Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 03:57 AM

4 posts, read 4,233 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into relocating to the south from the northeast, and Florida is one of the places I'm researching. I'm a 31-year-old black female professional. My goal would be to work in universities (as a librarian). I'm not a party person and I like to live in an area that's safe and quiet, but a very short drive from the action (entertainment, arts, culture, restaurants, music, shopping). I like variety in scenery, so not beaches ALL the time. I like to go for drives and see different scenery. I want to find a long-term relationship with a man, either around my age or 10-20 years older would be the max age gap, and I do date outside of my race. I want to live in a diverse area (black and white people, not too one sided; yes, I understand there's other ethnicities too and not just those 2), and with affordable housing, whether it be renting or buying. I also want to buy rental property eventually, once I get settled and get my money there. I want a long-term relationship with substance and friendships with substance, so I'm not about a lot of superficiality. I'm also a filmmaker on the side and want to be in or at least a reasonable drive to an arts and film community. I also want to be in a progressive place where I don't have to come upon prejudices a lot. Where should I look in Broward County with all of this in mind?

If not Broward County, other suggestions in FL are also welcomed. Eastern and southern FL is preferred though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCracer112 View Post
I'm looking into relocating to the south from the northeast, and Florida is one of the places I'm researching. I'm a 31-year-old black female professional. My goal would be to work in universities (as a librarian). I'm not a party person and I like to live in an area that's safe and quiet, but a very short drive from the action (entertainment, arts, culture, restaurants, music, shopping). I like variety in scenery, so not beaches ALL the time. I like to go for drives and see different scenery. I want to find a long-term relationship with a man, either around my age or 10-20 years older would be the max age gap, and I do date outside of my race. I want to live in a diverse area (black and white people, not too one sided; yes, I understand there's other ethnicities too and not just those 2), and with affordable housing, whether it be renting or buying. I also want to buy rental property eventually, once I get settled and get my money there. I want a long-term relationship with substance and friendships with substance, so I'm not about a lot of superficiality. I'm also a filmmaker on the side and want to be in or at least a reasonable drive to an arts and film community. I also want to be in a progressive place where I don't have to come upon prejudices a lot. Where should I look in Broward County with all of this in mind?

If not Broward County, other suggestions in FL are also welcomed. Eastern and southern FL is preferred though.
Florida is sort of a hard place because people move here, expect it to be just like where they came from, realize it isn't, and move back. Lots of transients so sometimes it is hard making long term, meaningful friendships.

One thing you will find is South Florida is heavily Latino but Broward isn't quite heavily mixed as much as Miami-Dade. Not speaking Spanish isn't an issue but if your group of friends are all from Cuba, you will find them reverting to Spanish in your company leaving you out of the conversation. The other thing is that many of your black friends will not identify with being AA but Hispanic or the island they were born.

As a 31 year old professional, I would look at living in Flagler Village.

Brickell in Miami would be my second suggestion.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:38 PM

18 posts, read 19,310 times
Hello

Old 01-12-2021, 08:00 PM

71 posts, read 81,329 times
Ofcourse the best areas are places like Bricknell, Miami Beach, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Ft.Lauderdale beach.
The problem I see here is there are few areas which are both safe and affordable.I found most of Miami city away from the core downtown areas shabby looking. Its either safe and expensive or cheap and unsafe .

If you want cheap place with diverse population, i like homestead further south or look at the area between Miami and Ft Lauderdale. I saw a nice mix of races in these places. The big question is jobs. Living in Miami, you will be fine as a tourist with out Spanish knowledge. But Spanish may be needed where there is interaction with Spanish population(most of the general public). I am myself curious about Hallandale and Hollywood beach areas. They seem to be borderline areas. Not the best but okay enough.

Best come and find an extended stay hotel and get a feel for areas before you decide.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:27 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,152 times
Do you have job offers in any of these areas? Where you work would make a HUGE difference in where you should be looking to live.

You might prefer an area like Plantation or Davie, as it'll be a very nice mix of diversity, centralized, and close to the Universities in Davie. Also a ton to do in the area.

But at the same time, nobody would suggest living in Plantation if you got a job offer at University of Miami.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Weston is very safe, quiet, manicured, with easy access to everything by car.

Another nice little area is the Artesia townhomes in Sunrise. Resort like surroundings, safe. Quick access to highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area