Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 AM

134 posts, read 176,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I have lived in various cities throughout the country including other Florida cities and never have I seen as bad of a road network as South Florida, to be frank, the road infrastructure is HORRENDOUS down here, most roads are severely undersized for the volume of traffic that they handle, major intersections with no turn lanes, no traffic signals are synchronized causing unnecessary stop and go traffic, drawbridge signals are not synchronized with surrounding traffic signals resulting in more traffic, etc... Why is this? Why is something as simple as synchronizing traffic lights not happening anywhere? What is the local government doing about it? Looking forward to some insight from more tenured South Floridians..
I seem to remember that you moved here from the DC area the same time I did. I agree! I can't believe the number of car accidents I see on a DAILY level, I never saw this many in DC or the DC burbs...or the NYC burbs for that matter. PLUS, the amount my car insurance has gone up since moving to FL is outrageous.

One problem I see is the U-Turn system, something that is not very common in the Northeast. I think most people don't know how to use them correctly and take way too many chances using them. For instance, making a left turn or u-turn and crossing four lanes of oncoming traffic is a recipe for disaster as far as I can see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
South FL's road infrastructure is vastly superior to D.C.'s roads and infrastructure. DC's situation is terrible. I'm not even sure how you compare the two. The entire DC/VA/MD metro area is very narrow, heavily congested roads with slow speed limits. That is why accidents are fewer, because when cars go 25 mph versus 55 mph, the risks are greatly reduced.

I also don't understand the complaints about synchronization. This is something that Broward does well in my opinion, and synchronization is non-existent in many other cities. I think the lights in general turn much quicker here than in other parts of the state. Orlando's traffic isn't any better, and their expressways are too narrow with too few lanes.

The main problem with South FL's infrastructure is that it was mostly built in the 1960's (in Miami) and 1980's in Broward, and the population has quadrupled in that time. The original designs and concepts were good, but nobody anticipated such a dramatic rise in population. They can only widen and expand roads so much. Now that land has been fully built out, there is nowhere to add new roads without demolishing entire communities. The future is railways.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Depends what part of South Florida. Roads are great, wide, and move traffic nicely in my area and the areas I travel in most of the time.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:48 AM

328 posts, read 473,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
One problem I see is the U-Turn system, something that is not very common in the Northeast. I think most people don't know how to use them correctly and take way too many chances using them. For instance, making a left turn or u-turn and crossing four lanes of oncoming traffic is a recipe for disaster as far as I can see!
US1 in coral gables... Nuff said... some intersections don't have exclusive u turn signals and you have to wait several cycles sometimes due to the heavy traffic coming from the other sense

Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
South FL's road infrastructure is vastly superior to D.C.'s roads and infrastructure. DC's situation is terrible. I'm not even sure how you compare the two. The entire DC/VA/MD metro area is very narrow, heavily congested roads with slow speed limits. That is why accidents are fewer, because when cars go 25 mph versus 55 mph, the risks are greatly reduced.

I also don't understand the complaints about synchronization. This is something that Broward does well in my opinion, and synchronization is non-existent in many other cities. I think the lights in general turn much quicker here than in other parts of the state. Orlando's traffic isn't any better, and their expressways are too narrow with too few lanes.

The main problem with South FL's infrastructure is that it was mostly built in the 1960's (in Miami) and 1980's in Broward, and the population has quadrupled in that time. The original designs and concepts were good, but nobody anticipated such a dramatic rise in population. They can only widen and expand roads so much. Now that land has been fully built out, there is nowhere to add new roads without demolishing entire communities. The future is railways.

I think only Broward Blvd lights are synchronized.

Everywhere else (even in Weston) I always hit every single red light which is extremely annoying.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:32 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I think only Broward Blvd lights are synchronized.

Everywhere else (even in Weston) I always hit every single red light which is extremely annoying.

A lot more than just Broward Blvd are sync'd.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
A lot more than just Broward Blvd are sync'd.
I guess not the roads that I take

Old 12-14-2016, 07:52 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I always assumed that the reason I "hit every red light" was a sign that the lights are indeed synchronized, but I'm going above the speed limit that is entered into the algorithm or whatever concept is used for traffic flow/timing. I assumed I was just going faster than the speed they want me to go (in that "sweet spot" where the cars hit all green lights). I say "assume" because I don't have enough impulse control to go slower...

Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
I do not drive that much in Miami Beach anymore, drivers are too crazy I will never buy another fancy car here ever. Thinking of getting an old Subaru just as a beater with the way people drive here.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
Yup. I see way to many "jet le me soviens" plates which I always get stuck behind.
Quebec cars seem to be showing up all over Florida. Je me souviens means I remember. I guess their plate is letting us know, that they remember to come to Florida every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area