Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am sorry, but it isn't "all over America" there are still plenty of places in this country that you can leave your doors unlocked and still feel safe.
What does this thread have to do with crime? Regardless, name a major metro area where you can leave your doors unlocked anywhere. Oh, and name another major metro area that was safer in the 80s or 90s since you say "still". Actually there are a lot of parts of the Tri-State area of NYC and also in the rest belt that are very safe places where you can leave your door unlocked but in the sunbelt it's pretty rare, yet they ***** about the crime up there and keep on heading south looking for something better. The rest of the places where people REALLY leave their doors unlocked for years and don't have problems are rural. I mean, you are right, there are places that you don't have to lock your doors, but get real, these places aren't where you would want to live. There is a whole industry dedicated to security systems and door locks for a reason, they don't sell them exclusively in Florida .

Actually I left my key in the door one time for four days when I went to Disney and nobody robbed me.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-08-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM

518 posts, read 2,227,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
How anyone can call this place home is beyond me. It's one big happy hour.
Having to make a living is a powerful incentive for staying away from that scene. Doing our budget and seeing where the money goes (gas, utilities, property taxes, windstorm insurance) pretty much eliminates my temptation to participate in the "happy hour" lifestyle on more than an occasional basis, and that goes for most people I know here. This is a great place to have fun -- but you've gotta stay focused (it helps that my work is fun, at least it is occasionally).

It's not easy. I've seen too many talented people come here and crash because either (a) they spent all their money on happy hours, or worse; or (b) their focus on the party side of Fort Lauderdale carried over into their work. Then again, there's a significant trust-fund baby population here that doesn't have to worry about such matters.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Well said chisoxfan. It's there when you need it but I intentionally distanced myself from that by living with all of the soccer moms so far out west because I don't want to get too caught up in that scene...the city itself to me IS a giant happy hour. There is other stuff there too but it's all just distractions from the main attraction...even though they are trying to go "upscale" it will always be Fort Lauderdale and that promiscuous, transient feel has existed since the 70s. They have tried to do away with that image in the past 10 or so years with some success but I don't see that as something that's ever going to go away.

Actually I probably would live in downtown Delray or Hollywood but the location wouldn't work for me.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,792 times
Default guard always up

Between the gypsies, the violence on tv, and people always moving somewhere else, I can see what you would have your guard up. But that is ok because even with it up, you will find and make some good friends here. In every place you live there will be good and bad people.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,792 times
Default crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What does this thread have to do with crime? Regardless, name a major metro area where you can leave your doors unlocked anywhere. Oh, and name another major metro area that was safer in the 80s or 90s since you say "still". Actually there are a lot of parts of the Tri-State area of NYC and also in the rest belt that are very safe places where you can leave your door unlocked but in the sunbelt it's pretty rare, yet they ***** about the crime up there and keep on heading south looking for something better. The rest of the places where people REALLY leave their doors unlocked for years and don't have problems are rural. I mean, you are right, there are places that you don't have to lock your doors, but get real, these places aren't where you would want to live. There is a whole industry dedicated to security systems and door locks for a reason, they don't sell them exclusively in Florida .

Actually I left my key in the door one time for four days when I went to Disney and nobody robbed me.

Where do you live JK. I live in a gated community and never use to lock doors but during the day and night now I feel we need to do so. Nothing has happened out here but Miramar has been having some crazy people hit the area lately.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
CTR-
What does this thread have to do with crime? "Your guard is up here", In my view when someone says this it means they can't trust people for many reason, one being people taking their stuff.

Regardless, name a major metro area where you can leave your doors unlocked anywhere. Cambridge, Ma or Ventura CA or Half Moon Bay CA

East Kendall has been having a crime wave of sorts, luckily the cops have caught a few of them and are patrolling the area big time now. I am glad you feel safe, but I would never leave my doors or windows unlocked. Leaving my windows open at night during the "winter" is out of the question, you are just making it easy for someone to climb right into your house. You can do it, but you are just asking to get robbed. And I live in a "safe" part of Miami. Look crime happens here in South Florida (just like it happens in all areas of this country) but some people make it seem like its a safe place to live.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
Unhappy I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I feel like people down here are so damn fake and artificial and always want something from me....i'm now very cautious about meeting people and guard always seem to be up..there are so many transients down here ,coming and going, it's not easy making friends
I totally agree with you. Perhaps one of the reasons we get so many new people is the warm weather, lack of winter, etc. Once the new arrivals find out the good & bad aspects of living down here, they take off and leave ASAP.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:34 PM

876 posts, read 3,794,554 times
I was born and raised in Ft.Lauderdale. Went to Catholic School, the whole 9 yards. In the past five years that I can recall, Ft.Lauderdale has went completely downhill. I used to love it here and NEVER thought I'd leave this place. We luckily sold our home at the peak of the market and cashed in bigtime and bought a nice home in North Carolina.

It took some time adjusting up here, definetly a change of pace. When I visit back in FL, I keep looking around and thinking to myself "what is going on down here?" It's sad to see my tropical paradise has gone down the tubes. I hope one day it comes back, but I don't really see a good future for the area.

Keep your guard up...way up!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

Regardless, name a major metro area where you can leave your doors unlocked anywhere. Cambridge, Ma or Ventura CA or Half Moon Bay CA
Cambridge?? That's right across from Boston and the crime rate is about the same as Plantation, which is generally considered to not be the most dangerous place but not the safest. They had 684 burglaries. It's a great place, and for the type of area it is it's safe, but it's not "leave your doors unlocked". Ventura is a suburb of LA and akin to Weston or west Pines. Half Moon Bay is far from major. Anyway, the thread was a rude people thread, not a crime thread, and I agree that if you hang out with those transients or you ARE one than this is a seedy place. I don't know who the hell makes out South Florida to be "safe" but I don't know who makes out every place outside of it to be too. Broward County crime is right around the national average, and still is even with the upswing (which despite common belief, didn't start until a year ago ), there are good places and bad places, just like always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post

Keep your guard up...way up!

Keep it WAY up in Charlotte! You guys have like 2 carjackings a day (yes more than Ft. Lauderdale ).

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-10-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I totally agree with you. Perhaps one of the reasons we get so many new people is the warm weather, lack of winter, etc. Once the new arrivals find out the good & bad aspects of living down here, they take off and leave ASAP.
So true!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area