Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:11 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
There is NO place in the universe without negatives.

As for the caveat “if you have money”...Makes no sense at all. Any place is great to live if you have money, so I’m not sure what that was supposed to mean.
And that's exactly why questions like these - and the constant whining and complaining, whining and complaining, whining and complaining, whining and complaining - are meaningless.

These are simply human traits the world over in every language since Year One.

Just peruse any other state or city or country forum and read that humans whine and complain, whine and complain, whine and complain, whine and complain about weather, about rude people, about corruption, about traffic, about money, about jobs, about wages, about taxes, about insurance, about any and all other negatives imaginable and unimaginable.

There is no place without negatives, which means there is no place without negatives.

Indeed it's part of the universal charge.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 11-12-2020 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 08:08 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post

As for the caveat “if you have money”...Makes no sense at all. Any place is great to live if you have money, so I’m not sure what that was supposed to mean.
I think what the fellow meant was simple. South Florida is a fine place to live, providing your budget allows for it. While there are many fine places to live across America, on the cheap, Ft. Lauderdale isn't one of those. However, everything is relative.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:26 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
It's crowded, the traffic is awful, most of the architecture is ugly and tacky, the housing is ridiculously overpriced, and there are hordes of very unfriendly people - the vast majority of whom are from somewhere else.

But the weather is nice; and if you're old money rich, you would have the time and money to enjoy the water.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:36 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
It's crowded, the traffic is awful, most of the architecture is ugly and tacky, the housing is ridiculously overpriced, and there are hordes of very unfriendly people - the vast majority of whom are from somewhere else.
But the weather is nice; and if you're old money rich, you would have the time and money to enjoy the water.
Interesting. I haven't seen much of the "old" money in Ft. Lauderdale. Most of it so new, you can smell the ink on the bills. You're certainly right about the architecture.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:42 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I think what the fellow meant was simple. South Florida is a fine place to live, providing your budget allows for it. While there are many fine places to live across America, on the cheap, Ft. Lauderdale isn't one of those. However, everything is relative.
Correct.

Some places to live, you need more money to truly enjoy all it has to offer. Others, not so much. There are low cost of living areas where you can live exceptionally well on a low salary. South Florida is not that way. In other words, the difference between those with and without money in South Florida is more pronounced, and it has a bigger impact on what you can do. That's not to say South Florida can't be amazing on a low income, it's just that the disparity is greater.

Last edited by BNBR; 11-12-2020 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Same as the rest of the state its far to expensive to live, considering the ridiculously low wages. The impact of that is so much worse in S. Florida. Combine that with out of control growth, and the rest is obvious. Problems and more problems. It's just people don't bother to consider that. It is not all life under a Palm Tree, with Lollipops growing from its branches in Florida. In S. Florida the outrageous cost of Living and low wages, the overcrowded conditions and the really really rude people and traffic. That pretty much says it all. Unless one has big bucks and a buffer to some of the problems listed. Then I don't get it. Why the hell do people bother going there.
Huh? There are places in Florida that are outrageously affordable.

Sounds like your negativity has clouded your vision and you can't see the beauty as it smacks you right in the face.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Huh? There are places in Florida that are outrageously affordable.

Sounds like your negativity has clouded your vision and you can't see the beauty as it smacks you right in the face.
Yeah I can just imagine where these affordable places are in Fla and who they are for.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
I lived in Miami-Dade for 43 years for my career. Negatives include: high cost of homeowner's and automobile insurance. Rude, aggressive drivers. Unfriendly people who live in their own bubble. High cost of food. Fewer choices of items at the grocery. Overworked, underpaid people who get so tired of the constant heat, humidity and bugs = short tempers and selfish attitudes. No sense of community or belonging. A rather soul-less place consisting of so many people who are from somewhere else and many of whom are planning on moving back 'home'. Hurricanes which can damage your home/property/garden 'overnight' after years of investing time, sweat, blood and tears into your property.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yeah I can just imagine where these affordable places are in Fla and who they are for.
I mean, I have a home in an extremely affordable area. It's outstanding. Who do you think they are for?

But yeah, I guess if fishing, jet skiis, boating, friendly neighbors, community events, clean streets, easy access to major airports/cities, and beautiful parks and hiking trails sounds miserable to you, than hey, more power to ya. Just glad I'm not as miserable as you.

What does "Who they are for" even mean?

Old 11-13-2020, 10:08 AM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I lived in Miami-Dade for 43 years for my career. Negatives include: high cost of homeowner's and automobile insurance. Rude, aggressive drivers. Unfriendly people who live in their own bubble. High cost of food. Fewer choices of items at the grocery. Overworked, underpaid people who get so tired of the constant heat, humidity and bugs = short tempers and selfish attitudes. No sense of community or belonging. A rather soul-less place consisting of so many people who are from somewhere else and many of whom are planning on moving back 'home'. Hurricanes which can damage your home/property/garden 'overnight' after years of investing time, sweat, blood and tears into your property.
That's my fear. I love working in the yard and creating a beautiful backyard oasis. I would want a pool, outdoor bar, lounging area and beautiful landscaping. I would probably invest just as much in the yard then inside the house. To have a hurricane come and swoosh everything away would devastate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area