Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times

Advertisements

I love swimming and wading in the ocean and rarely go deeper than waist deep...i am 5'4 but I just had an encounter with a shark. The shark looked like a bull shark and was swimming about in crotch deep waters here in Hollywood and was only a foot away from me. It looked to be about my height but massively fat.

Everyone ran out of the ocean..this was around 5pm on a nice warm August day. Is it possible they come out more around 5 and later? Can they be avoided in the mornings?

Every few months I also hear about people getting bit by small sharks around hallandale beach but these shark are much smaller than the one I saw.

What could be driving these animals so close to Shore? I wonder if they were trying to feed on the heaps of seaweed on the shoreline but I didn't see any fish swimming around them.

Help!!! I want to enjoy swimming in the ocean again ����

1. Is there certain time of day to swim or not swim to avoid being near Sharks?

2. Why was this massive shark doing in 2.5 feet of water?

3. Is it a seasonal thing? Perhaps more sharks are driven to this area during the late summer months or rainy season?

Last edited by Pear Martini; 08-29-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
This is the first year in my memory (I have been in South Florida since 2000) that there are so many shark encounters in our waters.

I saw a small shark bite someone right in front of me last summer, and now this summer it seems like there are more sightings and bites.

Not sure what brings them here - we don't have that much fish to hunt by our beaches.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,282 times
They like our beaches just like the humans do! Let them enjoy!

Just kidding, I have no idea what drives them close to our shores, it might have to do with changes in ocean temperatures.

However, I do notice that sightings in shallow water are more common right around this time of year from around late July to end of September. Maybe there is some correlation with Hurricane season?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 AM

BTW there was a small nurse shark swimming literally between my feet a few weeks ago at the Lauderdale-by-the-Sea beach.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Wow...i had no idea how present they were.

Do nurse sharks bite?

A man was bit on both legs in July at hauliver beach. I was reading that at New Smryna Beach and Boca and Delray there are more shark sightings than other parts of Florida.

I might wait to get back in the ocean until hurricane season is over.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Do nurse sharks bite?

A man was bit on both legs in July at hauliver beach. I was reading that at New Smryna Beach and Boca and Delray there are more shark sightings than other parts of Florida.

I might wait to get back in the ocean until hurricane season is over.
Yes, sharks usually prefer beaches to the north.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
. I was reading that at New Smryna Beach and Boca and Delray there are more shark sightings than other parts of Florida.
New Smyrna is the Shark Bite capital of the U.S.

Its mostly due to the surfers though near the jettys.

Miami Beach is rare to see sharks and hollywood is as well. When the life guards see them, normally they are further out.

Once in a while some shark will come close to a human on shore and maybe a bite or two will happen (like the Haulover guy).

We go to the beach all the time (every month a few times) and I can't think of the last time I've seen a shark.

On the West Coast we see stingray almost every time...dolphins, manatees, etc. much more marine life.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:02 PM

440 posts, read 517,218 times
Default Stay Out of the Water

More people than anywhere else in the world get bitten each year by sharks in Florida. If you want to avoid being bitten by a shark, stay out of the water and use the beach showers to cool off if they are provided at the beaches you frequent.

In countries like Australia, you can safely swim in the ocean at some beaches with the swimming area surrounded by nets that keep the sharks from entering the swimming area but sadly for the sharks, they sometimes become entangled in the nets and drown.

It's unfortunate that the state of Florida does not post signs on the beaches to warn swimmers that sharks may be present but that's Flori-duh government for you.

You can reduce your risk of being bitten by a shark by swimming in areas where lifeguards are posted who can warn swimmers to get out of the water if they sight a shark in the area but unlike what the movies depict, most sharks do not swim at the surface with their dorsal fins exposed when they attack swimmers so most people don't even see the shark coming at them before they are bitten.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:48 PM

356 posts, read 284,468 times
sharks feed at night. i stay out of the water from dusk until dawn.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM

515 posts, read 623,976 times
End of summer into Fall is when migratory baitfish swim south for warmer waters. Particularly, mullet. You will see large mullet schools heading south near the beach and in the Intercoastal every year at this time. Great fishing off the beach for Tarpon, Shark, Snook, etc... Early morning and dusk is when the bite is on!

I fish heavily this time of year off the beach. Swim? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area