Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 02:27 PM

143 posts, read 229,145 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are mid50’s - 60 yo couple interested in relocating to SE Florida. We don’t have friends/family there (yet) and wish to be in an area where people are welcoming into the community, and interested in making new friends. The Fort Lauderdale area, especially close to a beach, is a definite contender.

We both work from home (WFH) so commuting isn’t an issue. Proximity to synagogues, a bit of restaurants/shops, and soccer leagues for this age men are other factors. We love clean, modern architecture and our budget is 1.2 M w/o HOA, reducing depending on monthly HOA and insurance costs.

We just saw a great move in ready home in Hollywood, and could also do a condo provided we are allowed to have our 50lb pup.

We’d welcome your thoughts and suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Hollywood Beach is a great option though it doesn't have a whole lot on your list (soccer leagues, close to synagogues) but its a great place to live for all the other items.

East Ft Lauderdale near Las Olas is good, Victoria Park is a nice option (and might get a new construction townhome/home in that budget), or a little further north in Lauderdale by the Sea. The HOA won't drive up costs much at all in those areas. The more expensive HOAs are further West of I-95.

We're a bit younger than you but with your budget and WFH, we would choose Victoria Park/Las Olas area. Great restaurants, nice walk-ability, close to a great beach (albeit a busy one in season/spring break!), lots to do, and a not a dull place to live by any means.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
We're a bit younger than you but with your budget and WFH, we would choose Victoria Park/Las Olas area. Great restaurants, nice walk-ability, close to a great beach (albeit a busy one in season/spring break!), lots to do, and a not a dull place to live by any means.
Las Olas has one huge negative..............T R A F F I C ! ! !

I was there last week, middle of the day and it just crawls everywhere within 5 miles of there

Old 04-08-2021, 07:53 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Las Olas has one huge negative..............T R A F F I C ! ! !

I was there last week, middle of the day and it just crawls everywhere within 5 miles of there
Maybe between the Tunnel to Rocco's Tacos there is traffic, but that's the main drag. You can cut behind into Victoria Park with very little issues and then take side streets to Las Olas. And that's maybe 5 or 6 pm, not all day. Most of the time its a non-issue. When you use all caps like that for Traffic, that reminds me more of I-95 South from Aventura to Downtown at 8AM or I-95 North from Downtown to Aventura after 4PM.
Now that's traffic! ($10+ express lanes!)

Old 04-10-2021, 01:31 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
What about east Boca Raton or East Delray Beach? Super cute areas. Guaranteed to find a synagogue... close to Ft lauderdale for when u want it. You can find some real modern and chic places there too for that budget. It's worth a look-see.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:11 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Maybe between the Tunnel to Rocco's Tacos there is traffic, but that's the main drag. You can cut behind into Victoria Park with very little issues and then take side streets to Las Olas. And that's maybe 5 or 6 pm, not all day. Most of the time its a non-issue. When you use all caps like that for Traffic, that reminds me more of I-95 South from Aventura to Downtown at 8AM or I-95 North from Downtown to Aventura after 4PM.
Now that's traffic! ($10+ express lanes!)
Nah - false. Almost all the streets around Las Olas are filled with traffic approaching from either Broward Blvd or the South. Las Olas itself is stop and go all day long once you hit Rocco’s. The streets behind (Victoria Park) can provide traffic relief but at the expense of driving through a maze.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nah - false. Almost all the streets around Las Olas are filled with traffic approaching from either Broward Blvd or the South. Las Olas itself is stop and go all day long once you hit Rocco’s. The streets behind (Victoria Park) can provide traffic relief but at the expense of driving through a maze.
This is so incorrect.

I live on Las Olas and work on Las Olas. Even on weekend nights when there is a lot of traffic, with the exception of 15th Street the side streets are empty.

I sound like a broken record but I strongly second Victoria Park. It's a gorgeous neighborhood and with everything on your wish list.

It's a fantastic neighborhood with a great mix of white, black, hispanic, families, singles, kids, straight, gay, everything. Some parts of close enough to walk to Las Olas or at the very least, a cheap uber.

Rio Vista is also a strong contender but your budget will not go as far there. Victoria Park is about 20% less expensive.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:35 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is so incorrect.

I live on Las Olas and work on Las Olas. Even on weekend nights when there is a lot of traffic, with the exception of 15th Street the side streets are empty.
Maybe some of the smaller residential side streets, sure, but any main road in that area is very difficult with traffic. Trying to portray the area as mostly traffic free is nonsense.

Also, the OP said they like clean, modern architecture. That is not Victoria Park.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 959,918 times
Quote:
Hollywood Beach is a great option though it doesn't have a whole lot on your list (soccer leagues, close to synagogues) but its a great place to live for all the other items.
Hollywood Beach is close to a bunch of synagogues, what gives you the impression that it isn't compared to places like Victoria Park or Las Olas?

Old 04-18-2021, 05:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Maybe some of the smaller residential side streets, sure, but any main road in that area is very difficult with traffic. Trying to portray the area as mostly traffic free is nonsense.

Also, the OP said they like clean, modern architecture. That is not Victoria Park.
Kidyankee764 are you in FL now? I thought you moved from CT to Virginia or the Carolinas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area