Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 05:05 PM

13 posts, read 18,829 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if West Miramar is a good place to live for families? How is the safety & schools? I know East Miramar isn't great so wondering how separate they are. I have 4 kids. Any input on Marbella (any resales available or just new construction) or Sunset Lakes/Isles? What type of people there? What is daily life like? Looking to spend around 900K & be close to Miami for work but in a quieter family friendly suburb. Thx!

Last edited by 4lbrown; 11-07-2021 at 05:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 05:58 AM

13 posts, read 18,829 times
Also, specifically how is Everglades High school?

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 AM

30 posts, read 56,321 times
Personally I stay away from new developments. The reason being, lack of track record and you have no idea who your neighbors are going to be. I used to be in real estate and saw it time and time again were a new development would go downhill within a few years. It happened with east Miramar. What I personally do and used to recommend to buyers is to drive by the prospect neighborhood late afternoons/early evenings and on weekends, this will give you a feel of who your neighbors are going to be. Also, in my opinion the #1 thermometer for a community is you local supermarkets, going there on Friday night and on weekends will show you your future neighbors, if you don't like what you see, don't buy there. I know you are from out of the state so doing this may be difficult. What I ultimately recommend is renting for the first year, explore and familiarize yourself with the different areas and then buy.

I no longer live in South Florida, but a community that has a long track record, low crime and good elementary/middle schools is Miami Lakes, which is in NW Miami Dade County. My daughter currently lives there and I lived there for over 25 years, the downside is the properties are mostly older homes. Also, it is mostly upper middle class and upper class hispanics, so if you have a problem with being around hispanics, then it's not for you.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-08-2021, 10:59 AM

278 posts, read 316,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lbrown View Post
Also, specifically how is Everglades High school?
I don't have any experience with everglades, however if you are already looking at West Miramar and commuting to Miami, I would also look into West Pembroke pines, southwest ranches and especially Weston.

If you don't mind the extra 10-15 minutes on 75 north, I would absolutely consider Weston with that budget. Great schools and can get a decent 4-5 bedroom house.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:12 PM

64 posts, read 91,926 times
West Pembroke Pines, Southwest Ranches, Weston, Davie and Cooper City are better options than West Miramar.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:18 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TirantMartorell View Post
West Pembroke Pines, Southwest Ranches, Weston, Davie and Cooper City are better options than West Miramar.
Agree 100%

Old 11-30-2021, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,304 times
West Pembroke Pines & West Miramar are all one in the same. That zip code 33029 covers West Pembroke Pines & West Miramar. We moved here from Boston a few years ago. We rented for a couple of years before purchasing, we wanted to test the waters in different areas. My only regret was not purchasing sooner because the housing prices soared. This caused us to have to bid on houses which we were being outbid on numerous occasions, people are willing and able to pay more than the asking price. As far as new developments go, all these developments were once new developments. There’s nothing wrong with a new development everything is still under warranty. People are buying houses as is without inspections on houses more than 10 years old.

The demographics of this neighborhood has changed in my opinion. The neighborhood is more white, Indian, & Asian now. (That’s who I see walking their dogs and jogging) A lot of people from New York, California, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Massachusetts have moved in. My neighbor to my right is an attorney, to my left a physician, neighbor across the street owns several restaurants, and another a government official from another country just purchased for a vacation home. Law enforcement officers which is great also.

We lived in Weston, left because of the traffic, commuting to Miami from Weston everyday is a nightmare. The demographics in Weston has changed per my friend who has lived there for 20 years. She said Weston used to be 90 percent Jewish now it’s becoming more Hispanic. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) They just sold their house and moving to Northern Florida to retire.

Miami Lakes, no way, my mom lived there and left after 6 months. She’s a little lady from Boston didn’t feel comfortable in that environment. She bought a place in Villaggio Condos she really likes it. (Finally)

We looked in Coral Springs but we were outbid $80,000 over asking price. Coral Springs has a growing Hispanic population. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

My son graduated from Everglades High School and is attending UCF College of Medicine. He never had any issues at the school.

We ended up purchasing in Sunset Falls we paid $30,000 over asking price. It is a beautiful 5/4 more than 3,000 sqr feet on the huge part of the lake, I absolutely love it. Very tropical and beautiful! My advice is get with your realtor check out the developments and judge for yourself.

Grocery stores are Publix at Sunset Lakes, (I’m not a publix shopper) I’m a Whole Foods Shopper, Most people use instacart, but when I go to Whole Foods I always see at least one of my neighbors in there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area