Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 29,387 times

Advertisements

We are looking into leaving South Florida and move up to the North Atlanta Suburbs. Frankly, the crazy taxes, forever rising home owners insurance costs, and the overcrowded middle and high schools are driving us away. We'd also like some cooler weather throughout the year and the ability to drive a few hours for mountains. Lastly, working in the tech corporate world, we realize that South FL will never be a tech hub like Austin (lived there), Atlanta, DC area, and the Bay area.

Has anyone moved down here from North Atlanta Suburbs that can shed some light and help me compare the locations? We will have a 6th and 9th grader come next school year so that's top of mind for us, and I'd like to find schools that do not have over 2000 kids in it (huge concern for where we live now as our local HS is 3500+). Any experience with having schools implement and stick to a 504? Besides the Atlanta traffic, which I know is not great (but we have virtual jobs for the time being), what other things that only locals would know should I be looking at when considering our decision?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 07:55 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,221,257 times
I have a friend who moved from one of the west Broward burbs to Gwinnett County about 15 or so years ago and continues to this day to have no regrets.

The only big minus for her is the traffic. A smaller minus is there is still a fondness for the defeated Confederacy in some sections of the state, but that mindset is becoming scarcer as the years go by.

Her son was getting ready for middle school down here when they moved and she was nervous about the change. But it turned out great, later went to college up there and is a successful business executive. It was all good for her and her family. Good luck!

PS: COL was lower, along with housing prices, compared to SFLA back then. Now, not so much so be forewarned.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,708 times
We are doing just the opposite. For good schools, anything in the Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Milton area would be very good. East Cobb Walton High area is very good. Lambert High in South Forsyth is good but further North from Atlanta. Dunwoody is very nice but the schools are a mixed bag there unfortunately unless you are open to private. Schools above perform better than South FL. I’ve done my research. Our son is on an IEP, but he started here in K so we never had to worry about transferring an Ed Plan.

Atlanta North Metro Suburbs covers a very large area. Traffic is horrible so you need to choose based on location. Prices, Taxes and HOA and Country Club fees are less than South Florida even in the nicer areas here so that is a plus for you. I can tell you ATL will be also less pretentious and friendlier. What else are you looking for and budget? Feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: