Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

My mom is getting older and I can't seem to handle the wave of all the things to do around the house while still being effective at my job. I can pay someone to do it so I can get back to work and still be able to manage but it seems like more and more my time is the limiting resource and not the other stuff. When I have to fix stuff it usually goes like this: Research Online > Try Something > Doesn't work > Research again > Try it again but better > It works. Its great to be able to fix things but sometimes it helps to just have an extra pair of hands when you can't micromanage each problem to adnoseum to fix it properly. So its really weird to me that into my adult life I have no idea how to get a good price on someone who is decent enough to get the job done.

Whenever I call services and get them to come out its always a gas fee or quote run or whatever just to get them to come out and then they charge standard rates by the job and not really by the amount of hours they spend (minus the initial coming out fee).

I thought it would be easier than this. Like I have some work to do, ask if the person can do it - they say yes/no/will try. Charge me an hourly rate for their time. Now it seems they just ask top dollar regardless of the job and its based off of some table their office setup that covers everything.

Honestly, if I can google it and I can fix it myself, all I need is extra pair of hands not "insurance and liability coverages say this and that and we have to do it this way" kind of attitude.

I know I can go to Craigslist to find an informal and simpler experience where we just talk about the problem but there is a lot of anonymity involved in Craigslist. I don't know how safe that is or is that just my incorrect assumption?

Anyways, if you guys have a leak behind the fridge, window doors that aren't completely sealing shut or need to maintain a hose faucet, what do you guys do to get the good honest people who are looking to exchange some labor for cash and do a good job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 07:47 AM

30 posts, read 56,321 times
Try Thumbtack. I have used it in the past with great results. You can also try Nextdoor.com.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,405 times
Just read this post because I am looking for some services in Fort Lauderdale. I live there. I have used guys from craigslist without any trouble. Painting, electrician. Yes, I am a little nervous now lately, but a few years ago I had no problem. You can also use a repair company (air conditioning, electrical, etc.) to service your a/c, refrigerator, plumbing problems. It's not cheap but you can research the yearly payments. Won't give you the names of the companies but they're there. I use one even though haven't needed anything for the past few months. If my refrigerator or toilet breaks, they'll come and fix it or replace it. My next step (I live in a condo) is to ask my neighbors for recommendations of guys that can help. I guess I am a little reluctant to do that, but I need to. A neighbor helped recently to take down a heavy chair for garbage pickup. I hope that helps. Ask around.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:52 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,067,711 times
Use next door people will recommend handyman that have worked out, or electricians, plumbers, etc. I always hire from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area