Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 03:09 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times

Advertisements

Gay, professional Latino male here in his 30s. I am thinking of moving to the Delray or Miami area. My dad lives in Jupiter and I go every year, and when I do go I go to Delray every time. I love Delray because it's a city that I feel is the perfect mix of having a vibrant downtown area, with things to do, while not be overwhelming. I also love that you are close to both WPB and Ft. Lauderdale.

My question though is do you think as a gay professional in my 30s that Delray Beach will be good enough? I currently live in Chicago, and while I am gay, that's not something I really revolve my life around. Most of my friends are straight and I rarely go to gay bars, so having to have a major gay presence is not as important.

But I do want to be somewhere where I feel there will be a lot of other people around my age (30s-40s) and that are professionals. I love eating out at different restaurants, water sports, being in the sun. I love plants and nature overall and experiencing other cultures too. So I like to be active, outside and love to explore new places. Living somewhere walkable too is ideal.

With that being said, my worry with Delray Beach is maybe I might get too bored?

For reference, I would be working remotely and take my current job with me. My salary by the time I move would be $96k which I would think works well in Delray Beach? Wouldn't be looking to buy quite yet but to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Gay, professional Latino male here in his 30s. I am thinking of moving to the Delray or Miami area. My dad lives in Jupiter and I go every year, and when I do go I go to Delray every time. I love Delray because it's a city that I feel is the perfect mix of having a vibrant downtown area, with things to do, while not be overwhelming. I also love that you are close to both WPB and Ft. Lauderdale.

My question though is do you think as a gay professional in my 30s that Delray Beach will be good enough? I currently live in Chicago, and while I am gay, that's not something I really revolve my life around. Most of my friends are straight and I rarely go to gay bars, so having to have a major gay presence is not as important.

But I do want to be somewhere where I feel there will be a lot of other people around my age (30s-40s) and that are professionals. I love eating out at different restaurants, water sports, being in the sun. I love plants and nature overall and experiencing other cultures too. So I like to be active, outside and love to explore new places. Living somewhere walkable too is ideal.

With that being said, my worry with Delray Beach is maybe I might get too bored?

For reference, I would be working remotely and take my current job with me. My salary by the time I move would be $96k which I would think works well in Delray Beach? Wouldn't be looking to buy quite yet but to rent.
Actually Ft. Lauderdale seems to have the most concentrated gay community and social life. Lots of people your age and seems to be booming economically. Not sure what is going on in Miami. Used to be a gay community around South Beach, but that may be the group that has migrated to FLL.

Delray is ok, but downtown during season is not that great--crowded, hard to park, lines in bars and restaurants. There is definitely a downtown Delray scene, but there is a mix of gen x-ers, millennials, middle-age couples and families downtown. I do know some gay couples here--but they are sort of homebodies. When they go out, they go hang out with friends in FTL. I would check out FTL first, unless there is a reason you don't like it.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Actually Ft. Lauderdale seems to have the most concentrated gay community and social life. Lots of people your age and seems to be booming economically. Not sure what is going on in Miami. Used to be a gay community around South Beach, but that may be the group that has migrated to FLL.

Delray is ok, but downtown during season is not that great--crowded, hard to park, lines in bars and restaurants. There is definitely a downtown Delray scene, but there is a mix of gen x-ers, millennials, middle-age couples and families downtown. I do know some gay couples here--but they are sort of homebodies. When they go out, they go hang out with friends in FTL. I would check out FTL first, unless there is a reason you don't like it.
Please note that being close to a gay community isn't super important but doesn't hurt. What are some areas you would suggest in Fort Lauderdale, that can give me a sort of Delray Beach vibe? I've been to Wilton Manors and while nice it's, I want to reiterate, living in a gay community is not crucial.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I agree with Enigma. I say this with the caveat that I don't actually know any of the downtown/nightlife regions well besides Miami-Dade, but just the impression I have overall is that FTL will be much better for a young professional, not to mention gay. So unless you're going to visit your dad daily, I'd rather be down in the FTL region.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Find the job first and relocate from there.

That being said, Delray gets old really fast as it's so touristy.

I agree that the eastern Ft Lauderdale area would be a better fit.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area