate, the composition of your neighbors can and will change over time. If I were single and bought a SFH in Weston, I think it could be a lonely town. It’s definitely designed for families.

2. Each HOA is going to be governed a tad differently, depending on who’s on the board and their involvement. If you’ve got a bunch of busy-bodies, expect more scrutiny, although I suspect what you build in the backyard is your own business. However, just to be sure, you should get a copy of the HOA documents before you purchase. Might be able to find them online.

We did some landscaping to the front yard without HOA approval and got away with it. We moved a tree from the front to the backyard, and cut down two others after one was struck by lightning. Never heard a peep from the HOA.

3. I don’t know what a realtor can tell you about future development but I would be careful about buying a home with a golf course view practically anywhere in South Florida. Families nowadays don’t participate in the time-consuming sport. The declining lack of interest, coupled with no spare land to build on, have made golf courses prime targets for development. For example, in the Bonaventure section of Weston, one course was bulldozed to make room for very high-end homes. If you google about the Weston Hills course, there’s been proposals to do something similar (which was rejected by the city for now). I haven’t heard of anything new, but if it were me, I’d be wondering how protected is my golf course view.

4. Polybutylene pipes can be a concern. They become brittle and break. Building codes got a lot stricter after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and homes built after the late 1990’s, early 2000’s are built to the stronger codes. Most of Weston was built by Arvida (owned by Disney at the time) and the construction is fine, but watch the age of the roofs. Some insurance companies aren’t insuring homes if the roof is beyond a certain age—I’m hearing 15 years.

5. No such practice existed when we bought our home, but that was more than 20 years ago. I’ve never heard of such a thing to be honest.

6. Weston has regular entertainment in the Town Center. Google Weston Town Center and check out the events section. Weston also hosts movie nights and other entertainment at the regional park. Saw Wet Willie and The Charlie Daniels Band.

Our favorite restaurants: Flanigan’s (ribs and seafood), Angelo Pizza Bar, Chillin’s (ice cream), Cheese Course (sandwiches) and since you mentioned Davie, Char Hut (burgers).

Good luck!

Thanks for the elaborate response wizrap. Thanks for the tip on developments happening on golf courses. Will keep that in mind before paying a premium. Polybutylene pipes might be relevant as some of the houses built here are old.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
First off welcome to one of the best communities in Florida. Some answers to your questions:

1. I live in the Weston hills community area. Age is predominantly mid to late 30s to 40s with children ranging in all ages. Of course there are slightly older residents as well.

2. Our HOA is separate from the hills proper, but in general as long as notice is given, they are pretty accommodating. Honestly don't see them having an issue with what you want to do. We also plan on building a built in grill and kitchen, and they have already approved our plan

3. We have golf and lake views as well. No real caveats other than the typical situations ie. Stray balls, watching for carts etc.. If your house does not come with impact windows, may be something to consider. We have impact and don't have to worry about balls coming through the windows.

With regard to the comment about how protected the golf course is...it's extremely well protected. The communities of weston hired a team of lawyers and fought to stop the development of an over 55 complex on the current driving range. As you probably surmised, Weston has a lot of pull due to it's residents and stature, so once it was known the residents would not agree to the development, it quickly went south for the developer due to the pressure. Because of the outrage, the original owners of the course ( course was run by separate party from original owners) took back control of the course, added the hills to their unique portfolio, investing huge sums to revamp the course. There will not be any new developments for the foreseeable future.

4. Check roof age and condition. This is a must. Don't want to get stuck with a 30-50k bill from the jump.

5. Sorry not familiar with this in Florida but others may be able to answer!

6. Definitely check out shops at Pembroke lakes, great little shops and restaurants. Sawgrass Mills is huge with lots of restaurants both within the mall and along the outside.

What's your preference for cuisine? That will help with restaurant recommendations. Since Weston hills is directly across from town center, you have a couple restaurants pretty close by, including grazianos, la rural, cheese course, Duffy's for sports grill etc.. We often walk over for quick bites.

Some of our favorites: Aquolina, sovereign, 95pho, baires( great outdoor seating), Lucille's, Zona blu, Zabb Thai and sushi, Tom Jenkins ( amazing bbq), Fresh first, Fresh kitchen, Boathouse...I know I'm missing a few great ones.

Also I highly recommend getting the social membership at the club @ Weston hills. They have great brunches on the weekend, fun activities for couples and family's ( egg hunt, trivia nights, dance classes,. Kids movie night etc), great restaurant, bar for sporting events.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Very helpful to get this information from an existing resident. I have stumbled on your posts before that gave me perspective on Weston and Broward in general. So thanks again.

3. That is reassuring and yes i did go through some articles about this.

4. Sure. But most of the houses do have original roof that is 20-27 years old. Maybe we can negotiate on the price for homes with original roofs.

6. Thanks for the recommendations. Me and my wife like to try different cuisines but majorly end up with Thai/Japanese/Mexican/Cajun/Italian(if feeling fancy). We tried Zabb Thai and Sushi so far and loved the food, staff and atmosphere. So that gives me more confidence to try out others from your list.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:30 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Redfin promotes it on their website!

Buyers get money back with the Redfin RefundWhen you buy with a Redfin Agent, we’ll give part of our commission, $1,500 USD on average, to you

Old 04-05-2022, 12:07 PM

278 posts, read 316,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupSnakes View Post
Very helpful to get this information from an existing resident. I have stumbled on your posts before that gave me perspective on Weston and Broward in general. So thanks again.

3. That is reassuring and yes i did go through some articles about this.

4. Sure. But most of the houses do have original roof that is 20-27 years old. Maybe we can negotiate on the price for homes with original roofs.

6. Thanks for the recommendations. Me and my wife like to try different cuisines but majorly end up with Thai/Japanese/Mexican/Cajun/Italian(if feeling fancy). We tried Zabb Thai and Sushi so far and loved the food, staff and atmosphere. So that gives me more confidence to try out others from your list.
Absolutely glad I could help! There are alot of residents on this board, so I'm sure there will be a few more replies.

I also highly recommend joining the Weston, Florida Facebook group. They were such a massive help with regard to moving here and things to look out for. They also have over 13k members in the group and are very active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area