Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 16,879 times

Advertisements

Sorry if a repeat question, but..
I see a lot of very affordable condos online (Zillow, Trulia, etc..) in Imperial Point.
There is a lot of what is "click bait" for me, because I am not 55+ and many listings are restricted to that.
Are the listings I do find, for real?

Any idea if this would be a good move? Single white male, no family, no dependents. no baggage. I do need one clean, crime-free parking spot.

I have begged Trulia and Zillow to install some kind of "not age restricted" filter/button in their sites, but they don't listen. I am not going to pay $300,000 for a one bedroom condo when they sell them for $55k next door to folks only 10 years my elder. So when I see something reasonable near the water, I get excited.

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 03:04 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,843,196 times
Zillow's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. One of their problems, as you are pointing out, is mixing 55+ homes into their comps, if there are such nearby, which results in Zestimates that are way off.

Imperial Point is a very nice area, with a bunch of older, but well maintained homes, for the most part.

Looking on the MLS, I am seeing a few Non-55+ 1BR condo listings between $95K and $140K. They are not near the water though.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Thanks, it is good to get a confirmation that there are deals that are what is shown on end-user websites.

With regard to near the water, I was thinking more of Hallandale Beach and Hollywood, which I have lived in both and visited a ton. I had a rental for $550 a month back in the day, in what is now called The Wave, and is out my stratosphere to afford.

But as for surfing Trulia ads, that area is notorious for the "too cheap to be true" listing, which you chase down only to find it is a 55+ with a fee so high you may as well just picture yourself in a mortgage twice as high.

Thanks again

Old 05-08-2020, 09:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianstingRay View Post
I see a lot of very affordable condos online (Zillow, Trulia, etc..) in Imperial Point.
There is a lot of what is "click bait" for me, because I am not 55+ and many listings are restricted to that.

Any idea if this would be a good move? Single white male, no family, no dependents. no baggage. I do need one clean, crime-free parking spot.

I have begged Trulia and Zillow to install some kind of "not age restricted" filter/button in their sites, but they don't listen. I am not going to pay $300,000 for a one bedroom condo when they sell them for $55k next door to folks only 10 years my elder. So when I see something reasonable near the water, I get excited.

Thanks a bunch
A $55,000 condo will get you a crime infested neighborhood directly off I95.

If you want podunk USA real estate prices, move to podunk USA.

A decent, one bedroom condo on the water in a good neighborhood, in an older building with no amenities, will start at $200,000. Anything cheaper will most likely be in a cash only building which is why the prices are low.

I like Imperial Point.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Blue Herons!

I was thinking something like this, would be good for just landing safely in South Fla free of debt, and not having to retreat to the North at the first sign of career trouble. Or just cheap enough to own and only live in part of the year :

https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/fort-lau...08--2094231920

How about this, for "on the water" at about $100k?

https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/sunny-is...60--2034910254

From the Google Maps, it looks like it's under an overpass, so something is dislocated there, but no mention of 55+. No HOA mentioned, which we all know is an error of omission. Just showing, the market can look cheap from a browser.

Thanks again

Old 05-08-2020, 10:20 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Thanks, Blue Herons!

I was thinking something like this, would be good for just landing safely in South Fla free of debt, and not having to retreat to the North at the first sign of career trouble. Or just cheap enough to own and only live in part of the year :

https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/fort-lau...08--2094231920

How about this, for "on the water" at about $100k?

https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/sunny-is...60--2034910254

From the Google Maps, it looks like it's under an overpass, so something is dislocated there, but no mention of 55+. No HOA mentioned, which we all know is an error of omission. Just showing, the market can look cheap from a browser.

Thanks again
I like the Imperial Point unit. Ride through the neighborhood as it is behind the hospital and some of that area can be sketchy.

I'm guessing the Sunny Isles building is all cash and it looks like it is a 55+ building.

I like older buildings, they are usually larger units.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:42 AM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I like the Imperial Point unit. Ride through the neighborhood as it is behind the hospital and some of that area can be sketchy.

I'm guessing the Sunny Isles building is all cash and it looks like it is a 55+ building.

I like older buildings, they are usually larger units.
some older buildings can be no elevators and no in unit laundry.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the lively discussion.

Your replies bolster my complaint against Trulia and Zillow, that they need to enforce accurate listings or even go as far as create a new "55+" version of their websites. Housing is the highest cost of living for most people, and yet the true prices of properties are not made clear to all.

[ Rant deleted from here ]

Thanks

Old 05-10-2020, 03:26 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,651,393 times
Quote:

Thanks a bunch
You have to arm yourself with a real good and proficient Real Estate agent in the area to search for the most suitable property for you according your criteria. I do not recommend you Zillow and Trulia. Those platforms are not accurate. Only realtors have the license to access Matrix MLS. Stay with a professional from searching to contract. There are at the present time for all ages 19 condos for sale in Imperial Point area of 1/1 and 2/2 between $99 K and $289 K

Last edited by Angel Calzadilla; 05-10-2020 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 09:12 PM

Funny re-reading this after 2 years of the Democrat's hyper-inflation. I assume anything I could get as a 2nd home now, would cost more than my primary mortgage. Never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area