Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,709 times

Advertisements

Looking for a temporary apartment in a very safe area this summer. We need decent proximity to Broward College Central and FLL. We are coming from the Atlanta area.

We have a son who will graduate HS in May. He is on the Autism Spectrum but high functioning. He is not ready to go away to college yet and needs foreign language classes. From my research, the only community college to take these classes in person is at Broward Central. Palm Beach State doesn’t offer these in person I don’t think.

My husband just needs proximity to an airport to travel for business weekly or works from home. I’m a SAHM who loves to play tennis. Our goal is to purchase in Boca. We will be renting to make sure we find the right neighborhood, and I don’t think Boca will be a good Broward or FLL commute, but then the commute will only be to and from the airport once a week for my husband and for me to drive our son to classes 2 maybe 3 days a week for a few hours.

Since we can be anywhere, our main focus is an extremely safe area and walking distance to shopping/ restaurants. Our son has a permit but no license so he will have to get a job close by to walk or Uberto if I can’t drive him. He also likes to walk to eat and shop. He’s also a big soccer player so fields would be a plus but not a requirement.

I know Boca, Parkland and Weston are excellent areas and wouldn’t hesitate, but it looks like Davie and Plantation maybe Pembroke Pines might be better for us in the short term due to proximity. I don’t know anything about these areas and have heard mixed reviews. The University Dr area between the Fountains and Stirling has plenty to offer it seems and great proximity to what we need. There also seems to be a ton on Pines Blvd in PP. I’m just going by maps now. Are any of these areas good and plenty safe or should we just stick with an apt in Boca, Parkland or Weston for the year to be on the safe side, or is there something else we don’t know about. We are coming down in a couple weeks to check things out.

We haven’t rented an apartment since we were in college so we are a bit nervous. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM

30 posts, read 57,753 times
Very Safe Area in South Florida? I don't think so.....Good luck!

Old 12-03-2021, 11:38 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,238,808 times
Parkland and Weston have consistently ranked as the safest cities in Florida.

Weston will provide your son more opportunities to walk near shopping, especially if you rent near the Town Center area, in a more pedestrian-friendly setting.

The section behind The Fountains in Plantation is nice, but the traffic is awful, even on Pine Island Road. We used to live in Weston and I still visit the area to see clients. I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Place and the Laquita in the Fountains area and it’s fine and walkable, as there are sidewalks everywhere, but there’s a lot of cars and noise as the Broward Mall is right next to The Fountains.

We stay most of the times at the Courtyard in Weston in the office/commercial park area and it’s very peaceful. The sidewalks are far from the road, there’s a couple of strip shopping centers nearby (anchored by either a Publix or large restaurants) and it’s very well-manicured.

The Town Center area is even nicer—shops, restaurants, offices, another Publix, and lots of sidewalks for more peaceful walking.

Parkland is nice too but it doesn’t have a business core; it’s primarily residential so it doesn’t tick off the box that asks for being within walking distance of shopping and restaurants.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Parkland and Weston have consistently ranked as the safest cities in Florida.

Weston will provide your son more opportunities to walk near shopping, especially if you rent near the Town Center area, in a more pedestrian-friendly setting.

The section behind The Fountains in Plantation is nice, but the traffic is awful, even on Pine Island Road. We used to live in Weston and I still visit the area to see clients. I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Place and the Laquita in the Fountains area and it’s fine and walkable, as there are sidewalks everywhere, but there’s a lot of cars and noise as the Broward Mall is right next to The Fountains.

We stay most of the times at the Courtyard in Weston in the office/commercial park area and it’s very peaceful. The sidewalks are far from the road, there’s a couple of strip shopping centers nearby (anchored by either a Publix or large restaurants) and it’s very well-manicured.

The Town Center area is even nicer—shops, restaurants, offices, another Publix, and lots of sidewalks for more peaceful walking.

Parkland is nice too but it doesn’t have a business core; it’s primarily residential so it doesn’t tick off the box that asks for being within walking distance of shopping and restaurants.
Thank you so much for the detailed info and especially on Weston. We’ll give Weston a look first. We’ve heard great things about it. How is the traffic and commute on 595?

Old 12-03-2021, 08:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 3,238,808 times
When I am in town, I like to use Weston as a base because you are so close to I-595, I-75 and Sawgrass. During rush hour, it can be slow, but the express lanes on 595 are great if you need to get to the airport or the east side of town quickly. You need a Sunpass to use them. Those lanes are also a fast connector to I-95.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2021, 04:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
Another strong vote for Weston.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:09 PM

278 posts, read 318,388 times
I vote for Weston as well. As wizrap said, if you rent close to town center it checks alot of boxes. I live next to town center, and can confirm it's convenience for shopping, eating and walkable streets.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,851,349 times
+1 for Weston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area